SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Homeless vets

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C-130 Son
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:25 am    Post subject: Homeless vets Reply with quote

Someone posted this on another website and I was wanting to see if any of the vets on this website could give me some insight about this problem:

http://washingtontimes.com/upi-breaking/20041207-121848-6449r.htm
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to tie this in on another thread: Another jfk

http://horse.he.net/~swiftpow/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17790

The only real numbers I saw in the story was that 50 of the 7500 vets who recently passed through VA transient facilities were Iraqi vets. I can't speak with any authority on condintions at the VA.

I can speak about the noxious claims made by self proclaimed veteran's advocates. In this WaTimes article they variously report 300-500,000 homeless vets! They claim half are 'Nam era. They further claim vets make up 25% of all homeless. Of course the homelessness is the fault Post Tramatic Stress induced substance abuse. That's right! Drug addled baby killers....the old Kerry charge is alive and well. And, because Iraq is so similar to Viet Nam these advocates warn us to expect a flood of them.

Keep in mind these practitioners like Winter Soldier coordinators do not have to verify military service to sign up dysfunctionals for drug programs and group therapy they administer with Public Health & VA grants. Burket's "Stolen Valor" gives an excellant read on these frauds.
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

copy:

Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:47 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
U.S. veterans from the war in Iraq are beginning to show up at homeless shelters around the country, and advocates fear they are the leading edge of a new generation of homeless vets not seen since the Vietnam era.

There were over 8 million "era" vets and 2.6 million who actually served in-theatre during Vietnam.

There have been, what, 250 - 300,000 activated in the Gulf Wars of late?

Where do these freakin' newspapers FIND these people who can extrapolote catastrophe from nothing?

They speak to three or four former service members with atypical stories and all of a sudden, the sky is falling?

We all know the system doesn't work perfectly, but there is a huge amount of counseling and job/placement/financial assistance available when you leave the military these days. It's nothing like the days of Vietnam, where they gave you a bus ticket home, cashiered you out and said, "sayonara." By it's own admission, there are ten times the number of service points available to a departing service member, these days, and they're working on picking up PTSD cases early, before the follow-on cycle can start up.

Quote:
Data from the Department of Veterans Affairs shows that as of last July, nearly 28,000 veterans from Iraq sought health care from the VA. One out of every five was diagnosed with a mental disorder, according to the VA. An Army study in the New England Journal of Medicine in July showed that 17 percent of service members returning from Iraq met screening criteria for major depression, generalized anxiety disorder or PTSD.

WTF is up with these people? Do they even bother to check the facts before they write?

17 percent is roughly equivalent to thode in the general population who suffer from either depression, GAD or PTSD - I'd have to check to be certain, but this number may actually be significantly less for military people!

The Vietnamization of the war on terror continues.....
tony54
PO2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Data from the Department of Veterans Affairs shows that as of last July, nearly 28,000 veterans from Iraq sought health care from the VA. One out of every five was diagnosed with a mental disorder, according to the VA. An Army study in the New England Journal of Medicine in July showed that 17 percent of service members returning from Iraq met screening criteria for major depression, generalized anxiety disorder or PTSD.

These majority of these 28,000 veterans are propably Democrats who never wanted to fight in the first place and signed up before 9-11 to get a government paid education and VA benefits, then the war started and they had no choice!
Well they could have went to Canada, but not everybody wants to stoop that low!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: