SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Michael Barone on Swifties and old Media

View previous topic :: View next topic  
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:36 am    Post subject: Michael Barone on Swifties and old Media Reply with quote

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/michaelbarone/mb20041115.shtml

A bad election for old media
Michael Barone (archive)

November 15, 2004 | Print | Send

It was a bad election for Old Media. More than in any other election in the last half-century, Old Media -- The New York Times and CBS News, joined often but not always by The Washington Post, other major newspapers, ABC News and NBC News -- was an active protagonist in this election, working hard to prevent the re-election of George W. Bush and doing what it could for John Kerry. The problem for Old Media is that it no longer has the kind of monopoly control over political news that it enjoyed a quarter-century ago. And its efforts to help John Kerry proved counterproductive.

Compare the campaign of 2004 with the campaign of 1980. Back then, most voters got their news from the three nightly newscasts of CBS, ABC and NBC. The agenda for those newscasts was set largely by The New York Times, which network producers and anchors picked up on their doorsteps every morning in New York and Washington.

I had a theory in the 1980s that you could cover the presidential campaign from five rooms -- the two rooms in which the candidates' morning meetings were held and the three rooms, all on the West Side of Manhattan, in which the network producers and anchors decided what would run on the 6:30 newscasts. The interaction between the people in those five rooms pretty much determined what the voters would learn about the candidates and the campaigns.

Not so today. The ratings of the nightly newscasts have been on a downward trajectory since the 1980 campaign, as voters have been presented with other means of following the news. New Media has emerged: talk radio, Fox News Channel, the proliferation of Internet weblogs, which together make up the blogosphere. The left liberalism that is the political faith of practically all the personnel of Old Media is now being challenged by the various political faiths of New Media. Old Media no longer controls the agenda.

But it tries. At two crucial points in the campaign, Old Media used leaks from dubious sources to run stories intended to hurt the Bush campaign. The first was Dan Rather's Sept. 8 "60 Minutes" story on Bush's Texas Air National Guard record based on documents supplied by Texas Bush-hater Bill Burkett. CBS, admirably, posted the documents on its websites, and within 14 hours bloggers -- led by frontpage.com, powerlineblog.com and littlegreenfootballs.com -- had demonstrated that these purported 1972 documents had been produced on Microsoft Word. CBS's document experts, it turned out, had refused to authenticate them. Not until Sept. 20 did Rather acknowledge the documents were dubious. The story hurt Rather and CBS, not Bush.

Then there was the New York Times's front-page headline story Oct. 25 on supposedly missing weapons in Iraq. The story, based on leaks from International Atomic Energy Agency head Mohammed el-Baradei, who was trying to keep his job, turned out to be full of holes. But John Kerry decided to center his campaign for four of the five weekdays of the last full week of the campaign on the story. This, even though polls showed Bush had an advantage on handling Iraq. The Times story ended up hurting Kerry rather than helping him.

Finally, consider the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth story. Kerry strategists are now saying that Kerry should have responded to the Swifties' charges sooner. But they didn't because they were confident Old Media would bury the story. Which it did, for months, from the formation of the group in April, the publication of its book "Unfit for Command" and the TV ads that started running in the summer. Old Media loved the Kerry narrative (decorated hero returns from Vietnam and opposes the war) and didn't want to disturb it by airing the Swifties' charges.

But the story got aired on New Media, the Swifties' book zoomed to No. 1 on amazon.com and Kerry responded to the charges on Aug. 19. Then Old Media had to cover the story, and while many stories brushed the Swifties' charges aside as "discredited," more careful examinations, as in The Washington Post, showed the charges had some substance.

Kerry would have been better served, it turned out, by apologizing early on for his 1971 testimony that besmirched all troops in Vietnam. He could have done so in the spring when questioned by Tim Russert on "Meet the Press," but decided not to. Memo to future Democratic nominees: You can no longer rely on Old Media to hush up stories that hurt your cause. Your friends in Old Media don't have a monopoly any more.

Michael Barone is a senior writer for U.S.News & World Report and principal coauthor of The Almanac of American Politics
Ellis
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Michael Barone on Swifties and old Media Reply with quote

I B Squidly wrote:

A bad election for old media. Michael Barone, November 15, 2004

Kerry would have been better served, it turned out, by apologizing early on for his 1971 testimony that besmirched all troops in Vietnam. He could have done so in the spring when questioned by Tim Russert on "Meet the Press," but decided not to. Memo to future Democratic nominees: You can no longer rely on Old Media to hush up stories that hurt your cause. Your friends in Old Media don't have a monopoly any more.

Would an apology have been enough?

Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is ENORMOUS. Michael Barone's article may be the start of a Kerry Truthfest that should have been pursued by legitimate journalism commencing on April 22, 1971.

Quote:
Finally, consider the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth story. Kerry strategists are now saying that Kerry should have responded to the Swifties' charges sooner. But they didn't because they were confident Old Media would bury the story. Which it did, for months, from the formation of the group in April, the publication of its book "Unfit for Command" and the TV ads that started running in the summer. Old Media loved the Kerry narrative (decorated hero returns from Vietnam and opposes the war) and didn't want to disturb it by airing the Swifties' charges.

But the story got aired on New Media, the Swifties' book zoomed to No. 1 on amazon.com and Kerry responded to the charges on Aug. 19. Then Old Media had to cover the story, and while many stories brushed the Swifties' charges aside as "discredited," more careful examinations, as in The Washington Post, showed the charges had some substance.

Michael Dobbs...we're still standing by.
mach9
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful. Nevertheless--am still waiting for some pretty obvious correlations to be researched and reported: the effect of war-protesters on the entire education system in the U. S.--rising costs and failing standards due to military deferrments, academia's entirely predictable bias as a result of deferrment doctorates, secondary education's decline due to increased "education" majors and rise of the NEA; the decline, as well, of mandatory ethics and philosophy courses throughout the university system leading to corporate scandals. Not to mention the feminist (ALL feminist leaders were anti-war, and nearly all anti-war protesters sympathized with feminist goals) and gay movements (and ERA) which partnered with protesters in its formative stages and contributed to the remaking (or more acurately, undoing) of the military as the most noble of all service to country (think Tailhook & academy scandals!). And the list could go on and on and on. When do we begin connecting these bedfellows? These, too, are part of John Kerry's overlong shadow.
Barbie2004
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mach9 wrote:
Quote:
academia's entirely predictable bias as a result of deferrment doctorates, secondary education's decline due to increased "education" majors and rise of the NEA;

It is obvious that there is something terribly wrong with "the big picture" when you consider that the Swiftboat Vets could not get any media atttention, and then when they did get MSM attention, it was negative.

I am willing to bet that on May 4, 2004 when the Swiftboat Vets had their "Press Conference" they were suprised that they got no press. Had I known about the May 4 conference (which I didn't, because it got no press), I would have been suprised that they got any press at all (although they certainly deserved it and the country deserved to have heard the Swiftboats story).

Why do I say that? Since 1992, I have known that there was a problem with the MSM, and it has taken me all this time to figure out what that problem is.

It was by sheer accident. Due to necessity. I ended up in court (suprisingly enough, on a seemingly unrelated matter) and had to do my own research. What I found out, through all the court decisions I read, explains much of what the problem is and points the way to how we can fix it.

The Republicans will be more than happy to oblige and it will provide the country with so many benefits and individuals with so many personal freedoms.

I have quoted mach9 above because I have a theory on what is going on and, to explain it properly requires that I cite my sources (the legal cases and other citations).

Without going into it in too much detail now, blaming the NEA is on the right track, but too narrow of a view of "the big picture." That is, the NEA is only one labor union. You must look at ALL labor unions, therein lies the key(s).

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
sore loser
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Michael Barone on Swifties and old Media Reply with quote

Ellis wrote:
I B Squidly wrote:

A bad election for old media. Michael Barone, November 15, 2004

Would an apology have been enough?

Only if it comes from inside a prison cell.
Any time. Any place.
CVAN-65 and VA-196
The Big "E" and The Main Battery
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Epilogue All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: