SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question for board

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
guiner
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:21 pm    Post subject: Question for board Reply with quote

Hello,

Does anyone have any recommendations for a history book covering the vietnam war?

I'm interested in the military parts but in particular I'd really like to know the political causes and influences. Maybe I need two or more books to get both aspects.

I know this is a place I can trust to get a good recommendation, not a book that is revisionist.

Thanks in Advance
Doug
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Halberstam - The Best and The Brightest
-is an epic compendium of the Indo-China war and how the US got there. Be warned that it is not pro-American. I would be happy to learn of a more extensive overview without the pro-Cronkite spin.

Daniel Ellsberg - Secrets: A Memoir of Vietnam and the Pentagon Papers
-offers a Leatherneck/Pentagon Insider's insight on US policy. It then drifts off into justifications of his contre-tempts with the Nixon administration.

Neither of these pretend to be focused on field operations of US forces but do reveal the hubris of diplomacy, domestic politics, and bureaucracy that hampered and confounded those efforts.

I'l watch this thread for recommendations with a post war perspective.
stylin19
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This probably doen't do you much good now, but if you can even find a set anymore, I thought the 26-book Time-Life series titled 'The Vietnam Experience.' was half-way decent.
d19thdoc
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guenter Lewy, America in Vietnam (Oxford University Press - 1978).
Still in print.

A classic. Also goes into the anti-war movement and contains the so-far definitive debunking of VVAW and Winter Soldier Investigation.

Available in paperback on Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0195027329/qid=1100831864/sr=2-1/ref=pd_ka_b_2_1/104-0087222-6245551
Jack Hetherton, jr
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Question for board Reply with quote

guiner wrote:
Hello,

Does anyone have any recommendations for a history book covering the vietnam war?

I'm interested in the military parts but in particular I'd really like to know the political causes and influences. Maybe I need two or more books to get both aspects.

I know this is a place I can trust to get a good recommendation, not a book that is revisionist.

Thanks in Advance
Doug
See the previous "Okay where to..."posting. An excellent reading from a POW Wife's fight against the political white washings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: