SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I guess we do have a few friends in Hollywood....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lthrneck
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:49 am    Post subject: I guess we do have a few friends in Hollywood.... Reply with quote

I guess this won't win him any Oscars with the liberal elite of hollywood, but he's ok in my book.

Denzel Washington was visiting BAMC (Brook Army Medical Center, in San Antonio, Texas) recently. This is where soldiers that have been evac'd from Germany come to be hospitalized in the States, especially burn victims.

They have buildings there called Fisher Houses. The Fisher House is a hotel that soldiers’ families can stay at, for little or no charge, while their soldier is staying in the hospital. BAMC has quite a few of these houses on base, but as you can imagine, they are almost filled to the brim most of the time. While Denzel Washington was visiting BAMC, they gave him a tour of one of the Fisher Houses. He asked how much one of them would cost to build. He got his check book out and wrote a check out for the full amount right there on the spot. The soldiers overseas were amazed to hear this story and want to get the word out to the American public, because it warmed their hearts to hear it.

He has a son who is a Marine in Iraq

Semper fi
uuurah
Carry On!!
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great post lthrneck...and BZ! to Denzel Washington! Hopefully it will inspire some similar activity among his peers in the well-heeled HWood community.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denzel is a stand up guy, in my book. Unlike some of his "contemporaries." More Hollywoodites need to come out in support of the troops like this.

Edited to add: Snopes Urban Legend site lists this as TRUE!!!!!!
3rd gen Navy
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:58 am    Post subject: Fisher House Reply with quote

FYI: The Fisher House is one of the Pro soldier/sailor charities I tried to draw attention to during the holidays. I support these guys 110% and now that we've accomplished our goal w/ Kerry, until Corsi passes the hat, they're getting my $$$$.

Have a look! Browse a while and leave some $$$ behind when you go!

http://www.fisherhouse.org/

Cheers!
BS Biology, Business Administration, Nursing
The Deal with Life: Make decisions based on what you might gain, not on what you may lose.
!!!!!! LET THE WILD RUMPUS BEGIN !!!!!!
lthrneck
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should know better, I usually check urban legends page etc before posting these stories.....
apologies

Airborne Combat Engineer
note: URL converted to hypertext

Semper fi
uuurah
Carry On!!
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know what the true story is, but Snopes reports that he did make a "substantial donation". Now, while it might not have covered the cost of an entire house, my hat's still off to him and would be just for taking the time to support the enterprise by associating his name with it.

Snopes wrote:
Denzel Washington

Claim: Actor Denzel Washington made a large donation to the Fisher House Foundation after visiting Brooke Army Medical Center.

According to the Fisher House Foundation, when Denzel Washington was at Fort Sam Houston in December 2004, he did visit its Fisher House, learned of their need for additional facilities, and — although he did not, as described above, "get out his checkbook" on the spot and write a check for the full amount needed to construct a new building — made a substantial contribution to the charity. Between Mr. Washington's generous donation and other contributions collected over the holidays, the Foundation now has the funds necessary to build another house near the Brooke Army Medical Center.

Snopes
NRA Life Member
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Denzel Washington as donor, NOT TRUE Reply with quote

The story of Denzel Washington's donation is false. A full explanation can be found at:
http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/denzel.asp
Deuce
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Denzel Washington as donor, NOT TRUE Reply with quote

NRA Life Member wrote:
The story of Denzel Washington's donation is false. A full explanation can be found at:
http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/denzel.asp

NRA, Don't write it completely off just yet....like in a jury trial, with Snopes the jury is still out (at least with me :)... I completely agree with your name, tho'!

looking forward to seeing some of you at the Orlando Gun Show next weekend.

Admin note: BBCode enabled
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Snopes did amend their entry on this subject as of a 4 March revision...

Snopes wrote:
Although Fisher House representatives initially told us Mr. Washington had already made a donation, they later said that although such a donation on the actor's part might be in the offing, it has not yet actually been made.

The fact that Mr. Washington took the time to visit with our wounded is commendable. It's unfortunate that this "donation" flap ever arose.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: