SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Was Kerry's 1978 Honorable Discharge Altered?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm not mistaken, you'd get the same kind of attributes for a document if you used Paint Shop Pro or MS Paint as the scanner for your document, so the Photoshop attributes listed may not indicate anything, at least not yet.

Try making a pdf file from a document scanned with Photoshop and see what happens. I don't have Photoshop any more, but I do have Acrobat and its distiller function if I can help.
Essayons
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have posted an update that comes very close to replicating Kerry’s 1978 discharge:

http://15thengineer.50megs.com/kerry_1.htm

There have been PMs and posts stating that I should contact Hannity but I want to make sure that there is agreement that what I have produced is acceptable to you all before I make waves. I was not able to produce an overlay – I do not remember how to do it.

I will e-mail anyone who knows how to do an overlay my latest version of the Kerry discharge document. It will not be an absolute 1 to 1 match but it should scare the sheet out of Kerry.

Kerry has stated that he has signed a DD180. Hey, it can be done online! And it would save him finding an envelope and stamp.

Will the BS never end?

Regards,
Dick
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly not my area of expertise, but can it be done using .gif and transparency? NNN?
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the overlay would be made with a transparent gif or a png - the gif will produce a smaller file size.

You'd then copy the transparent gif and paste as a transparent layer over the top of the original.

To make the differences and similarities stand out, I think you'd want to use a vivid color font in the transparency?
Essayons
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I have the replicated Kerry document in MS Word.

Tell me how to go from that to a .gif transparency.

Regards,
Dick
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

? Transparent in GIF looks magenta on the extended pallette and you'ld use it for the white background.

Recommend a different format. PhotoShop masques allow a variety of overlays. Alternately put text in a contrasting color and and turn down the 'opacity'

-Wlm Shakespeare
Essayons
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh? I am a degreed engineer and I have no idea what the he!! you are all talking about.

I have a document in MS Word. Tell me step by step how to convert it to a transperant .gif.

Maybe GenrXr can help with his gaming knowledge. Me#1 don't hesitate to throw in your knowledge - as you know it can be done.

Simple problem folks - MS Word document - how to create a .gif with a transparent background from it.

Simple problem so many say but who can provide the answer?

RESULTS are preferred.

Regards,
Dick

Regards,
Dick
SBD
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is from an old post with the example of using Photoshop and the Official Record Copy.

I have found something interesting in John Kerry's "Official Record Copy" documents. There are about 6 PDF's that have "file://D:/viewDocument.html" dated 3-10-2004. This means that the document was created from a web browser and the viewDocument.html page.

If the document was from an actual original, there is no reason to put it into an HTML page to convert it to a PDF. The "file://D:/viewDocument.html" shows up because whoever made the document did not remove the Header and Footer settings located under file-->Page Setup in Internet Explorer.

Link to Pages in Question.
http://www.swiftboatarchives.com/docfile/JohnKerryMilitaryRecords-1.pdf
http://www.swiftboatarchives.com/docfile/JohnKerryMilitaryRecords-2.pdf

It's possible that they used a background image for transparency purposes that had the "Official Record Copy".
I made one of the CBS docs using this background as an illustration.
Here is the HTML page
http://www.swiftboatarchives.com/DocumentView.html

Here is the PDF produced
http://www.swiftboatarchives.com/DocumentPages.pdf

I would be interested to know if anyone can explain the reason for the HTML to PDF conversion.

SBD
SBD
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's this one, can you tell which is the real one and which is the fake??

http://www.swiftboatarchives.com/kerrydischargecompare.jpg
note: Image replaced with link to avoid excessive horizontal scroll/Me#1

SBD
SBD
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, here is the original with Times New Roman PS MT font from Photoshop on top of the original text.

Here is a PDF
http://66.135.39.97/discharge2.pdf

SBD
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SBD...

The jpg doesn't do this justice but the pdf magnifies extremely well. Now, to this untrained eye it still doesn't quite match up font-wise eg. the number 6 nor does, I think, the kerning? (and does that matter?)

For the benefit of all, what, exactly, are we looking for here? What standard are we using to determine whether there is cause for legitimate pursuit of this issue? IOW, at what point would a professional document analyzer say "hmmmm"? Or, considering the source and the issue, should ANY Kerry document proffered be suspect and subjected to authenticity analysis?
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me#1You#10 wrote:
SBD...

The jpg doesn't do this justice but the pdf magnifies extremely well. Now, to this untrained eye it still doesn't quite match up font-wise eg. the number 6 nor does, I think, the kerning? (and does that matter?)

I think that the differences might be accounted for by the version of the word processor (or even the operating system) used to try to replicate the original, so it is important, but I'm not a typologist, so just
how important, I wouldn't even hazard a guess.

Not an expert here - but I will say that the degree of alignment alone is VERY interesting and sure needs a closer look by an expert.

Quote:
Or, considering the source and the issue, should ANY Kerry document proffered be suspect and subjected to authenticity analysis?

Honestly, I think that's probably the best course of action - starting with documents such as this, which have such interesting (spelled s-u-s-p-e-c-t Wink )characteristics and moving on to every other document he's ever provided to the public. (Especially when they can be compared to the documents which were retrieved from the archives by Navy Wife and others, this could be a lot of fun.)

How to generate interest in these documents, though? The last thing we want to do is jump the gun and say, "We've got a smoking gun/Dan rATher here,"only to find out that there is a perfectly legitimate explanation for it. Credibility takes a nose dive, and that, we must avoid at all costs. Sad

Does anyone know someone who could compare and give a reasonably expert assessment? I think the powerblog was the original break on the Blather forgeries - they had contacts with experts - but, I'm old and the memory cells don't fire the way they used to - was it someone else?

IMO, there's certainly enough here to be worth a serious look, if anyone knows someone.

Essayons
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I stated in an earlier post, I believe there is a possibility that the text was generated in Photoshop and not MS Word. I chose to pursue the MS Word possibility.

I have taken MS Word as far as it will go. MS Word kerning was of no help as it only allows basic kerning of certain standard character combinations (i.e. “th” and some others).

Photoshop does allow for “optical” kerning which far exceeds the capability of MS Word. And Photoshop would allow for the insertion of foreign text characters such as the “6” mentioned by Me#1.

Unfortunately this is not the simple MS Word attempt that was made with the Dan Blather documents.

I am sure SBD is working the problem.

Regards,
Dick
Essayons
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To view some preliminary work I did in Photoshop please visit:

http://15thengineer.50megs.com/kerry_1.htm

The second thumbnail is an overlay of the Kerry document (red text over the original text) of selected text that I tried to replicate.

It is pretty much a 1 to 1 match - excluding the odd characters "C" and "6" which I have not tried to replicate.

What it proves, other than the fact that I can and will reproduce the entire document text, I do not know as I had to manipulate, at times, individual words of the text using kerning and tracking.

The capabilities of Photoshop are so powerful that I am not sure I would believe anything reproduced with Photoshop. That is why I stayed with MS Word early on - but it did not pan out.

Regards,
Dick
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navy_Navy_Navy wrote:

Does anyone know someone who could compare and give a reasonably expert assessment? I think the powerblog was the original break on the Blather forgeries - they had contacts with experts - but, I'm old and the memory cells don't fire the way they used to - was it someone else?

IMO, there's certainly enough here to be worth a serious look, if anyone knows someone.
re the Blather forgeries

The Origin of the Story
> Freerepublic > powerline > littlegreenfootballs > blogosphere
and our own ASPB got the ball rolling here

this post in ASPB’s thread gives a gives a link to one font expert/blogger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: