SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Zogby Poll: Americans Not in Favor of Starving Terri Schiavo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:28 am    Post subject: Zogby Poll: Americans Not in Favor of Starving Terri Schiavo Reply with quote

the MSN got it wrong again...now aint that a surprise...this needs to be shared, far & wide
emphasis added
http://www.lifenews.com/bio891.html
Quote:
Zogby Poll: Americans Not in Favor of Starving Terri Schiavo
by Steven Ertelt, LifeNews.com Editor April 1, 2005

Washington, DC (LifeNews.com) -- Polls leading up to the death of Terri Schiavo made it appear Americans had formed a consensus in favor of ending her life. However, a new Zogby poll with fairer questions shows the nation clearly supporting Terri and her parents and wanting to protect the lives of other disabled patients.

The Zogby poll found that, if a person becomes incapacitated and has not expressed their preference for medical treatment, as in Terri's case, 43 percent say "the law presume that the person wants to live, even if the person is receiving food and water through a tube" while just 30 percent disagree.

Another Zogby question his directly on Terri's circumstances.

"If a disabled person is not terminally ill, not in a coma, and not being kept alive on life support, and they have no written directive, should or should they not be denied food and water," the poll asked.

A whopping 79 percent said the patient should not have food and water taken away while just 9 percent said yes.

"From the very start of this debate, Americans have sat on one of two sides," Concerned Women for America's Lanier Swann said in response to the poll. One side "believes Terri's life has worth and purpose, and the side who saw Michael Schiavo's actions as merciful, and appropriate."

More than three-fourths of Americans agreed, Swann said, "because a person is disabled, that patient should never be denied food and water."

The poll also lent support to members of Congress to who passed legislation seeking to prevent Terri's starvation death and help her parents take their lawsuit to federal courts.

"When there is conflicting evidence on whether or not a patient would want to be on a feeding tube, should elected officials order that a feeding tube be removed or should they order that it remain in place," respondents were asked.

Some 18 percent said the feeding tube should be removed and 42 percent said it should remain in place.

Swann said her group would encourage Congress to adopt legislation that would federal courts to review cases when the medical treatment desire of individuals is not known and the patient's family has a dispute over the care.

"According to these poll results, many Americans do in fact agree with what we're trying to accomplish," she said.

The poll found that 49 percent of Americans believe there should be exceptions to the right of a spouse to act as a guardian for an incapacitated spouse. Only 39 percent disagreed.

When asked directly about Terri's case and told the her estranged husband Michael "has had a girlfriend for 10 years and has two children with her" 56 percent of Americans believed guardianship should have been turned over to Terri's parents while 37 percent disagreed.

The MSM will not understand why they are losing more and more credibility with the informed citizens.
Interesting how wording a question changes the outcome of a poll

Sailor in the Desert
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ABC rigged their poll to get the results they wanted. By framing the question the way they did, it appeared that Terri Schiavo was brain dead and being kept alive by methods other then a feeding tube.

You can read more on the ABC Poll here and here.
Barbie2004
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was so obvious.

The MSM did their bogus poll to affect congress.

The public should have hearings on this matter, and I hope this gives congress the backbone to follow through!

Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
FreeFall
LCDR

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As usual, the public wasn't told all the facts about Terri by the MSM. I heard a lady on Jim Bohannan's show the other day, Rita Marker, talking about Terri's case. Rita runs this site and she was very unhappy with what happend to Terri.

http://www.internationaltaskforce.org/schiavofacts.htm

She also mentioned that many disabled people she knows are now scared after what happened to Terri. Rita said something like 875,000 people use feeding tubes today and a lot of them go to work everyday, so just having a feeding tube doesn't mean your life is worthless.

She also warned about being specific in Living wills. She mentioned two people, one who accidently choked on food in the hospital and the other who got the wrong medication were not helped by the staff due to their having a living will. Neither one of these things had to do with their condition, but the staff let them die instead of assisting them in the hospital. More stuff to think about.
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FreeFall wrote:
As usual, the public wasn't told all the facts about Terri by the MSM. I heard a lady on Jim Bohannan's show the other day, Rita Marker, talking about Terri's case. Rita runs this site and she was very unhappy with what happend to Terri.

http://www.internationaltaskforce.org/schiavofacts.htm

She also mentioned that many disabled people she knows are now scared after what happened to Terri. Rita said something like 875,000 people use feeding tubes today and a lot of them go to work everyday, so just having a feeding tube doesn't mean your life is worthless.

She also warned about being specific in Living wills. She mentioned two people, one who accidently choked on food in the hospital and the other who got the wrong medication were not helped by the staff due to their having a living will. Neither one of these things had to do with their condition, but the staff let them die instead of assisting them in the hospital. More stuff to think about.

That sounds horrifying! And who would have ever thought that a feeding tube would be considered life support when considering this. I know I have probably said 'I wouldn't want to live that way' in the past, but of course I was referring to an unconscious coma patient on a respirator!
Tanya
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understanding Media Polling & Bias
By Kevin D. Korenthal
Exclusive to MichNews.com

http://www.michnews.com/artman/publish/article_7470.shtml

"I told you earlier I would reveal how the Terri Schiavo case polling could have been manipulated to produce a particular result. A recent ABC News poll purported that fully 63% of those polled support the removal of Schiavo's feeding tube, and by a 25-point margin oppose a law mandating federal review of her case. But it was reported by the weblog Captain’s Quarters that the way the polling questions were worded may have played a role in the lopsided results that and other simularly worded polls produced. One of the questions was asked like this:

Schiavo suffered brain damage and has been on life support for 15 years. Doctors say she has no consciousness and her condition is irreversible. Her husband and her parents disagree about whether she would have wanted to be kept alive. Florida courts have sided with the husband and her feeding tube was removed on Friday.

What’s your opinion on this case - do you support or oppose the decision to remove Schiavo’s feeding tube? Do you support/oppose it strongly or somewhat?"
blue9t3
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I hit the pearly gates (ya right) at some point Im going to see Bubba, best damn dog in the world, and he is going to thank me for not letting him rot like a vegetable in the frig, and I will tell him "I would do it for anybody" Crying or Very sad
DLI78
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue9T3,

I'd be willing to bet that you had a vet give the best damn dog in the world a shot to end his misery rather than let him starve to death.

I've had vets put down my pets also, when necessary. I hope your Bubba is playing with my best dog and that they're busy chasing my favorite cats (yeah, as if a cat could get into heaven.)

You ever see Monty Python and the Holy Grail? In the "Bring Out the Dead" skit the old guy keeps protesting that he feels fine. His son finally says, "Quit being such a crybaby" or words to that effect. Then he pays a guy to bonk the old guy over the head. Kinda like what just happened in Floriduh.
DLI78
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first heard about the Schiavo case in the last few weeks, it was the standard crap about her being brain dead and let her go.

Then I saw the videos of her reacting to stuff around her. And I heard about care givers who said she could say a few words, and doctors who said she wasn't dead yet.

That's a lot different from "brain dead". If you're definitely dead and not coming back and have to rely on a bunch of machines to breathe, maybe it's time to go.

If all you need to live is food and water, that sounds like everybody I know. If you're basically a zombie, that sounds like everybody I know the last hour of every work day.

If the only news you get about the case is from some leftist propaganda machine (the alphabet channels and CNN) then you probably think she was suffering. I think now that the only time she was suffering was when they pulled her feeding tube.

"Don't worry, the part of her brain that can feel pain has been destroyed, which is why we're pumping her full of morphine." Sis yes sir, three bags full!

She didn't leave clear, written instructions. So you are left with taking the word of a man who has another family and kids who says he remembers now what she said before she became his favorite vegetable, or choosing life. I'm surprised ANYBODY sides with Michael Schiavo.
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lotsa_Static wrote:
When I first heard about the Schiavo case in the last few weeks, it was the standard crap about her being brain dead and let her go.

Then I saw the videos of her reacting to stuff around her. And I heard about care givers who said she could say a few words, and doctors who said she wasn't dead yet.

That's a lot different from "brain dead". If you're definitely dead and not coming back and have to rely on a bunch of machines to breathe, maybe it's time to go.

If all you need to live is food and water, that sounds like everybody I know. If you're basically a zombie, that sounds like everybody I know the last hour of every work day.

If the only news you get about the case is from some leftist propaganda machine (the alphabet channels and CNN) then you probably think she was suffering. I think now that the only time she was suffering was when they pulled her feeding tube.

"Don't worry, the part of her brain that can feel pain has been destroyed, which is why we're pumping her full of morphine." Sis yes sir, three bags full!

She didn't leave clear, written instructions. So you are left with taking the word of a man who has another family and kids who says he remembers now what she said before she became his favorite vegetable, or choosing life. I'm surprised ANYBODY sides with Michael Schiavo.

Ahhh! Soooo well put! But ya know, those same video clips were played all the time on CNN, and so many folks still didn't get it.
DLI78
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RDTF,

My company recently had an annual party to hornor outstanding staff and so on.

The boss hired a few magicians to entertain us. One of them was really slick. I watched him perform at our table and then again at another table. I never saw how he did it, but he managed to get a baseball under an empty cup.

I KNOW from watching his second act that he was relying on sleight of hand, but he still tricked me into seeing the baseball appear under that cup. It's the same thing with Communist News Network (CNN, called Isvestia in the old country). You watch it and you know what's coming, but you still see what they tell you to see.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: