SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Bush tough-guy scuffle plays poorly in Chile"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrJapan
PO1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:41 am    Post subject: "Bush tough-guy scuffle plays poorly in Chile" Reply with quote

I know that this topic has been discussed in a different thread, but something caught my eye that really irritated me in todays paper.. I searched the net to find the Web version:

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/news_world_story_skin/460469%3fformat=html

Quote:
Chileans, living in a remote South American country untouched by global terror, were appalled by the unsightly scuffle that highlighted the difference in approach to security issues between the two countries.

"Security here in Chile is very good. The police are excellent and professional. ... They (American security guards) wanted to ignore all the rules that were in play. This is pushiness, nothing more," said Humberto Villegas, a 50-year-old shoeshiner.

Is it that hard for them to understand the importance of the situation with this day and time?

Quote:

American tourists are often pleasantly surprised at the low-key security check to enter the presidential building, while Chileans are proud of their police force in a low-crime country where Cabinet ministers take the subway to work and move around without swarms of bodyguards.

A PERFECT situation for a terrorist to take advantage of the situation, no?

Of course I think that most of us have a suspicion that's what they wanted all the long... no?

MJ
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: "Bush tough-guy scuffle plays poorly in Chile" Reply with quote

Quote:
Chileans, living in a remote South American country untouched by global terror, were appalled by the unsightly scuffle that highlighted the difference in approach to security issues between the two countries.

"Security here in Chile is very good. The police are excellent and professional. ... They (American security guards) wanted to ignore all the rules that were in play. This is pushiness, nothing more," said Humberto Villegas, a 50-year-old shoeshiner.

Is it that hard for them to understand the importance of the situation with this day and time?

Quote:

American tourists are often pleasantly surprised at the low-key security check to enter the presidential building, while Chileans are proud of their police force in a low-crime country where Cabinet ministers take the subway to work and move around without swarms of bodyguards.

Of course I think that most of us have a suspicion that's what they wanted all the long... no?

MJ[/quote]

I think "W" was safer in Columbia during his visit than Chile. I am surprised that the individuals quoted were the most authoritative sources available. Everyone knows the shoeshine guys have the pulse of a nation wired and the best perspective on the issues of the day.

Independent that leans right of center.
Barbie2004
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

I, for one, would NOT be "pleasantly suprised at the low-key security check" and, particularly not "to enter the presidential building."

I also couldn't care less about "hurting their feelings." GW was to have his body guards there, with him, at all costs.

What I don't understand is: why, with such lax security, would the president of Chili INSIST that their be no metal detector checks on the attendees at the banquet? Why did he fight that so hard?

I did not like the looks of that man. He gave me very bad vibes. But that aside, as far as I am concerned, it was the Chilians, or should I say the Chilian president who was incredibly RUDE, AT BEST.

I slept so much better when I heard that GW left Chili. And I hope he never returns.

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Kimmymac
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all due respect: <laughing> Perhaps I have had a bit too much to drink <entirely possible> but I am wondering why I would give the proverbial rat's ass about what a 50 year old Chilean shoe shine boy thinks about the President's opening a can of whoop ass on the Chilean fricken national guard. <or whatever>

Chile has not had any terrorist incidents because <well, sh*t and DUH> WHY BOTHER? WHY BOTHER WITH CHILE?

If you think the POTUS is pushy...just piss United States Marines off some time.
Barbie2004
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhantomSgt wrote:

Quote:
I am surprised that the individuals quoted were the most authoritative sources available. Everyone knows the shoeshine guys have the pulse of a nation wired and the best perspective on the issues of the day.

Actually, I didn't know this, but I do now!

Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink
MrJapan
PO1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kimmymac wrote:

Perhaps I have had a bit too much to drink

Well, don't feel bad, I don't drink anymore, but sometimes I think I need one or two or 10 Razz
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbie2004 wrote:
PhantomSgt wrote:

Quote:
I am surprised that the individuals quoted were the most authoritative sources available. Everyone knows the shoeshine guys have the pulse of a nation wired and the best perspective on the issues of the day.

Actually, I didn't know this, but I do now!

Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink

That is right Barbie2004, who better to know who is stepping in the ca ca?

These guys have the street level perspective that reporters on a slow news day turn to (while their getting a shine) so they can help support another non-story.

Quote tomorrow from Jose the Barber who has some insightful comments of his own (and by the way it is haircut day).

I have a tip on the Headline from what I believe will be Jose's quote (if I accurately translated it):

"BUSH, Just Another American Pushy"

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

MSeeger
Seaman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You forgot the last sentence in this story:

Police chief Alberto Cienfuegos, who ordered a heavy police presence for the summit and shut off the area with armored vehicles, said US Ambassador Craig Kelly phoned him to say Washington was not upset by what happened and that it surely was a misunderstanding on the part of Bush's security agents.

Our Ambassador said that? That guy should be fired!

Maria
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:12 pm    Post subject: Not to worry. Reply with quote

Condi will have a long one-sided talk with Craig after she takes the Ship of State Helm I'm sure.

Rurik
PO3

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U. S. Ambassador to Chile, Craig Kelly is seeking the highly coveted posting to the US Embassy in Burundi.

Essayons!
Fight Build and Destroy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: