SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'Original' Churchill Art Piece Creates Controversy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wpage
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: 'Original' Churchill Art Piece Creates Controversy Reply with quote

The video is well worth watching. Really shows what a ******* this wannabee is!

http://news4colorado.com/topstories/local_story_055200531.html
Quote:
CBS4
original artwork drawn by the late artist Thomas E. Mails
Art signed by Prof. Ward Churchill

CBS4 Video: Churchill's Aggressive Response To Artwork Controversy

Related Stories

Some Lawmakers Still Opposing Churchill
Lawmaker Criticizes School For Inviting Churchill
More On The Churchill Controversy

'Original' Churchill Art Piece Creates Controversy

Feb 24, 2005 8:03 pm US/Mountain
BOULDER, Colo. (CBS4) An exclusive report by CBS4 News indicates embattled University of Colorado professor Ward Churchill may have broken copyright law by making a mirror image of an artist's work and selling it as his own.

Placing Churchill's work beside that of renowned artist Thomas E. Mails and the two look like mirror images. But one is a copyrighted drawing. The other is an autographed print by Churchill.

When CBS4 News reporter Raj Chohan tried to talk to Churchill about a possible copyright infringement, he received an angry response.

The following text is a transcription from CBS4's footage of the exchange between Chohan and Churchill on Thursday in the hallway outside his office.

"Get that camera out of my face," Churchill said.

"This is an artwork we've got called 'Winter Attack.' It looks like it was based on a Thomas Mails painting; it looks like you ripped it off. Can you tell us about that?" Chohan asked.

That prompted Churchill to take a swing at Chohan while he held a stack of papers in his hand.

The exchange continued:

Chohan: "Sir, that's assault, you can't do that. Can I ask you about this? It looks like you copied it."

Churchill: "I was just grabbed by the arm. And that (camera) gets out of my face."

Chohan: "Sir, we're allowed to take these pictures, this is a public space."

Churchill: "You're not allowed to grab be by the arm."

Chohan: "He didn't touch you sir, we've got it all on tape. Sir, this is called Winter Attack. It's a serigraph by you. It looks like it was copied from Thomas Mails artwork. Can we talk to you about that please?"

Churchill made the serigraph in question in 1981 and called it "Winter Attack." He printed 150 copies and sold one of them to Duke Prentup for about $100.

"I have enjoyed them ever since, immensely," Prentup said. "They're, obviously, up in my house."

But last month came a stunning revelation. As Prentup flipped through a book of illustrations by renowned artist Thomas E. Mails, he found an artwork of striking similarity.

"And I opened it up and, wham! There it was," Prentup said. "It's the exact same thing, only mirror image, virtually to every detail."

The pen and ink sketch by Thomas Mails first appeared in his 1972 masterpiece, "The Mystic Warriors of the Plains."

Compare it side-by-side to the serigraph by Churchill, created some 20 years later: the composition, the images, the placement are nearly identical.

Intellectual property attorney Jim Hubbell said it's clearly no accident.

"It's very obvious that the Churchill piece was taken directly from the Mails piece," Hubbell said. "There's just too many similarities between the two for it to have been coincidence."

Several minutes after CBS4's first encounter with Churchill, he emerged from his office and was willing to talk. He acknowledged his artwork was based on the Thomas Mails piece. And, he said he disclosed that during his initial release of the serigraph.

"It is an original art work by me, after Thomas Mails," Churchill said. "The fact that the purchaser was ignorant of the reality of what was perfectly publicly stated at the time the edition was printed is not my responsibility."

A closer examination of the Churchill piece revealed there is no credit given to the original artist. Churchill also refused to provide CBS4 with documentation that would prove his claims.
But even if it exists, it wouldn't be enough to protect Churchill from copyright infringement unless he had permission from the copyright holder.

"Unless there was consent for Churchill to do the piece, then there is a copyright infringement here," Hubbell said.

When contacted at his home in North Carolina, Ryan Mails, the son of the late Thomas Mails said the family still retained the copyrights to the drawings of the Mystic Warriors book, and that his father fiercely defended the copyrights.

"My father invested a great deal of himself in his work, and from that he developed a great fierceness in defending his work," Mails' son said. "I cannot imagine he would ever grant permission to anyone to copy one of his pieces."

Back in Prentup's Boulder County home, the Churchill serigraph still hangs. One quarter Native American himself, Prentup said he loves the image; he's just not sure whose artwork it really is.

"Sure, it makes me angry, it makes me very disappointed," Prentup said. "I wanted some original artwork from what appeared to be a very good local artist. Now I don't know what I've got."

A quick Internet search indicates a number of Churchill pieces selling on eBay, including another copy of "Winter Attack." Certainly, part of the buzz for these art works is the ongoing controversy surrounding Churchill.

University of Colorado Regents are investigating Churchill's work at the university. They are expected to return a decision on whether he has violated tenure by early March.

CBS4 Video:

Churchill's Aggressive Response To Artwork Controversy
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most importantly, regardless of their leftist bent, this will deal a severe blow to Churchill's "standing" within the academic community. Plagiarism is is a high crime in the eyes of academia...and it couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Thanks for the post.
kman
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Sitting Bull**** could use an anger management class. This just keeps getting better. Very Happy

Kurt
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is this guy still working? Seems there would be a smart lawyer out there offering up free service to the University (if it's Churchill's lawsuit threats that they are concerned about) or offer to represent a group of angry parents (if it's not).
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rdtf wrote:
Why is this guy still working?

As the University has stated, if his removal (should they elect to oust him) is not accomplished via the L E T T E R of appropriate procedure, the inevitable lawsuit will result in a financial windfall for a still-tenured Churchill.

In this case it appears that the wheels of justice must grind slowly.
FreeFall
LCDR

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
University of Colorado Regents are investigating Churchill's work at the university. They are expected to return a decision on whether he has violated tenure by early March.

Adios Tonto and the horse you rode in on.
Uisguex Jack
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All that's missing from this story is Cato Kaelin and Churchill, on video together delivering whiskey to Michael Jackson's Neverland.

Man, this guy is a ***** of the very highest order.

I could'nt get the video to play, I think there's likely a high demand for viewing it just now. But just looking at the pictures side by side blows my mind. Then his reaction, Yikes.
AMOS
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Phony Reply with quote

Part of Psycho-Ward's bio taken from Ebay description of this "work of art":

Ward Churchill, of Creek/Cherokee Tribal Heritage.
Born in Urbana, Illinois October 2, 1947.
1966 - Nov. 1968 US Army, Vietnam, 101st Airborne and 4th Infantry Division, LRRP.

So, he's not an Indian, not an artist, not 101st Airborne..............what's next? Not a male?
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uisguex Jack wrote:
All that's missing from this story is Cato Kaelin and Churchill, on video together delivering whiskey to Michael Jackson's Neverland.

Yeah, but he's determined to find the real artist. They is a BS purveyor of the caliber of Slick Willy.
Uisguex Jack
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I just had a second thought about this. The best way to describe this art thing is 'Kerry like'. I'm thinking of Kerry's long squalid history of his decorations and Medals.
Puts himself in for Purple Hearts, Throws the Medals away in some sickening Publicity stunt in 71..... Has them taken away with Disshonerable Discharge... and somehow has them reinstated by politcal favor later and currently has them on his office wall. Silver Star with combat V for Valor....

http://www.frontpagemagazine.com/Articles/ReadArticle.asp?ID=14743

I think Kerry and Churchill must have some similar life experiences some where in there.
Tom Poole
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uisguex Jack wrote:
...Kerry and Churchill must have some similar life experiences...

Indeed they do. Most of us here recall the flower children and hippies. Many of us found the term hippie to represent a despicable, disrespectful, loud America-hater. The mentalities of Silky Pony and Churchill-the-Wannabee originate from this squamulose era. Both seem willing to lie, defraud, denigrate and who knows what else, violence perhaps, with the oldest of classical motives: money and power.

Hopefully now, Silky Pony and Churchill-the-Wannabee have been neutered. In any event, I feel better knowing we've won round one.
Arty Guy
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wheels of the gods grind slowly, but they grind exceedingly fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: