SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ALERT: Copyright Law Limitation on Bloggers & Researcher

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barbie2004
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: ALERT: Copyright Law Limitation on Bloggers & Researcher Reply with quote

I am so suprised that I have not seen this publicized anywhere, given its prospective consequences! No, I found this by sheer accident and buried no less.

Conservative Revolution wrote (with my slight editting):

Quote:
Changing the Copyright Laws

Say Anything has a post about a bill currently in the Senate is would drastically change the Copyright Laws of the United States. What you are going to hear reported in the media is that this bill will outlaw file sharing on the Internet, but it is much more broad than that.

From what I've read, here is what would change (H.R. 2391):

1. It would make any use of illegally copyrighted material illegal.

2. It would undo the "Fair Use" clause in the copyright law that allows people to use copyrighted material without asking or paying for it. Fair Use is not stealing. For example, if I write something about a Say Anything post, I give them credit, but I don't have to ask to use it. At the same time though, I can not pass it off as my own work. This is big especially when you consider that "fair use" is used every day by every single media outlet known to man.

3. The Justice department could file civil lawsuits against copyright infringers.

4. This one is odd, but they want to allow people to use technology to "fast-forward" through "graphic" content. Fine with me, its your choice, but the law would also prohibit people from using technology to do the same thing with advertisements or announcements.

I'm fine with them outlawing file trading, its stealing, flat out. They aren't going to be able to ever stop it, but at least this will make them feel all warm and fuzzy inside for a few months.

I do have a real problem with them eliminating the "fair use" policy. Part of the "fair use" clause states that you can not profit from someone else's copyrighted material. If you can't profit off of it, why the hell can't you use it. Its big trouble if they remove that. The law suits would abound.

That part about not being able to fast forward through commercials is ********. That could really hurt TIVO, but I'd be interested to see how important Tivo users find that feature. The government will let you decide if you want to see some boobs or not, but you have to watch that ******* political commercial! That is the only reason why they are keeping that, so people with their Tivo's can't fast forward through political commercials.

Call your senator about this sh** (my editting). The bill has already passed the house so you know its going to pass the Senate in a hot minute.

Me.

Link to post: http://www.conservativerevolution.com/

(Scroll down to 11/16/2004 to see original post.)

The post above links to the following links for further information:

http://sayanythingblog.com/archives/005008.php

http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,65704,00.html

(In the above link, be sure to click on “HR2391 (.pdf)” to get the PDF of this legislation.)

How much will this legislation affect our ability to “post” original content for further analysis?

How would this legislation affect our ability to criticize and analyze events, both past and present, for activities such as “Memogate” and publicizing documents such as Halprin’s ABC Memo to staff regarding treatment of Bush vs. Kerry, and Kerry's escapades during and after the Vietnam war, etc.?

This legislation appears to me to be a “shut up our critics” and “protect MSM” legislation!

We need a plan folks and do something to stop this "muzzle" from going through.

Mad Evil or Very Mad Mad Evil or Very Mad Mad Evil or Very Mad Mad
Mary Ann Parker
LCDR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:46 pm    Post subject: This Needs Immediate Attention Reply with quote

As usual, hide the real deal deep inside a bill that
ostensibly will protect something and/or someone.

This needs immediate attention.
Seriously.

I will join a legit campaign to stop this in its tracks.

I understand the protection of the intellectual property of
of songwriters etc. We will be the biggest casualty.
That is the intention.
Mary Ann
tony54
PO2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree this needs immediate attention, and we have to start firing e-mails to Senators and Congressmen.
But I think those representatives listen with their wallets, and the music industry is lobbying them big time.
I don't even agree with banning file sharing, I don't do it but its no different than when I was young, one friend would buy an album and fifty of us would tape it on cassette, there were no computers or internet, but we did it anyhow. With modern technology today they do it without leaving the house. SO WHAT?
I think the government should stop trying to protect us from ourselves and leave us alone! (FREE)
Barbie2004
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your interest and I will be back with more thoughtful comment & suggestions.

Unfortunately, I have to go to the store & get some T-Day stuff going.

Will return later.

This is indeed something that requires our attention and vetting, especially those of us that cherish our First Ammendment Rights and/or are continuing the War on Kerry!

Happy Thanksgiving all!

God Bless this country and all of you!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: