SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The other Gray Lady in New York

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:31 am    Post subject: The other Gray Lady in New York Reply with quote

(Note to Admin: I do not own stock in Dow Jones Inc )

Pleasantly surprised with a recent, free registration with the WSJ's Opinion Journal. Todays list read like an echo of G&S:

Zero-Tolerance Watch
A follow-up on a Monday item: McKay High School in Salem, Ore., has struck a deal with freshman Shea Riecke, who'd been told she couldn't use a photo of her Marine brother as part of an assignment showing McKay graduates at work. Portland's KATU-TV reports:

We Didn't Even Know She Served in Vietnam
"[Hillary] Clinton Supporters Gear Up Against 'Swift Boat' Tactics"--headline, New York Time, April 1

'Hanoi Jane': I'm Sorry (Sort Of)
"Jane Fonda regrets her visit to a North Vietnamese gun site in 1972, the actress and fitness guru said in an interview with CBS television show '60 Minutes' to be aired on Sunday," Reuters reports:

The actress defended her trip to Vietnam in 1972, which won her the nickname "Hanoi Jane." But she said her visit to a North Vietnamese anti-aircraft gun site used to shoot down U.S. pilots was a "betrayal" of the U.S. military.

"The image of Jane Fonda, Barbarella, Henry Fonda's daughter . . . sitting on an enemy aircraft gun was a betrayal," she said, calling the act, "The largest lapse of judgment that I can even imagine."

But she said she did not regret visiting Hanoi, or being photographed with American prisoners of war there.

This will probably be too little, too late for many of Fonda's detractors--but at least it's better than anything John Kerry has done

The Filibuster Party
This morning an e-mail popped into our box from John Kerry. The name sounded familiar, but we couldn't quite place it, so we went back and looked at some old columns. It turns out he's a haughty, French-looking Massachusetts Democrat, who by the way promised 61 days ago to release his military records. Apparently he served in Asia someplace, where he claimed to have committed war crimes.

I haven't read the WSJ in years. Glad to know New York still publishes one great paper with history, tradition and and my sensibilities.

(Again, sorry Admin. for the off-site plug.)

-Wlm Shakespeare
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: