SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ave. enlisted marine I.Q under 90????
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gleanerl
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:10 pm    Post subject: ave. enlisted marine I.Q under 90???? Reply with quote

this guy wrote this as fact. Evil or Very Mad
what bunk.
but how to prove it?

You're a kid, probably a year or two, or even three, shy of your 25th birthday.

Not a rich kid. Probably not even an upper-middle-class kid ... after all, you don't find a lot of those outside the officer corps in combat naval infantry units.

Quote:
You're probably not that bright; certainly not as bright as the highly educated college types lining up to condemn you.

Maybe you finished high school. Maybe you didn't.

The average IQ of an enlisted man in the United States Marine Corps is under 90. ...

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Columnists/Calgary/Ian_Robinson/2004/11/21/724000.html
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As with other garbage printed in our leftstream media, they make outrageous claims and have to prove or document nothing! Similar claims were very notiably made during Vietnam, but after the fact studies showed they were so far wrong, it wasn't funny.

Quote:
Myth: The war was fought largely by the poor and uneducated.

Servicemen who went to Vietnam from well-to-do areas had a slightly elevated risk of dying because they were more likely to be pilots or infantry officers.

Vietnam Veterans were the best educated forces our nation had ever sent into combat. 79% had a high school education or better. [McCaffrey]Speech by Lt. Gen. Barry R. McCaffrey, (reproduced in the Pentagram, June 4, 1993) assistant to the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, to Vietnam veterans and visitors gathered at "The Wall", Memorial Day 1993.

http://www.vhfcn.org/stat.htm
HOV1
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Body my of letter to the Calgary Sun

I don't blame him at all.

I understand the average IQ of a Canadian "Journalist" is the current temperature in Calgary. I also understand that Mr. Robinson has great difficulty writing columns with his head buried up his ass, and he finds it difficult to read his own words in the darkness. I understand that Mr. Robinson has no clue as to what a modern United States Marine has to know and be proficient in and that absent of facts, he just makes stuff up. I do, however, blame the editor who let this bulging package of bovine scatology go to press.

HOV1
azTrish
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOV1 wrote:
Body my of letter to the Calgary Sun

I don't blame him at all.

I understand the average IQ of a Canadian "Journalist" is the current temperature in Calgary. I also understand that Mr. Robinson has great difficulty writing columns with his head buried up his a**, and he finds it difficult to read his own words in the darkness. I understand that Mr. Robinson has no clue as to what a modern United States Marine has to know and be proficient in and that absent of facts, he just makes stuff up. I do, however, blame the editor who let this bulging package of bovine scatology go to press.

Whoo Hoo well put!

Trish
mtboone
Founder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if you really read his post and the next one, he was not really belittling the Marines. I think he was stating that the Marine was not to blame for killing the wounded terrorist. He was just wrong on his facts about the IQ being 90.
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Correct me if I am wrong Reply with quote

I don't recall taking any Intelligence Quotient tests when I entered the military in the early 70s, has that been changed?

I do recall taking some entrance examinations that were geared to finding out what skills you might possess. Admin, Electronics, General etc… where a score was assigned and this guided the recruiter where your aptitudes may lie and match that to a job.

Hey, since I scored 95 and above out of a possible 100 in each area, could I use this on an application for a membership in MENSA? NOT!
Cool

Independent that leans right of center.
Rurik
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the average marine has an IQ about 90.
What is the marskmanship score of the average tenured sociology professor? And how much can he carry on his back for how long?

And if you get into a fight, which one would you prefer at your side?

When I went into the army, I had an IQ of 158, and I found it really didn't do me any good in basic training. When I went to Viet Nam, I boxed up my precious IQ and mailed it back home where it would be safe, and I could reclaim it if and when I returned.

Essayons!
Fight Build and Destroy
WVRepublican
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I'm NOT doing this for bragging rights, my IQ, one week prior to basic, was tested at 155.

Ugh...Corps...girls....oorah.....semper fi.......ugh....yay grunts!
Doc Jerry K
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The average IQ of Canadians who believe this crap and French combined is 50 (100 divided by 2).

Cool Medics, we're there when you need us.
USAFE5
PO2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recall taking an IQ test, however I did take the ASVAB - Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery Exam. I scored very well, thank you. If I had any language skills besides Southern, I could have gone to the institute at Monterey.

* edited to add aptitude duh I forgottttt

Last edited by USAFE5 on Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
wwIIvetsdaughter
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of more than one so called "intelligent, educated person" who doesnt have the common sense God gave a sparrow.
truthseeker
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the original uses of the IQ test was in the US military itself.

A fair history of the IQ test:

http://www.testcafe.com/iqtest/history.html

World War 1 was a time when 20th century America had to figure out a lot of mass testing of immigrants from all over the planet, all ending up in the USA. The Army found the IQ test helpful to figure out where people kinda stood overall.

Sorta reminds me of the eye signs of anesthesia we all learned in medical school. I don't know why they bothered, as it only pertained to the use of ether, virtually never used any more. But back in WW-1 Dr. Guedel observed various patterns of the eyes, pupils, breathing patterns etc., describing certain planes and stages of anesthesia.......so for mass training of anesthetists (the Army had none in WW-1), quickly needed and in large numbers, it was useful to say, give the ether and when the eyes look like this and the breathing pattern looks like that, etc., tell the surgeon to operate.

http://www.asahq.org/Newsletters/2002/9_02/feature5.htm

I remember being tested on that cr@p as late as the 1980's, even though it had no relevance to anesthesia practice for the last 20+ years. So don't feel singled out if the military gives tests of questionable relevance, so do our nation's medical schools.

At the risk of adding to anyone's paranoia....... Shocked
d19thdoc
PO3

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better to read the whole article than to pop off at the guy based on a summary posted here.

This guy is on our side. It is good to know that there is someone north of the border who has not totally lost his mind.

He's out west in Calgary - sounds like they have an "East Coast Liberal" problem in Canada too.

The 90 IQ - maybe it is the metric system they use up there? Maybe a typo or a simple mistake. But this guy is by no means demeaning Marines - just the opposite.

Check out some of his other columns linked to the first one.
MSeeger
Seaman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the guy being on your side, Marines...

At first glance it seems like he might be. My question is: Was he right about the indoctrination and all that is required to get through boot camp? Or is he basing his ideas on what he's seen in movies and television?

I would have said he was on your side, except for that comment about the average IQ of Marines being 90...do you realise that he just called you dumb? Or at least implied it? That's what made me think it was a liberal/leftist columnist at first glance. And even at second glance, I'm not too sure.

The thing is, many civilians have read this piece and all they'll see is that 90 IQ figure. And the sense they will get (as I did) is that the Marine is just some poor dumb ******* that was just following orders.

So, I'm not sure if this was a left handed compliment or a subtle insult. Remember, this guy *is* Canadian, and most of Canada is anti-war and anti-American. All I'm sure is that the article was confusing.

Maria
Digger
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody ever gave me any tests, they just gave me orders. And if I carried out those orders there were others to follow until I got to where I am today. I may not be too awfully smart, but I am good at following and carrying out orders. That's all I really had to be Laughing

Sgt. Maj. Seamus D.D. MacNemi R.M.C. Ret.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: