SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Mission.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PO2
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: New Mission. Reply with quote

Now that the election is over and the swifties and POWs have made an impact on the results, the nation realizes that the veterans community CAN come together and make a difference. The politicians in Washington D.C. have taken notice.

It would be a shame if such influence is just dropped when there is still so much to do.

I need not go into detail about how many of the men we fought with have taken their own lives, either directly or through drugs and alcohol. Night sweats and nightmares still visit many of us, physical and mental conditions we did not know we had are surfacing. After a long and difficult struggle we finally got the VA to recognize both PTSD and Agent Orange. What else is hiding in our minds or bodies?

Gulf War I was fought a decade ago, and with the aid of the Vietnam vet, those warriors were able to receive recognition for their combat related conditions faster. But, it has only been a few years since their exposure. Who can tell what other conditions lie in wait inside them.

We are presently engaged in both Afghanistan and Iraq. Combat that closely resembles the way the Vietnam war was fought. Ambushes, booby traps, and IEDs. An enemy that hides among civilians and in places we do not wish to target such as schools, mosques, and hospitals. It is not unreasonable to expect that many of the troops in these two conflicts will return with the same conditions seen in many VN vets.

Yet, this Administration, with the consent of Congress is willing to cut the funding for the VA even more. It has often been said that the government balances the budget on the backs of the veterans. The politicians are so willing to be seen with our troops. It displays their "patriotism", yet when the bombs and bullets cease flying, and the troops leave the uniform in their closets, they become non-people. Abandoned and forgotten. Their wounds of war must be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt as being caused by their combat. They have few friends in the government and, with the cuts to the VA budget, even fewer.

I support the seeking out of fraud, waste, and abuse of our tax money. That is smart business. What I oppose is the constant targeting of the VA for that examination and not the "pork" found throughout the budget. If future veterans are to receive the care they deserve, funding priorities must be changed in Washington.

We veterans who came together to make a difference in the past election should continue with our efforts, but re-directed to convincing the politicians (inculding the President) that we are a strong influence and united to ensure they treat our veterans properly in the way promised them and worthy of their extraordinary sacrifice.

Our military heros should be confident of what lies in store for them when they leave service.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yet, this Administration, with the consent of Congress is willing to cut the funding for the VA even more.

Sorry, but you'll have to provide some backup for that statement.

VA spending has gone up 41% as of the last fiscal year under this Administration - in Bush's first three years, it grew more than twice as much as it did under Clinton's eight years.

Further, the President ordered changes in the way that the VA does business; attempting to streamline procedures and speed people through the cumbersome VA process.

IMO, if you weed out the frauds and the people who do NOT have SCD's, there will be more than enough staff, money and facilities available to treat the people who do.

That should be part of any new mission, IMO. The government is finally trying to do its part to keep its promises to its veterans.

Not easy to do when the system is as open to fraud as it has been for the last ten or twelve years.
RogerRabbit
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Funding for Veterans up 27%, But Democrats Call It A Cut

Money for Veterans goes up faster under Bush than under Clinton, yet Kerry accuses Bush of an unpatriotic breach of faith.

In the Feb. 15 Democratic debate, Kerry suggested that Bush was being unpatriotic: “He’s cut the VA (Veterans Administration) budget and not kept faith with veterans across this country. And one of the first definitions of patriotism is keeping faith with those who wore the uniform of our country.”

It is true that Bush is not seeking as big an increase for next year as the Secretary of Veterans Affairs wanted. It is also true that the administration has tried to slow the growth of spending for veterans by not giving new benefits to some middle-income vets.

Yet even so, funding for veterans is going up twice as fast under Bush as it did under Clinton. And the number of veterans getting health benefits is going up 25% under Bush's budgets. That's hardly a cut.

PO2
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:08 am    Post subject: New mission. Reply with quote

Navy_Navy_Navy wrote:
Quote:
Yet, this Administration, with the consent of Congress is willing to cut the funding for the VA even more.

Sorry, but you'll have to provide some backup for that statement.

Here is one:

More Patients, Less Money

For the country’s ex-warriors, many of them aged and ailing and thousands of them homeless, medical and psychological treatment is being rationed at home like meals and bullets sometimes were in battle. Last year, the VA, the second-largest government agency (behind the Defense Department) which operates the nation’s largest hospital system, treated 1.4 million more veterans than in 1996, with 20,000 fewer employees. Since 1995, its hospital enrollments have shot up from 2.9 million to more than 4.5 million annually. At least another 600,000 of America’s 25 million surviving male and female veterans will enroll this year. Some will have to stand in line, others will be refused, and still others may face new $250 enrollment fees. Though hospital and outpatient care are readily available, outreach programs are being downsized, and a lack of funding will force a quarter-million vets to wait up to 10 months for specialized treatment and surgery. Some clinics and hospitals have shut their doors to new patients, and the VA has just closed enrollment to about 164,000 vets who have no service-connected health complications and rank in the VA’s “highest income” bracket (about $35,000 for a vet with no dependents, for example). More than 450,000 disability claims are pending, and vets who are denied face another long wait for appeals decisions.

The future looks even worse: A House Budget Committee is now proposing to cut VA spending by $15 billion over 10 years, starting with $463 million slashed from next year’s budget. Legislators claim they’re cutting fraud, waste, and abuse. But Joe Fox Sr., head of Paralyzed Veterans of America, who calls the cuts “an in-your-face insult to the veterans of this country,” says the reduction will slam the poorest disabled veterans and cut GI Bill benefits for soldiers who are currently serving in Iraq. The plan could also mean the loss of 9,000 VA physicians in a shorthanded VA system, he says.

For decades, vets say, they’ve watched their benefits fade in tandem with the diminishing national consciousness of their earlier sacrifices. “Pressures on the VA health care system,” warns Joe Violante, legislative director for the Disabled American Veterans, “have escalated to a critical point that can no longer be ignored by our government.” He and others recently told the House Veterans Affairs Committee that the VA is underfunded by almost $2 billion. But, in the midst of a stagnant economy, the proposed Bush tax cut, and the Bush war, where would more money come from? Apparently not from George W. Bush.

I have been watching the VA for over 30 years now. I have watched it erode year after year. I speak from extensive personal experience. I don't have to worry, I'm 100% SC P&T so I'm set. It is those who come after me that are going to be short changed. Believe as you wish, but look at the budget requests and the final budgets over the years. See the closed bed space at VA hospital after VA hospital. re-read what I said, and remember it. When veterans are relegated to the waiting list for necessary treatment, give them the same answer you gave me.
RogerRabbit
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Here is one:

More Patients, Less Money

I do not think an article by Rick Andeson in the Seattle Weekly is proof positive. Some solid statistics is needed
baldeagle
PO2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anecdotal evidence, both pro and con, abounds. It is true that the VA is closing some hospitals, ....but.....at the same time are opening clinics in many more locations accessible to veterans who previously lived too far from one of the hospitals to benefit much. And spending has increased, but so has enrollments.

Here's one source of facts;

Report from House Committee on Veteran's Affairs
http://www.dav.org/voters/documents/Response_to_Approps_Release.pdf
"In a word, I want an American character, that the powers of Europe may be convinced we act for ourselves and not for others; this, in my judgment, is the only way to be respected abroad and happy at home." --George Washington
PO2
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject: New mission. Reply with quote

When I first came upon SwiftVets, I thought it was non-partisin. Its mission was to expose JF Kerry for what he was, a liar, a trator, and an opportunist. It seems I was wrong. Just reading the posts on this subject, I realize that the commonality here is a dislike for the Democrat Party, and a defense of the Republican Party come hell or high water. I find the remarks here typical of the Johnny-come-lately, peacetime vets or non-vets. This area is aptly named, "Vets and Active Military Only..." The word Vietnam or even Combat is absent, a telling omission. Many remarks on SwiftVets have referred to Kerry (pituie) leaving shipmates behind, yet I see so many "vets" abandoning their shipmates both here and in the general public.

I swore never to do that, and still experience flashbacks of the time I had no other choice. Guilt for that has driven me through these 30+ years. I will not now, nor never will abandon my brothers and sisters again.

As I stated before, I'm 100% S/C P&T. I receive anything I need from the VA without cost. I do not need to push for more. I do so for my brothers and sisters, those who ARE in need. At a time when our country needed us and sent us to war, we went. We did not dodge or run, we went. We accepted danger and hardships as part of serving to our country. Some of us came back to overcome our experiences and succeed in our chosen profession. That did not free our country from its promise to us. We gave a little more when called, and for that the country promised to ensure that our medical needs would be covered for our entire lives. We served in combat for less than $100.00 a month, much less than our civilian counterparts received for working in an airconditioned and heated enviornment out of danger. I am not saying the country owes us anything, indeed it is we who owe our country for so much. I am saying that our country does need to fulfill their promises to us, however.

Many here have cited total dollar expenditures for the Department of Veterans Affairs. They ignore, however, the increase in costs over the years, the increased cost of medicine, wages, utilities, etc. They fail to compare the funding of the DVA per veteran with the funding per benificiary of other government programs. They fail to analize the increases in funding as a percentage of their budget and compare that to the funding for the DVA.

The DVA is now charging private insurance for certain services. That is good. I wish they were allowed to charge Medicare in the same way. It is these funds collected from private insurance agencies which have helped the DVA to continue services the way they have.

It is a shame some veterans allow petty partisan politics to cause them to abandon their duty to their fellow veterans. Since Vietnam I have distrusted politicians and their words and promises. For over 30 years I have not been disapointed. When their actions are examined, their words become meaningless. I see, however, that others on this board have allowed themselves to sway to the music of the snake charmers.
gocars
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Since Vietnam I have distrusted politicians and their words and promises. For over 30 years I have not been disapointed. When their actions are examined, their words become meaningless.

The great majority of our politicians are more interested in their own pocket-lining agendas than the concerns and needs of their constituents. I too have a deep distrust in most of our elected officials....for good reason.

Gocars
101st Airborne
'Nam 67-70
U.S. Army Rangers Lead the Way!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: