SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

waltjones and Greenhat will probably hate this guy too!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ROTC DAD
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 8:08 pm    Post subject: waltjones and Greenhat will probably hate this guy too! Reply with quote

Read the article.

http://www.sacbee.com/content/opinion/story/9316830p-10241546c.html
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you can add me to the list, too.

First of all, the Sacramento Bee might as well put an ANSWER subheading under its title.

It's been anti-war and leftist since at least the Vietnam war.

It just never bothered to leave the 70's and still exists in that "All The President's Men" world where the establishment sucks and conservatism is a bad word.

Wonder if this "Marine" re-staged incidents for video, too?
mikest
PO2

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These soldiers are in an untennable situation. They have no choice but to open fire in so many situations.

I remember early on when there was a van load of pregnent women that was blown apart at a bridge checkpoint. My first thought was "these poor kids, they had no choice but will still have to live with it."

It's hard not to simpathize with the troops to this day going through the same hell. They never know when the next civilian is going to turn out to be an attacker. The fact that some can not cope with it is equally sad. This kid does not deserve derission, just sympathy.
carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Withholding judgement and comment until this guy and his story are thoroughly vetted.

Kerry's winter soldier testimony taught me this.
ROTC DAD
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so glad to note that Navy_Navy_Navy has nothing to say about the article, only that the paper is a leftist rag. As usual, the truth of the poor guy's accusations isn't brought into question, just that he must be some kind of leftist.

It's obvious that many of you really don't care about the truth, honesty, or even our supposed place in the world if it should in any way not conform to your selective view.

Navy_Navy_Navy,

He served; he was discharged. He saw these things, yet all you can do is complain about the newspaper he gave the interview to. And you continue to condone Administration policy which sees no problems with bypassing the Geneva Conventions, using torture, and basically ignoring all the laws which we here in the US are trying to provide for the Iraqis all in the nam of the US. What's even worse is that men and women in harm's way are ill-served by all thse in the chain of comand who believed that we are somehow above the very laws we are supposedly defending.

And yes, I've heard all the idiot arguements about how Saddam was much worse and these are just hazing pranks. And the stupidity of those statements is self-evident. If our purpose is noble, we must act nobly whether or not anyone else does! We rgue the moral high ground, then act as bad as they do? This is exactly the issue concerning Iraq and Vietnam! You can't argue the moral high ground when your no better than the other guy!

Get a clue, lady! Quit getting your news from Rush Limbaugh and the rest of the abuse apologists. Wewill not win if we do not win the hearts and minds of the Iraqis, and everytime something like Abu Ghraib comes up, we lose that many more Iraqis to the insurgents! Learn some ****ing history!
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROTC DAD wrote:

Navy_Navy_Navy,
He served; he was discharged. He saw these things,

Prove it.
Greenhat
LCDR

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROTC DAD wrote:

He served; he was discharged.

Unlike John F. Kerry.

As for "SSG Massey", I'd like to see some proof that he actually served. My initial impression is that he did, but he is exageratting for his own benefit (my guess is attempting to get VA disability).

1. Depleted Uranium is not everywhere, and his comments about it are directly contrary to all medical studies, as well as to demonstrated use of DU by military forces.

2. His comments regarding cluster munitions are also confusing. Would be interesting to look at the Marine casualty list and see if anyone was injured by a cluster munition. I have a feeling this will prove to be an exageration.

3. The most striking thing is that he claims that the "lighting up" of a particular vehicle was the turning point for him, but: "It involved a car with Iraqi civilians. From all the intelligence reports we were getting, the cars were loaded down with suicide bombs or material. That's the rhetoric we received from intelligence. They came upon our checkpoint. We fired some warning shots. They didn't slow down. So we lit them up."

They fired warning shots. They didn't slow down. They lit them up.

Anybody remember the first couple of months when there were suicide attacks against roadblocks? Seems to me that he is claiming they did exactly what they should have. And he feels guilty about it.
Richard
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROTC DAD,

Let me weigh in on this article. First, I am very familiar with the Sacto Bee. I lived in Sacramento and then Chico for years. It is very liberally oriented. But notice that it wasn't written by the Bee. It is a reprint from the NY Times. Chris Hedges was booed during a commencement speech at Rockford College about a year ago. Here is a snippet:
Quote:
From a speech by Chris Hedges:

We have lost touch with the essence of war. Following our defeat in Vietnam we became a better nation. We were humbled, even humiliated. We asked questions about ourselves we had not asked before.

We were forced to see ourselves as others saw us and the sight was not always a pretty one. We were forced to confront our own capacity for a atrocity -- for evil -- and in this we understood not only war but more about ourselves. But that humility is gone.

This article is like saying "My friend told me . . . ." It is the same thing Kerry did with the Winter Soldier Investigation. He organized a bunch of malcontents and then repeated their words as if the truth had been verified. It had not, and neither is this testimony from SSgt Jimmy Massey. And by promoting this type of journalism smears all military. Notice how the article starts by saying:
    "The brutality, the sheer carnage of the U.S. invasion, touched his conscience and transformed him forever."

So, don't be surprised when you hear someone questioning the article's credibility.

Richard
ROTC DAD
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the arguement here is that the Sacramento Bee simply wrote a lie; is that it?

Firstly, whether or not Chris Hedges was booed at a Commencement means absolutely nothing. Those people who know Chris Hedge's work having nothing but respect for it and him. So a bunch of college kids who don't want to hear what he has to say because it doesn't jibe with their personal zietgiest isn't proof of anything other than wishful thinking on the part of the young.

Secondly, as stated above, Chris Hedges is a well-respected reporter and observer. He has a fairly storied history and I am inclined to believe someone who has a substantial body of work behind him.

Thirdly, assuming only half of what this marine said is true; that's not bad enough? At what point do we completely lose the struggle for hearts and minds; when we've killed every Iraqi? Or when we've killed only half of them?

Navy_Navy_Navy,

You would know; wouldn't you? Obviously anyone who disagrees with your view can't be in the military.

As for proving it: Prove you are who you say you are.
Greenhat
LCDR

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROTC Dad,

War isn't nice. It is brutal. It is barbaric. And it is also necessary.

Nothing in the comments by the SSG that are credible are a crime. Nothing that is credible is especially surprising and nothing about the episode he claims changed him forever is a mistake. Assuming it happened as described, those Marines did EXACTLY what they should have done. The supposed Iraqi comment: "Why did you kill my brother? He did nothing wrong." is incorrect. His brother failed to heed warning shots. He died for it.
ROTC DAD
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greenhat,

I didn't say he committed a crime. Nor do I think war is some kind of game played by the Marquis of Queensbury Rules. But many of the so-called objective observers on this site say John Kerry made the same kind of statements so he must be a war criminal. So, which is it then? Because a soldier cannot bear the burden of his conscience, he's a war criminal or is he just someone who has seen more than he should have to bear alone?
Greenhat
LCDR

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROTC DAD wrote:
Greenhat,

I didn't say he committed a crime. Nor do I think war is some kind of game played by the Marquis of Queensbury Rules. But many of the so-called objective observers on this site say John Kerry made the same kind of statements so he must be a war criminal. So, which is it then? Because a soldier cannot bear the burden of his conscience, he's a war criminal or is he just someone who has seen more than he should have to bear alone?

Kerry claimed he committed warcrimes, and that they were policy. Kerry was also an Officer in the US Navy when he said it.

Ain't the same. Not even close.
ROTC DAD
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerry claimed he committed atrocities. Greenhat, your being disingenuous.
Greenhat
LCDR

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROTC DAD wrote:
Kerry claimed he committed atrocities. Greenhat, your being disingenuous.

Atrocities and warcrimes are synonyms. Disingenious? No, I actually understand the languages that I use and what Kerry said. Maybe he didn't understand it.
ROTC DAD
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem then is that the person in the article I sited is a war criminal as he committed atrocities (though he does not use that word, you can see that that is what he believes). You see the problem, don't you.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: