SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If I were a French taxpayer I would be complaining

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arty Guy
Seaman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:20 am    Post subject: If I were a French taxpayer I would be complaining Reply with quote

From The Wall Street Journal

TiVo la France?
Jacques Chirac wants to enter the news biz. The world won't be watching.

Monday, January 17, 2005 12:01 a.m. EST

John Kerry met with France's President Jacques Chirac last Friday, part of the senator's fact-finding mission to Europe and the Middle East. Details of their talk weren't revealed, but there is little doubt both men felt a sense of disappointment that Mr. Kerry hadn't won November's election. As a French official loved to point out to me last year, the French government was looking forward to a president with French relatives addressing the French Parliament in French.

The Iraq war and Mr. Kerry's defeat appear to have convinced the Chirac government to press ahead with plans to start a government-funded international news network, which they have dubbed "CNN à la française," in an attempt, as French diplomats put it, to "make France radiate" around the world.

The French have been suffering for years from envy of what they call America's "hyperpower" status. Although it has nuclear weapons and a permanent seat on the U.N. Security Council, of late France has had fewer opportunities than ever to assert its clout in a U.S.-dominated world. The new channel was in part the brainchild of former foreign minister Dominque de Villepin, the poet-diplomat whose duplicity during the Iraq conflict angered even the most Francophile officials at the State Department. In 2003, Mr. de Villepin announced plans for the channel by declaring that the world was thirsting for the French view. "Never has France been so listened to, and never have so many hopes been placed in it," he declared.

The Chirac government will provide $40 million in start-up financing for the network, which will be unusual partnership between the leading private broadcaster, TF1, and a state network called France Télévisions. It will be broadcast only outside France, in order to not compete with TF1's 24-hour domestic news channel.

It's hard to see how the new channel would be anything more than a propaganda arm of the French Foreign Ministry, since the ad market for such a station outside France is nonexistent. Only 3% of the world speaks French, making it just the 11th most widely spoken language. To increase its influence the channel promises it someday will broadcast in other languages--including Arabic and even English.

Mr. Chirac's hobbyhorse is based on the premise that giant "Anglo-Saxon" news operations such as CNN broadcast news from a perspective that shortchanges the French. "France believes it has a point of view, which is not represented in international channels like BBC and CNN--to say nothing of Fox News," says David-Herve Boutin, an aide to Bernard Brochand, the lawmaker who was appointed to design the channel's blueprint.

But the French belief that they are losing what Mr. Chirac calls "the battle of footage" to Anglo-Saxon media behemoths is absurd. The message put out by U.S. and British media outlets isn't unified, and to the extent that is true, the output is hostile to much of U.S. and British foreign policy and certainly to President Bush. An independent inquiry found that the BBC had twisted its reportage in a reckless attempt to discredit Prime Minister Tony Blair's Iraq policy.

The French, on the other hand, tend to have a completely unified approach to their foreign policy. Every political party in France is suspicious of American influence and motives, and they unanimously opposed the Iraq liberation, which left French officials feeling impotent. "Iraq was a major moment when we felt quite frustrated that the way we saw the crisis building up was not put out quite fairly by the American media and was often oversimplified and caricatured and sometimes made fun of by folks or other medias." Pierre Rousselin of the newspaper Le Figaro told me. In other words, headlines like the famous New York Post's "Axis of Weasels" touched a nerve.

But France will have to be careful in the message it puts out on its new version of CNN. Jean-Pierre Tailleur, the author of a book that harshly criticizes the French media, says the coverage of the Iraq war in some French media was almost cartoonish in its opposition. "They minimized the atrocities of Saddam's regime and presented Bush as a criminal on the same level as Saddam and Hitler," he wrote.

Ultimately, regardless of the stance of the new channel, its impact is likely to be limited. Jean-Marie Charon, a media fellow at Paris's National Center for Scientific Research, thinks the show's audience will be very limited. But Mr. Chirac may be playing to his fellow Frenchmen more than the rest of his world. His path to an unprecedented third term in 2007 may depend on his ability to give the U.S. a bloody nose in international diplomacy--just as his German ally, Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder, successfully played the anti-U.S. card to win a surprising come-from-behind re-election victory in 2002.

The new channel "will end up being more useful as a domestic tool, than an international one," concludes Mr. Charon. Once again, America will greet French irritation mostly with indifference.
[/u]
SBD
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

double post!! Shocked

Last edited by SBD on Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total
SBD
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chirac is just a cry baby trying to compete with the big boys in a game that he has lost before it can even begin. If Chirac wasn't such an *&#$hole, he could have asked his neighbor to the south for some pointers since the Prime Minister of Italy is one of the biggest media mogels in Europe. Some might not be aware, but Silvio Burlosconi owns the three biggest networks in Italy other than the government run RAI which actually as Prime Minister, you could say he controls Rai as well. I can assure you that any effort on the part of France and especially Chirac, will be met with fierce opposition from Burlosconi and his MediaSet empire. I am sure Chirac can't stand the fact the the Italian Prime Minister has something he does not. What he doesn't realize is that it's not the Media Empire that Chirac is lacking, it's integrity.

SBD
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatness is related to National Character and the personal character of leaders and the French Gummint has a huge problem with that. While the french leaders may be characters, they lack most of what it takes to be what they think they are or ought to be. It takes more that a monsterous Michael Moore or Kerry sized ego.
RogerRabbit
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The French already tried once and failed. The takeover of the Canadian prvince in Quebec was supposed to be their stepping stone into the US. They were somewhat successful in making Quebec a French speaking province but fell far short of their other goals as no one listens to their propaganda outside the province - even in most of the rest of Canada
GM Strong

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RogerRabbit wrote:
The French already tried once and failed. The takeover of the Canadian prvince in Quebec was supposed to be their stepping stone into the US. They were somewhat successful in making Quebec a French speaking province but fell far short of their other goals as no one listens to their propaganda outside the province - even in most of the rest of Canada

Quebec has been French speaking since the 1700s. the Quebecoi think of themselves as being French and therein is the problem.

Last edited by GM Strong on Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:58 am; edited 1 time in total
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GM,
I think Roger's referring to DeGaulle's notorious rabble rousing, "Viva le Quebeqous libre!" at Expo '67. It gave a small group of the disaffected encouragement, exposure and Francs to destabilize the province and the Canadian government.
GM Strong

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I B Squidly wrote:
GM,
I think Roger's referring to DeGaulle's notorious rabble rousing, "Viva le Quebeqous libre!" at Expo '67. It gave a small group of the disaffected encouragement, exposure and Francs to destabilize the province and the Canadian government.

I did not know this. I was in the Army at Ft. Benning basic training at the time and this is news to me. I knew about the EXPO, but little about anything like this. It makes sense and so typically French. Thanks. Amazing, I still learn things occasionally from 1967 and 1968 because I was somewhere else and not connected with current events, particularly 1968. Anybody else find this too??

Much Obliged and Cheers, GMS
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is part and parcel of the nature of the French to be
belligerant. I lived in Ontario, Canada in the Sixties during the
movement of the Quebecois to secede from the Confederation.
Much rabble-rousing and complaining. Envy at the prosperity of
the other Provinces. I didn't pay much attention to it, like most
others, thought those Frogs are always whining.
Personally, I felt let them do it. They would go down the tubes
without dollars from Ottawa.
Eventually, it was settled but I don't remember how or why.
Canada became OFFICIALLY a bilingual country with everything
printed in French as well as English.
RogerRabbit
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Quebec has been French speaking since the 1700s. the Quebecoi think of themselves and French and therein is the problem.

Yes the province was French speaking - but that was not the official language - English was, now French is and I believe it is even illegal to even have signs in English. Canada is bilingual in all provinces except Quebec under some agreement the federal gov cooked up with the Frenchmen
GM Strong

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RogerRabbit wrote:
Quote:
Quebec has been French speaking since the 1700s. the Quebecoi think of themselves and French and therein is the problem.

Yes the province was French speaking - but that was not the official language - English was, now French is and I believe it is even illegal to even have signs in English. Canada is bilingual in all provinces except Quebec under some agreement the federal gov cooked up with the Frenchmen

Correct and on top of it there are Quebers who can speak English but refuse. Learned that on a trip there. Good civics lesson here.
GM Strong

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RogerRabbit wrote:
Quote:

Correct and on top of it there are Quebecers who can speak English but refuse to do so if you try to converse. Learned that on a trip there. Good civics lesson here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: