SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The initials controversy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Powerboss
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:17 am    Post subject: The initials controversy Reply with quote

I heard Al Franken talking about some intials that didn't match Kerry's on one of the after action reports...

I heard John O'Neill briefly respond to it but I didn't catch the answer.

What is the deal with this?

Can somebody point me to the thread(s) that have already gone over it.

Thanks.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe this is what you're looking for...

NavyChief wrote:

I've finally figured this one out with a lot of research on the traffic. What you are seeing on Kerry's website are the messages which were archived from COMNAVFORV files. The initials KJW, PDJ, RAP, and WAS are all Communications Watch Officers at Phu Lam. Phu Lam was the communications center outside Saigon that handled a ton of messages every day. Once the messages were pulled from the printer, the operator would type a Time of Receipt line (TOR), followed by the Date, Time Group / operator's opsign, followed by the CWO's intials. This was a tracking mechanism to ensure the messages weren't lost or missed. If a message was missed, then the radio operators could go back and request a resend.

Unfortunately I spent a lot of time on those intials and they turned out to be irrelevant to the authorship of the reports.

- Chief

http://www.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=82324#82324
Powerboss
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful!

Thanks.
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's kind of surprising to me that KJW (or one of his fellow operators) never found this forum and informed us of who exactly it was. I felt that would have really scuttled Kerry's story if we had it from the receiver's own mouth of how the messages were handled. I kept waiting for Chief to track him down, but it never happened (or maybe it did). Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: