SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VP Navy?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Looking for a shipmate?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cal BH
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife and I lived in IB when I was on the Connie in 1971. She worked at the Amphib base in Credit Union. My son lives in San Diego and it breaks my heart to see the changes in the city and specially Coronado Island.......
ASW Tech
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I still have VP31 tools in my toolbox.

You made me laugh. I was TAD to the tool room for awhile at VP-31 in '71. The hands typing this probably engraved the "VP-31" on those tools 33 years ago.

When guys would transfer out or get discharged they would bring in their tool box and I would inventory the contents and sign their checkout chit. I guess some of them must have taken advantage of the poor brain-damaged tweety-bird stuck in the tool crib and walked off with their tool boxes after they were inventoried in. It's just a crying shame...more proof that you should only assign tweets to do tweet stuff and nothing complicated like watching tools all frigging day long.
Viper
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Left the AF in '66, joined USN as AE3. Asked for tailhooks on carrier on east coast while I was being checked in at Charleston. Detailer said that my experience in big planes (B52, B47) qualified me for P3 duty in Barbers Pt. (VP28) Made AE2, went to B school in 1968. Asked for fighters on carrier on east coast. Went to EC121 (VW1) in Guam. Stopped asking for anything special, just put "anywhere world". Stayed in tailhooks most of the remainder of my career except for shore duty once in HT 8, later another shore duty in HSL 36 (which I terminated after 10 months to return to tailhooks where I belonged. Retired AVCM in 1988 on my birthday. On my birthday last week, daughter asked me if I was aware I've been retired for 16 years. If they start taking geezers back, I can be packed in less than an hour.
Cal BH
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ASW Tech wrote:
Quote:
I still have VP31 tools in my toolbox.

You made me laugh. I was TAD to the tool room for awhile at VP-31 in '71. The hands typing this probably engraved the "VP-31" on those tools 33 years ago.

When guys would transfer out or get discharged they would bring in their tool box and I would inventory the contents and sign their checkout chit. I guess some of them must have taken advantage of the poor brain-damaged tweety-bird stuck in the tool crib and walked off with their tool boxes after they were inventoried in. It's just a crying shame...more proof that you should only assign tweets to do tweet stuff and nothing complicated like watching tools all frigging day long.

Actually I believe the tools were 'borrowed' by B.J. Neugebauer (sp?) another guy I knew. Does his name sound familiar. I believe BJ (not his real initials Rolling Eyes ) was an AE and Jerry Biddle was a plane captain.

BTW, your printing is very nice. Wink
ASW Tech
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Does his name sound familiar?

Both names sound vaguely familiar, but I'm not sure the memory is from the VP-31 "folder". I was mostly chasing women those days and not paying much attention to anything else...THEM I remember.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Looking for a shipmate? All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: