SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reporting for Duty

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
radioshack6770
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reporting for Duty Reply with quote

Hello All.

I'm reporting for duty, Sir.

I was active duty U.S.N. 1 Nov 66 through 31 Jul 70. I attended boot camp, basic electronis school, and radioman school all at U.S.N.T.C., San Diego. Out of radioman school, I was ordered to report for duty aboard USS Iwo Jima LPH-2, which I did in August 1967. After seven weeks of mess cooking aboard the Iwo, I was in the radio shack. I had two WestPac tours aboard the Iwo. November 67 through June 68 and March 69 through September 69. The Iwo Jima was a helicopter carrier, and along with an LPD, LST and LSD, comprised an amphibious task group. The mission was to support a Marine Battalion Landing Troop in country. We also had some small specialty units aboard, such as beach jumper unit and underwater demolition team.

The marines would cycle back aboard ship for some down time -- hot meal, shower, rest. We also had a pretty robust medical facility aboard to handle the many "medevac inbound." We operated from Da Nang north to the mouth of the Cua Viet river. By night fall, we were usually back in the Da Nang area. We would put the Marine helos down in the hangar bay to make the flight deck available for the helos otherwise at Da Nang so when rocketed at night they would not be destroyed.

There for the Tet offensive in Jan 1968. Also off the coast of Viet Nam when the USS Pueblo was taken by the North Koreans.

Made third class and eventually second class radioman aboard the Iwo. Attended teletype repair school.

The Iwo was the prime recovery ship for the Apollo 13 mission in April 1970, one of the more pleasant shipboard experiences.

I left active duty 31 Jul 70 to go back to school -- law school. Graduated law school, joined the Los Angeles District Attorney's Office as a deputy D.A. Have now been a Judge of Los Angeles Superior Court for the past 11 years.

For many years after my service in the Navy, I put it out of mind. Much of this due to the negative reaction of the public and even friends to having served in VietNam. Once, while in uniform traveling from San Diego to Newark, N.J., for a vacation visit, I was spat on in the airport and called "baby killer." It is only since Desert Storm, with the positive image of the military, that I began to look back at my Navy days with some sense of accomplishment and pride. It was people like John Kerry, who took the position of the enemy, and attacked our men and women in uniform, who created this hostility. It took me years to get over it, as I'm sure many others did too. John Kerry and his ilk robbed me and thousands of vets and active duty military of the honor and glory that we deserved. I applaud the courage and vision of the Swift Vets for bringing to the public's attention the harm that John Kerry and his confederates caused this country.

I am honored to report for duty.
RStauch
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:26 pm    Post subject: Duty Never Ends Reply with quote

Welcome aboard, sir!

I've served on juries in Southern California, and I want to express my appreciation for the honest, no-nonsense judges I've dealt with. Common sense is a lost art with too many, today. An L.A. Superior Court judge once told me that common sense is that quality of mind that, if you have to ask what it is, you don't possess it. I've never forgotten that.

Thank you, and thank all of you who have served our country and our people, in and out of uniform. It is participatory in nature, you know. Take action, and stand for that which makes sense.

Peace ... Through Strength,
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard! Very interesting story! Smile

And look - no spitting, here! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: