SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Illegals hurting Training

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FreeFall
LCDR

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Illegals hurting Training Reply with quote

Illegals Blocking Marine Training

Marines getting ready for combat in Iraq or Afghanistan are having their training time shortened because hordes of illegal aliens from Mexico are wandering onto their firing ranges in Arizona while crossing the border illegally.

According to the Boston Globe, the commanding officers of the Marine Corps Air Station in Yuma, Arizona explained that virtually every Marine squadron headed to Iraq or Afghanistan receives combat training at the station, which for nearly 40 miles touches the U.S.-Mexico border in the southwestern corner of Arizona.

Colonel James J. Cooney, the base's commanding officer, told the Globe that since July 2004, the training range has been shut down more than 500 times because of immigrants spotted on the range, causing a loss of more than 1,100 training hours.

"We're getting overrun here. Any moment we take away from a Marine's experience base could cost him his life in combat," Cooney said.

He added that his Marines intercepted more than 1,500 undocumented immigrants on the training range last year and, in the first three months of this year, more than 1,100. He said that base personnel detain the immigrants and call in Border Patrol agents to pick them up.

"I have to use Marines that aren't trained in that to do that, which puts me at a liability," Cooney said. "It's completely counterproductive to our whole training operation.

"We just don't want them to come here, because we're firing lasers, we're shooting machine guns, we're shooting 209-millimeter cannons, and we're dropping practice bombs."

The Globe reported that last summer a Marine pilot dropped a practice bomb on a target and seconds later, a few feet away, a small group of illegal immigrants scrambled from underneath a bush and ran down the range. The near miss was caught on a training tape that Cooney has reviewed.

So far the Marines said there have been no deaths of immigrants in the training exercises.

"My overall concern is that we'd have an unfortunate incident out there where we'd inadvertently harm an illegal entrant that we did not spot or see, and that in turn would cause a moratorium on training until we sorted out what exactly happened," said Cooney.

And it's not just the Marines having the problem. According to the Globe one Army base and another the Air Force base, have experienced similar problems.

At the Army Yuma Proving Ground, near the Marine Corps Air Station but about 30 miles north of the border, an increasing number of undocumented immigrants have invaded military space and disrupted training.

"The smugglers just drive them up the highway and dump them off, and these illegal immigrants stumble right onto our testing range," said Chuck Wullenjohn, spokesman for the Yuma Proving Ground, one of the largest military installations in the Western world which constantly conducts tests for ground forces on artillery and ammunition, including tank rounds, mines, mortars, and helicopter guns.

"Having anyone on this range that doesn't belong here is extremely dangerous," Wullenjohn told the Globe. "The illegal immigrant issue is becoming a bigger problem all the time."

The Air Force told the Globe it has had to interrupt exercises with F-16 pilots after undocumented immigrants were spotted on a bombing range east of Gila Bend, north of the border.

"In 2004 we suspended range operations 55 times for a net loss of 122 hours," said Jim Uken, director of the 56th Fighter Wing range management office.

There is the additional concern that foreign terrorists could cross the Mexican border and infiltrate the Arizona bases to conduct intelligence gathering or commit acts of sabotage.

"The potential exists, and that is a key reason we are vigilant about securing our training ranges," Col. Cooney told the Globe
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

see similiar article here...

http://www.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=148086&sid=#148086
Quote:
This video shows a pilot dropping a practice bomb during a training exercise. Seconds after the bomb lands, you can see illegal immigrants, highlighted here, running from the target.
there is a link to the video of the bomb dropping
Wink
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Yuma Proving Ground is big but well marked. Bigger yet and stretching 100 miles south and east from Yuma is the Barry Goldwater Bombing Range. We're talking stinking Desert National Monument and Cobalt Testing Range, a truly godawful place to be on foot. They must pull 40-60 bodies a year out of there. This time of years not too bad but next month the temps will pop over the century mark and it's no man's land.

Did ranch work out that way mumble, mumble years ago. I'd be bouncing along on a D9 when F16s would blow by on low-fly exercises. Late night on the porch arc-lights and concussions were entertainment. The trouble then was scavengers out on the range collecting metal (reminds me of the bonca boats fighting alongside for spent 5" powder cans during NGSF). The illegals then knew the backroads north along the SP just like over weight trucks and hot bulldozers. There was still money in cotton and agriculture to absorb the illegals in any number of labor camps along the way.

Don't know the op tempo there today but the labor camps are gone, and the farms and ranches are abandoned.

-Wlm Shakespeare
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted a couple of messages here.

All the opposition needs is the tiniest shred and they can point and say, "Lookee here - I TOLD you conservatives are racist!"

We think we're engaging in dark humor and sarcasm - but the duhhhhh types that lurk will do to you what they've tried to do to Jerome Corsi.

Watch out for how you can be misconstrued - because when you are, you are helping the people who want to discredit the SVPT organization.
Doc Farmer
LCDR

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navy_Navy_Navy wrote:
Deleted a couple of messages here.

All the opposition needs is the tiniest shred and they can point and say, "Lookee here - I TOLD you conservatives are racist!"

We think we're engaging in dark humor and sarcasm - but the duhhhhh types that lurk will do to you what they've tried to do to Jerome Corsi.

Watch out for how you can be misconstrued - because when you are, you are helping the people who want to discredit the SVPT organization.

Gee, and I thought the small print in mine would have mitigated the joke. Live 'n' learn, I suppose.

Sorry.

Fat, Bald and Ugly - And PROUD Of It!
blue9t3
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must have been my lemonade comment! Confused Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: