SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This is sadly true.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lthrneck
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:43 pm    Post subject: This is sadly true. Reply with quote

http://www.wtv-zone.com/Mary/PASSINGOFGENERATION.HTML

Semper fi
uuurah
Carry On!!
gocars
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it hadn't been for the Greatest Generation we'd all be conversing in German, Japanese, and Italian. I read somewhere that WWII vets are dying at the rate of 1,600 a week....pretty soon they'll all be gone.

Go and find a WWII vet and say thanks for his or her sacrifices.

gocars
101st Airborne
'Nam 67-70
U.S. Army Rangers Lead the Way!
lthrneck
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My father in-law is in his early 80's, he was on the New Orleans at Pearl 12-7-41. He get's plenty of attention from schools etc and is very proud of his days in the Navy (he did 20 yrs).
(2 more days in California).

Semper fi
uuurah
Carry On!!
gocars
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lthrneck:
I'll bet you've had some interesting conversations with your father-in-law!
I can remember talking with my dad about his WWII experiences.....I sure miss him; he passed away 12 years ago at 72.

Have you decided which route you'll be taking back to Georgia? If you're coming thru El Paso I'd like nothing better than to take you and your family out to lunch or dinner.

gocars
101st Airborne
'Nam 67-70
U.S. Army Rangers Lead the Way!
garb1015
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Dad was in the 104th Cavalry, Recon Squad in France and Belgium in 1944-45. He was on a halftrack and his squad ran point for the tank columns.
He didn't talk much about it until after I had been in the Army and even then I could tell there were a lot of things he was keeping to himself.
Unfortunately, he passed away in January, 1997 at the age of seventy-four.
But he led a full life. He and my Mom, who passed away three months before he did, were married for 57 years. They had five children, six grandchildren and nine great-grandchildren.
He was the best man I have ever known or will probably ever know.
PhuCat to Phu Quoc
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gocars wrote:
Go and find a WWII vet and say thanks for his or her sacrifices.

That is always time well spent, especially if you can find one, and a bonus if you can get them to spin a few of their tales.

I bumped into a WW-II vet at a doughnut shop in Concord, California a few years back. He was ahead of me in line. As he opened up a handful of change to pay the cashier, I spotted what looked like a very old 50-cent piece with a large round dent in it. At that moment, I didn't know he was a war veteran, when I asked him about that coin. He told me had been carrying it in his pocket during the campaigns to clear the Japanese out of the Philippines. He said a Jap sniper shot him, and the bullet struck him in the leg, nearly dead center on the coin in his pocket. Knowing Japanese small arms, I was thinking to myself, I don't think that could have been the 7.7mm, so I asked him about that. He said the shot that hit him was from a 7.7 mm Arisaka, not the 6.5mm Arisaka. I asked him how he knew, and he said he could tell, because he had heard the crack of the sniper's rifle. Some things don't change much, so it's the same as hearing shots fired from an M-16 versus rounds out of an AK-47. This old vet told me his whole leg turned black and blue from the crotch to the shin.

Did Jane Fonda help the North Vietnamese communists?
http://vikingphoenix.com/politics/polls/jfondapoll-1.htm
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What with the 60th Anniversary of the war ending fast closing on us, I found a site that is loaded with information about it all. Click on the link below and explore the site, videos of old newsreels and a lot of facts about the overall war.

WW2 60th Anniversary
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: