SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bombshell: Kerry Met With Terrorists
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mary Ann Parker
LCDR

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:09 am    Post subject: Bombshell: Kerry Met With Terrorists Reply with quote

I know that Newsweek reported the Edwards quote, however,
I have not seen this part yet. If it is posted zap it.
Mary Ann

With Carl Limbacher and NewsMax.com Staff
For the story behind the story...

Sunday, Nov. 7, 2004 10:11 a.m. EST
http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2004/11/7/101350.shtmlDiary

Bombshell: Kerry Met With Terrorists

In a bombshell development that could have turned President Bush's victory into a landslide had it come out before the election, John Kerry wrote in his Vietnam War diary that he met with "terrorists" in Paris - a revelation that "flabbergasted" his running mate, John Edwards.

All during the campaign, Kerry had adamantly refused to release his diary, claiming that he'd given exclusive rights to use the document to his biographer, Douglas Brinkely.
But when Brinkley told reporters that wasn't true, Kerry still declined to make the diary public. Now we know why. According to Newsweek magazine, "Kerry's diary included mention of a meeting with some North Vietnamese terrorists in Paris." Though Kerry's sit-down with North Vietnamese representatives had been reported late in the campaign, his description of them as "terrorists" would have set off smoke alarms.

The prospect that the top Democrat was willing to negotiate with "terrorists" 35 years ago would undoubtedly have cemented the Bush campaign's central message on Kerry: Anyone who would negotiate with terrorists can't be trusted with U.S. national security in a post-9/11 world.

John Edwards was "flabbergasted" by the news, Newsweek said. He recognized immediately how important it was to keep Kerry's terrorist confab secret. "Let me get this straight," he told campaign staffers who delivered the shocker. "He met with terrorists? Oh, that's good."
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like some of us said replying to the Newsweek article, be careful with this. We only have the quote from Brinkley/Edwards saying he used the word "terrorist."

The term was not in wide useage back then and could be used to make any using it today to appear to be lieing or making false allegations, in an effort to discredit those making the charge.

Meeting with the "delegates" of the enemy in Paris should be enough by itself.

Just remember what a sneaky lieing dog you are dealing with.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewWaters wrote:
Just remember what a sneaky lieing dog you are dealing with.

On BOTH counts - Brinkley AND Kerry!
ocsparky101
PO1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I agree. The use of terrorist would not be a phrase from the 70s to describe the enemy in those days. If John Kerry used that phrase in his diary then I would think that it would have been a recently added entry by Kerry with the thought of deminishing his role then of meeting with a recognized government to meeting just with a group of thugs to get their demands on ending the war. I cannot imagine if I went and met with Osama Bin Laden today that the government would have a very good case against me as a colabrator since OBL has no recognized national association on the other hand had I done it with say the Taliban as Kerry did they would probably have an excellant case.
jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"terrorist", if I remember correctly, was used when referring to groups like the Weathermen, Black Panthers, etc. back in those days.

I think I remember references to "terrorist group", even, in stories about Patricia Hearst being kidnapped.

It would not surprise me to learn that Kerry routinely communicated with groups like those, either.
Steve Z
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:45 pm    Post subject: Kerry meeting Terrorists? Reply with quote

I suppose the Khmer Rouge could be considered a terrorist group at that time. There were also lots of planes hijacked to Cuba in that time period, and the hijackers/hostage takers could be considered terrorists.

While it might be too early to jump all over this story until it's checked out, anything that comes out of the diary might be useful for sinking Kerry in 2008, as well as other little gems that might be waiting to be discovered in the Vietnam archives.
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seriously doubt that Kerry used the word "terrorist" at that date. In any case you'd have to have access to the diary to prove that.

Our information comes from a Newsweek article, and that's one source removed from who was credited with saying "terrorist": Brinkley.

On other posts I've seen people express a desire to bring Mr. Brinkley back down to earth, too. Since Newsweek was quoting him, then one can do considerable damage to Mr. Brinkley by making this an issue. And if Brinkley, in his defense, puts the finger at Kerry, then you've got the big prize.

So as long as one doesn't get too far out on the limb too fast by accusing Kerry of meeting with terrorists, I think some good can be done with this revelation by putting Brinkley in the spotlight.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brinkley is struggling to regain his professional integrity which has been shredded - he allowed himself to be taken in by the claims of a poseur and ended up writing a novel, not the "presidential histories" for which had built a decent reputation.

My best guess is that Brinkley extrapolated his memory of Kerry's journal entries into today's parlance. The word "terrorist" was not used in reference to the North Vietnamese, back then.

Pounce on it, indeed. Let him pull another silly answer out of his ... um.... ear... as he has, before. ("Go bug Kerry about it!")
jrwhite85
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't need any more dirt - we need trucks to haul it where it needs to go, and people to drive them.

Impeach Kerry. Accountability for the Traitor!

JRWHITE[/b]
LimaCharlie
PO2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How flabbergasted do you think John Edwards would be if he saw the correct phrase?

Alleged communist and Presidential candidate met with avowed communists in Paris and preached communist dogma to American media and Congress for over thirty years and was never prosecuted for treason. Vice Presidential candidate accused of being useful fool.
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sneaky ba**** that I am, I see a logic chain here. If John Edwards, as reported, knew that John Kerry was mixed up with terrorists, then John Edward's continued support of sKerry and failure to report this fact, would constitute grounds for charging him (Edwards) with aiding and abetting terrorists, wouldn't it?
Dennis Gaiser
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:51 am    Post subject: newsweek and edwards Reply with quote

i'm sorry but i haven't read the newsweek article yet. what was the date that edwards made those comments about finding out about kerry meeting with the "terrorists"?
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
what was the date that edwards made those comments about finding out about kerry meeting with the "terrorists"?

I don't have the article in front of me right now, but I'm pretty sure it never said. Obviously by context it was sometime after sKerry got the nomination and had named John Edwards as his running mate.
Dennis Gaiser
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:32 am    Post subject: newsweek and edwards Reply with quote

I agree with you that there must be some legal connection that Edwards should have to answer to. Are there any lawyers out there?

Quote:
Sneaky ba**** that I am, I see a logic chain here. If John Edwards, as reported, knew that John Kerry was mixed up with terrorists, then John Edward's continued support of sKerry and failure to report this fact, would constitute grounds for charging him (Edwards) with aiding and abetting terrorists, wouldn't it?
armybrat
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ocsparky101 wrote:
Yes I agree. The use of terrorist would not be a phrase from the 70s to describe the enemy in those days. If John Kerry used that phrase in his diary then I would think that it would have been a recently added entry by Kerry with the thought of deminishing his role then of meeting with a recognized government to meeting just with a group of thugs to get their demands on ending the war. I cannot imagine if I went and met with Osama Bin Laden today that the government would have a very good case against me as a colabrator since OBL has no recognized national association on the other hand had I done it with say the Taliban as Kerry did they would probably have an excellant case.

Munich, 1972 anyone? Yes, terrorist was just coming into our Lexicon but It made a dramatic entrance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Epilogue All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: