SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thanksgiving at DFW

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JannDallas
Seaman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 12:39 am    Post subject: Thanksgiving at DFW Reply with quote

I volunteered today at DFW with the USO to help with Thanksgiving dinner for our troops passing through, most being deployed back to Iraq or Afghanastan. The Gaylord Texas donated and catered the whole event. The Gaylord Group is part of the Opry Hotel chain. I have to you that the food was absolutely incredible. Real turkey and dressing and every kind of side you could imagine. I helped bring the pumpkin pies around and visit with our troops. We probably served about 300. Most of them seemed to be in great spirits and many were very touched at all the fuss that being given to them. I had tons of hugs and a few tears and so many expressed how moved they were at all the support they were getting from the people everywhere. It was one of the best days I have spent in my life. I just wanted to share how grateful our troops are to have the people, many of them are involved in the Swifties, support them and many said they actually felt our prayers at night. I'm gonna go get a hankie now. It's my turn to cry.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jann, I can tell you that your efforts were very much appreciated and won't soon be forgotten. It's people like you making the efforts you do that makes memories of service to our country stick out in our minds several years from now.

Thank you for making today special to our in transit service members.
wwIIvetsdaughter
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jann, how did you find out about this opportunity? I'd rather do that next year and make Thanksgiving memorable for our fantastic military! Very Happy
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing this great story of your volunteer time Jann.
JannDallas
Seaman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually how I found out about it was accidental. I called the USO to see if they I could bring hams up and drop off so the guys would have something good to eat while waiting to fly out. They told me about the event and told me I was welcome to come and help out. So I brought Honey Baked Hams up on Wednesday and dropped them so the guys who were flying out they wouldn't miss Thanksgiving because of the flight time.

It was really a nice time. The guys seemed to be in very good spirits. DFW is one of the two hubs that the guys fly into and out of. The other one is Atlanta. Then they disperse and get home to where ever they need to go. We have about 300-400 guys or more troops flying in and out of DFW each day.
GenrXr

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JannDallas wrote:
Actually how I found out about it was accidental. I called the USO to see if they I could bring hams up and drop off so the guys would have something good to eat while waiting to fly out. They told me about the event and told me I was welcome to come and help out. So I brought Honey Baked Hams up on Wednesday and dropped them so the guys who were flying out they wouldn't miss Thanksgiving because of the flight time.

It was really a nice time. The guys seemed to be in very good spirits. DFW is one of the two hubs that the guys fly into and out of. The other one is Atlanta. Then they disperse and get home to where ever they need to go. We have about 300-400 guys or more troops flying in and out of DFW each day.

Jann, this really does uplift me to know people like you are out there and there are groups that think of things such as this. My family on both my fathers side and mothers side has had members in the military in every generation since we immigrated to the US at the turn of the 20th century. I have 5 other siblings and we were about to break the cycle with noone entering the military until about 6 months ago the pull was just too strong on our youngest sister and she decided to join the Army. She is 25 years old is married and has 2 children which makes it all the more significant. She did not join because she needed money, thing was though she was trying to find work in Houston as a surgical tech and could not find good hours. She wanted to have decent hours with her kids and decided well if im going to have bad hours and not going to be able to see my kids as I wish its going to be serving Uncle Sam (Uncle Sam as in our country...not meant to be as in working for the federal government which is a lazy way to make a living and looked down upon by our family.) and not some corporation. (this is my take on it...if she were available I would ask her so I could post her direct reason) Well she completed boot camp and was about to be shipped to San Antonio where they were going to train/test hetr in her field of expertise for a month, but they are short on techs in Germany so she flew directly to Landstuhl, Germany. When I discovered she would be taking the flight I asked her whether she would wear her uniform or not and she told me no she would be in civilian clothing. I had this idealistic image of my sister getting kudos from others while wearing her spiffy new uniform. Well can you blame me being full of pride in her? Well I asked her why she was being told to wear civilian and she said the reason they give out is because they want no terroristic attention brought on us because of 9/11, but a few people in her unit were adament about wearing their uniforms and a seargent told them "best not to wear a uniform unless you are in a group, otherwise people will probably spit on you and curse you and this is not good for morale". I was blown away by this and just told my sister to remember our families past and the love of the soldier so many do have and to never waver in spirit. So Jann my point is how sweet people such as yourself are to make these people feel welcome when in possible hostile terrain even though its at home. I wish the media would report accurately what types of people join the military. My sister is about as far removed from what the portray the typical recruit to be. Our military has people of all types constantly joining and for many reasons. The main reason though is their love of country and feeling of duty and sacrifice. Sad this is so seldom pointed out. My mother is sending me a picture of my sister at the graduation ceremony and I will post it when I recieve it. Unfortunately, I could not attend, but my older brother says it was the most beautiful and amazing thing he has ever witnessed.
JannDallas
Seaman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to let you know, the soldiers made comments on how well they have been treated at DFW. This is not the meal with served or the USO, this is airport traffic. The guys and girls told me that people stopped them to thank them very often. I was also told that when in line to purchase a McDonalds burger or coffee or whatever, strangers have picked up their tab.

I know there are a few jerks out there, but overall it seems like they are getting wonderful treatment, so don't you worry about your sister. By the way, there were two tv cameras out there and I think the Star Telegram did a report for the paper, just haven't gotten to look for it yet. And Daryl Ankarlo was out there and helped host the thing. I don't know the details for those out in the DFW area, he is going to have a fund raiser or something like that for the children and families of the guys in service or otherwise killed or injured. I'll post here when I get more details. It may be just bring a toy type of thing, but I'll post here.
msindependent
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The people at the DFW airport are great, no worries there.
GenrXr

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sister flew out of Chicago. Texas is pretty unique in that certain behaviour just isn't permitted and never has been. I imagine no problems for anyone in uniform flying out of Bush Intercontinental or Dallas Fort Worth.
Sgt-Keeper
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 5:04 pm    Post subject: DFW Reply with quote

Jann,
From an old vet who had a much different homecoming, thanks for taking the time & volunteering. Those troops will never forget your efforts. I really enjoy reading about the other random acts of kindness. We can, and do, make a difference.
MSeeger
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You stated your sister was flying to Germany. Well, Germany is very anti-American, and very anti-Iraq war, so I'm assuming that their commanding officer was talking about what the reaction to the uniform would be once they landed in Germany.

I don't think we'll see much of that over here, except maybe in the blue states. But then again, it is now the new fashion to automatically go around thanking tmembers of the military for their service...regardless of whether the person means it or not.

Maria
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: