SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Marine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:02 am    Post subject: Marine Reply with quote

Just caught this on Chronwatch. I guess it damn near defines inspirational and motivational.

http://www.chronwatch.com/content/contentDisplay.asp?aid=12572&catcode=11
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: Marine Reply with quote

Me#1You#10 wrote:
Just caught this on Chronwatch. I guess it damn near defines inspirational and motivational.

http://www.chronwatch.com/content/contentDisplay.asp?aid=12572&catcode=11

A great American.
Arty Guy
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do we get these people?
DLI78
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arty Guy,

We got him the same place we always have. His parents raised him right and he had the guts to serve his nation in a war.

From his rank I guess he enlisted after 9/11, so you know exactly why he is wearing that uniform.
coldwarvet
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God Bless America

We have not had another attack on the home land since 9/11 because of the sacrifices of our men & women in harms way keeping us out of harms way.

CWV

"Peace is our Profession"
Strategic Air Command - Motto

USAF 75-79 Security Police
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:24 am    Post subject: Cpl. Casey Owens Reply with quote

Quote:
Monday Jan 24
Lt. Col. Stevens and Sgt. Major Miller asked if they could see a few pictures of Cpl. Casey Owens. “It’s him!” they exclaimed when I showed the first picture of Casey with our family. They had been sent the photo of Cpl. Casey Owens saluting his Commander in Chief at the inauguration but they had no idea of who the young Marine was. The picture of Casey in his Marine uniform saluting from a wheel chair with his double amputation has gone world wide
http://www.lonestartimes.com/
Embed-Edd: Evening Update, 1/24
Posted By: Edd_Hendee

Editor's Note: KSEV morning talkshow host Edd Hendee is spending two weeks embedded with Marine units in Iraq. LoneStarTimes.com will provide immediate coverage of his journey whenever updates drop into our email box. To read earlier segments, click here.

More from Edd's daily reporting with the Marine's in Iraq
http://www.lonestartimes.com/index.php?id=49,1584,0,0,1,0
Quote:
Friday Jan 21
LCDR Tom Nelson is the trauma surgeon who stabilized Casey Owens. He will go home to be a teaching fellow on this type of surgical care – and his experience is unparalleled. He explained that the trauma from a mine or I.E.D. (improvised explosive device) is many times more damaging than any gunshot or auto accident he had ever seen in stateside training.

Dr. Nelson then reached into his pocket and handed me a 4” length of ¼” aluminum tubing – bent slightly in the middle and flattened on one end. While examining Casey Owens last September as the team raced to stabilize this severely wounded Marine he noticed an area of trauma to the left side of Casey’s neck. He removed that piece of tubing from Casey’s neck in amazement that it had not done more damage. The tubing came from the carburetor of the humvee – and became shrapnel when the mine exploded.

LCDR Nelson explained that it was a total miracle that Casey survived as the tubing went between his windpipe and carotid artery. He kept the piece of tubing never expecting to find Casey again but wanting somehow to send that proof of the miracle to him. I had prayed that God would put me where he wanted me to be – and the occasion to meet this doctor and tell him and the surgical care unit’s team Casey’s story of recovery was a healing for all involved. They hung on every word of his story of recovery – thanking me for bringing them some closure and encouragement. They never see the end of the miracle they took part in – the recovering patient. Casey was their most severely injured case who recovered, and they all recalled his name and the details of his injury 4 months ago. I wish I could describe their faces upon hearing of his progress.

Tonight I did the radio show live for 2 hours via satellite phone. As I told the story of the Med Evac unit and the team of surgeons dealing with his injury – my producer told me that Cpl. Casey Owens was on the phone. He had been listening to the broadcast via internet in Walter Reed Army Hospital in Washington. My precious wife Nina coordinated the phone call and he joined me on air for 10 minutes to send greetings and thanks to all these fine people who stand this post and who saved his life. It’s hard to even type these words now – I don’t know how I finished the phone call.

Thank you Lord for every bit of this day – blessing by blessing. When I learned of Casey’s injury on September 20, I could not see any positive outcome from that moment. Sometimes you have to “let go & let God” work out the details. Today was very special.

nice to put a name to that Marine
AMOS
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject: Inspiration. Reply with quote

If anyone needs some inspiration to get off their ass and do something, they can use Casey Owens as a pattern. I've done it for 35 years.

A friend made a misstep in Vietnam, lost both above the knees plus some. Got married, had three boys, got divorced and got custody. Imagine changing a baby's diaper while in a wheelchair.
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Website updates Casey's progress, and for making donations.

Also, a precious account of Casey's day at the Inaugural.

Excerpt:

"We headed back into the ballroom, and worked our way to the front of the floor—everyone was nice enough to let Casey get up to the front where he could see. No sooner had we gotten there than the Presidential March was played and Pres. Bush and our First Lady were on the stage RIGHT IN FRONT OF US!!!
They were waving to the crowd, when Laura spotted Casey and I! Her face lit up and she waved enthusiastically at us!! Pres. Bush had begun his speech to everyone, and as he spoke he looked over and saw Casey—and winked at him! I don’t think that Laura knew this, because he said something to the crowd, which made everyone cheer, and she started ribbing him, pointing Casey out. And over the microphone, he said, “I know, I know, I saw him!” He then said to the crowd, “And I see that some of my friends from Walter Reed made it here tonight!” and the crowd just cheered!! He said something about it being wonderful that Casey made it, that he knew Casey and was proud of Casey!!! He then said a few other things, they danced with members of the Army, and then with each other.
As he was walking back to leave, he STOPPED AND TALKED TO CASEY!! He asked how he was doing, how the progress on his legs was, and that he was proud of him! We were both just absolutely floored and honored!!!

http://www3.caringbridge.org/tx/caseyowens/
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shawa, thanks for that link! Wonderful & powerful read; that story of the stranger who paid the cab fare teared me up! Also interesting with the family tie in to the embedded reporter Edd Hendee. And the Mickey Rooney ancedote was sweet!

link from shawa's link
Quote:
http://www.caseyowens.com/
Cpl. Casey Owens, USMC

Cpl Casey Owens, 22, of Houston, Texas was critically wounded September 20, 2004, in Iraq while on his second tour of duty.

~snip
Casey received his promotion from LCpl to Cpl on October 1 in the ICU of the National Naval Medical Center, and received his Purple Heart at WRAMC from the Commandant of the Marine Corps on October 23.

Recovery is expected to be 12-18 months.
info at that link on how to contact the family/ or donate
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been spending time this morning reading the Journal History
at http://www3.caringbridge.org/tx/caseyowens/ . (Click on at top of page)
It is both heart-rending and heart-warming. I haven't gotten
through all of it yet, but Lezleigh provides a link to her picture slideshow
so you don't have to login. Moving and inspirational!

http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=71k7gy5.cfxhccxl&x=0&y=6mzlbo

Just copy and paste the above into your browser, and it should pull up the page. You do not need to sign in, just go under the picture of Casey and click "view photos."
P. Aaron
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

US Marines Kick A$$!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: