SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Name calling still exists.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PO2
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:13 pm    Post subject: Name calling still exists. Reply with quote

Did anyone else catch the comment made by Rivera on "At Large" on FNC 31 Oct. Almost without pause he weaved "Swift Boat Veterans" and "trash" into the same reference. The Liberals are still trying to convince people of something. I don't know what it is and who they are trying to convince. (could it be themselves?)
Doc Farmer
LCDR

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Name calling still exists. Reply with quote

PO2 wrote:
Did anyone else catch the comment made by Rivera on "At Large" on FNC 31 Oct. Almost without pause he weaved "Swift Boat Veterans" and "trash" into the same reference. The Liberals are still trying to convince people of something. I don't know what it is and who they are trying to convince. (could it be themselves?)

I didn't know anybody actually paid attention to Horrendo Revolver... Shocked

Fat, Bald and Ugly - And PROUD Of It!
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heraldo is probably still holding a grudge on military & vets from when the troops kicked him out of Iraq during the invasion.
Barbie2004
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not see Gergalgos. I don't watch him, nor Greta.

Just because they are on "FOX" does not mean I will patronize their "stuff." On rare occassion, my TV will be left on beyond the program I intended to watch and it only serves to remind me how biased they are.

Gergalgos was a draft dodger himself, and in years past, I have noticed what I thought was an anti-military tilt to his "reporting," although he never has come right out and said it. His reporting just left me with the "impression" that he does not like the military and is very left-leaning, so a remark like that does not suprise me.

Remember: Gergalgos has never reported on the Swiftboat Vets, POW's, nor the history of Kerry after Vietnam, nor his "military service & discharge." That, in and of itself shows a bias! Reporters are supposed to report, even if the information does not support their particular viewpoint. Gergalgos has NO intellectual honesty.

Most of the time, if not all of the time, I am very particular about who or what I watch because I know it means "ratings" for them, so I only watch or listen to those whom I wish to contribute to, even if it is indirect with my "viewership."

Besides, more accurate and timely information can be had on the internet, even if it does get reported by those "vast right wing conspirators wearing pajamas!" Laughing

Laughing Cool Laughing Cool Laughing Cool

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Name calling still exists. Reply with quote

PO2 wrote:

I say whoever that was is trash.....our SVPT should be honored and repected. I am sick of these liberals forcing their agendas and sick views on us and defaming our men and women that have served and are serving so honorably....this bothers me more than anything else. How could anyone disrespect Vets and POWs??....they sure are the worst sort of American's I have ever encountered.
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the stunt with Al Capone's safe he changed his name back to Jerry Rivers and disappeared. What idiot would buy his contract?
scotty61
LCDR

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to recall hearing that one Jerry Rivers changed his name to Geraldo Rivera in order to take advantage of minority hiring practices. Sounds like a real standup kind of guy, right?
MSeeger
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might point out that changing your name is not an uncommon thing to do in show biz. In fact many ethnic minority actors have either changed their name to a more palatable "American" name, or had it changed for them by their agents.

Martin Sheen was born Ramon Estevez. Irving Berlin was born Israel Baline. Jerry Rivers was born Geraldo Rivera, and I presume changed his name to Jerry Rivers at a time when Hispanics had a tough time being employed. I understand he started as a lawyer.

If he took the opportunity to then go back to using his original name, who are we to knock it? At that time, he was finally able to use his real name to get a job.

I'm not trying to knock anyone on here, it's just that people need to understand that back in the day, if you wanted to make it big in some occupations, you had to pass for White. If your name didn't sound American, you probably wouldn't get hired. So those who could, did. Nowadays, we don't have that problem. Ethnic is IN.

Maria
scotty61
LCDR

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that Jerry Rivers was his original name and changed it to Geraldo Rivera. I've also heard that he is more Italian than Hispanic. (Guido Rivera?) Very Happy Nothing concrete of course, but would be interested in finding out what is true.
MSeeger
Seaman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to his biography, he's Puerto Rican. So Geraldo Rivera probably is his real name. Lest we forget, Puerto Rico is an American protectorate, not a foreign country.

Maria
Nutso
PO3

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure what he is, but I damn well know he is not an American. This has nothing to do with wherre you come from, it has to do with what you have become. He was willing to give away vital information possibly endangering our soldiers to promote himself as a 'war correspondent'. Next time he goes over and plays soldier, I want to see him walking point in the front lines. I can see the headline now - Embedded Reporter Wets Himself.
Dimsdale
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the relevant point: the MSM is laying the groundwork for a continued assualt on the SVPT in case Kerry makes another run at the presidency, or in case they show up for his next Senate campaign.

It is all a part of the Goebbels/MSM smear tactic of "repeating a lie often enough that it becomes "truth" in the eyes of the public."

Perhaps another reason that Kerry should be legally pursued: the continued slander of the Swiftees.
mach9
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to recall hearing that one Jerry Rivers changed his name to Geraldo Rivera in order to take advantage of minority hiring practices. Sounds like a real standup kind of guy, right?

He's no saint--but he never changed his name. He was Gerry Rivera (Gerry, Anglicized nickname for his Christian name, Geraldo) in high school and college. And he wasn't a bad kid 'til Vietnam. He's come around--a bit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: