SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Here's some proof that God likes Marines best.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lthrneck
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 12:48 pm    Post subject: Here's some proof that God likes Marines best. Reply with quote

A man decided to write a book about famous churches around the military.
He bought a plane ticket to NAS Jacksonville. On his first day he was inside the Base Chapel taking photographs when he noticed a golden telephone mounted on the wall above a sign that read "$10,000 per call." The man, being intrigued, asked a Sailor who was strolling by what the telephone was used for. The Sailor replied that it was a direct line to heaven and that for $10,000 you could talk to God. The man thanked the Sailor and went on his way. Next, he stopped at Andrews Air Force Base in Washington, DC. There, at a very large Chapel, he saw the same golden telephone with the same sign under it. He asked a nearby Airman what this phone's purpose was. She told him that it was a direct line to heaven and that for $10,000 he could talk to God. "O.K., thank you," said the man, and left. He then traveled to Ft. Leonard Wood, MO, Wright Patterson AFB, OH, and Norfolk, VA. In every chapel he saw the same golden telephone with the same "$10,000 per call" sign under it. Upon leaving Norfolk, he decided to travel to Parris Island, SC to see if he would find the same phone. He arrived at the Marine recruit depot and while waiting to visit the base chapel, he was invited into the SNCO Club. There was the same golden telephone. This time, however, the sign under it read "40 cents per call." The man was surprised. Just then, an old Marine Gunnery Sergeant walked in and he asked about the sign. "Excuse me Gunnery Sergeant, I've traveled all over America and I've seen this same golden telephone in many chapels on many different military installations. I'm told that it is a direct line to Heaven, but in the Navy, the Army, the Air Force, and even other parts of the U.S., the price was $10,000 per call. Why is it so cheap here?" The Gunnery Sergeant smiled and answered, "You're in the Marine Corps Staff NCO Club now son, it's a local call."
Now don't you doggies and swabbies go changing this joke around.
Laughing

Semper fi
uuurah
Carry On!!
Lance Corporal

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL x 2

Very Happy Very Happy
mtboone
Founder

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I told my Marine son, you may now how to fight, but it takes the Navy to direct and take you to the fight. That is why the Marines are a division of the Navy. Anchors Aweigh!
gocars
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey lthrneck!

Ditto: LOL x 2!

How did your cross-country trip to Georgia turn out?

gocars
101st Airborne
'Nam 67-70
U.S. Army Rangers Lead the Way!
GoophyDog
PO1

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's some proof that God likes Marines best. Reply with quote

lthrneck wrote:
Laughing

Shoot, don't need to. Most Coasties simply pick up their calling card along with their libery card Smile
lthrneck
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Goophy, not bad for a Coastie. Wink
Go
Cross country went well, no problems. I wouldn't want to do it for a living. Driving though Texas takes forever, senery sucks on the lower route along 10, like going from LA to Vegas. Had dog with me, never once asked when are we going to get there. Kids and wife flew. Still up to our a$$ in boxes, wife doesn't know I'm down in basement playing on computer instead of unpacking....

Semper fi
uuurah
Carry On!!
gocars
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lthrneck-

Told 'ya it takes forever to get across the great State of Texas! Laughing

I'm glad you and your family are finally getting settled in.

gocars
101st Airborne
'Nam 67-70
baldeagle
PO2

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lthrneck,
1st. toldja shoulda taken I-20 @ Kerrville, shorter distance and better scenary and straight shot to atlanta, sides you would have passed within 10 miles of my house in east Texas. Coulda been talked into buying lunch.
2nd. re. the phone call........we have hot lines in the CPO Clubs, you guys in the Staff NCO Clubs have to pay?
"In a word, I want an American character, that the powers of Europe may be convinced we act for ourselves and not for others; this, in my judgment, is the only way to be respected abroad and happy at home." --George Washington
Snipe
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2nd. re. the phone call........we have hot lines in the CPO Clubs, you guys in the Staff NCO Clubs have to [b]pay

Heh. Yabut, most of those phone calls on the CPO phone are incoming.

(^_^)
lthrneck
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe, well I gotta admit I never made it past Corporal so I never saw the inside of a CPO or S/NCO club.
I took I-20, I got into Shirevport (sp?) Louisana around 2am in the morning so I admit I didn't see a whole lot of Texas east of Dallas. It's just one big ass state. I drove Calif from LA to Oregon last year I think that may of been shorter.

Semper fi
uuurah
Carry On!!
baldeagle
PO2

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lthrneck wrote:
hehe, well I gotta admit I never made it past Corporal so I never saw the inside of a CPO or S/NCO club.
I took I-20, I got into Shirevport (sp?) Louisana around 2am in the morning so I admit I didn't see a whole lot of Texas east of Dallas. It's just one big a** state. I drove Calif from LA to Oregon last year I think that may of been shorter.

Yeah, its a long way across. actually, staying on I-10, its further from El Paso to Orange, near the Louisiana border, than it is from El Paso to Los Angeles or from Orange to Jacksonville, Fl.
And on I-20, you missed the best scenery between Dallas and Shreveport. From Shreveport it is pretty monotonous till you cross the Mississippi at Vicksburg, just flat as a billiard table farm land. From Vicksburg on east though it gets nice and green and forrested and rolling hills again eastbound. Hope you had a nice, uneventful trip and that you enjoy the southern style of living and the conservative politics in your new home.
"In a word, I want an American character, that the powers of Europe may be convinced we act for ourselves and not for others; this, in my judgment, is the only way to be respected abroad and happy at home." --George Washington
Snipe

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back from chow. Bumper sticker on the back of a
pickup truck:

U.S. Marines - Travel Agents to Allah.

Twisted Evil
lthrneck
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snipe I hope you high fived him.
Bald after a shave and a wakeup call I headed out to Atlanta from Shreveport, great ride from there on into Atlanta, very nice country. Crossing the Mississippi was something else. I wished I had time to stop and visit the battlefield there but I'll do that latter on this summer. I'm really starting to like it down here, I counted about 100 to 2 Bush vs Kerry bumper stickers. The people are super friendly and very helpful. My son enrolled for the last few weeks of school and said the kids are great, unlike LA area where everyone has to make a fashion statement most of the kids here are in jeans and tennis shoes. I think this is gonna play out to be a good move.

Semper fi
uuurah
Carry On!!
Snipe

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy Atlanta Lthrneck. I went through there in February to attend
my #3 Son-In-Law's graduation from Infantry Training at Ft Benning.
After spending most of my life in SoCal (1945 - 1979) I took a twilight
cruise from NAS Pt. Mugu (OLF San Nicholas Island) to Navy Recruiting
District Peoria. I never looked back. I got to put my kids in decent
schools and now they are all married off and scattered out, but NONE
in California. I can't stand to go there anymore. They paved everything
that was neat about the place.

Sad
gocars
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lthrneck-

Glad you and your family like the area - Gwinnett County is a real nice place and I kinda' wish I still lived there! I really miss the trees and grass.

Snipe-

Great bumper sticker! Hopefully Abu Musab al-Zarqawi has met Allah courtesy of the U.S. military.

gocars
101st Airborne
'Nam 67-70
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: