SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Was Kerry's 1978 Honorable Discharge Altered?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Essayons
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject: Was Kerry's 1978 Honorable Discharge Altered? Reply with quote

Please look at http://15thengineer.50megs.com/kerry.htm

I developed the same text that is in the body of Kerry's 1978 honorable discharge and superimposed it on the original document below the original text. The scaling is off a bit but it is really close.

I used Microsoft Word 2003 and had to do a lot of adjustments in MS Word to duplicate the original text in the Kerry document.

Regards,
Dick

Admin note: Moved to R&R/Me#1
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There sure are a lot of very close alignments when you compare the two of them. Just a hair off. Wow.

He couldn't have been that stupid, could he?

Shocked
Essayons
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navy-3

Kerry has been foisting his version of what has been “seared” into his memory for 35 years.

No, he did not ‘alter” the document – someone else did and it was a sophomoric effort that took me 4 hours to expose. I can now recreate the text in about 10 minutes. The adjustments made by the “author” were simplistic additions of “spaces” and compression/expansion of some of the text.

The document is supposedly from 1978 and the fact that I could almost (95% +) replicate it using MS Word 2003 (25 years later) should speak volumes.

What was available to the Navy for word processing or Selectric typewriters in 1978? Right justification? Possibly. That MS Word 2003 could produce almost identical text is impossible.

Regards,
Dick
mtboone
Founder

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that you should send it to Hannity and post it on other blogs to see how much traction and what others say. Let the dog run and see what he trees.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Essayons wrote:
The document is supposedly from 1978 and the fact that I could almost (95% +) replicate it using MS Word 2003 (25 years later) should speak volumes.

What was available to the Navy for word processing or Selectric typewriters in 1978? Right justification? Possibly. That MS Word 2003 could produce almost identical text is impossible.

For the benefit of us less informed, just what does "almost replicate" it imply? It seems to be a rather broad standard upon which base a claim of fraudulency.

Perhaps you're on to something, perhaps not. In the least you're going to need a superimposition (to scale) as was done with the CBS frauds.

Why not run this by those involved in uncovering the Ratherscam docs?
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dick,
This thread may be helpful.
Some powerlifters on this forum who did some of the research & analysis on the Bush Tang memos, in conjunction with some other forums/blogs. Should also have some of the resources /contacts they used.

TANG Memo on Bush ( 1004 posts)
http://www.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=63194#63194
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Already posted this to the 'Records Removed' thread:

The first Apple and the Z80 chip running CPM were availible in '78. It took considerable skill just to get them to talk to a printer forget about kerning and justification. For that you needed a Wang business system or OmniGraphic photo-typesetter which were dedicated 'minicomputers' costing several 10s of thousands and an education that cost almost as much to operate them. A decade later Brother typewriters with memory were common for inserting 'boilerplate' material but mine is still done on a non-justifing, fouled key typewriter with triplicate carbons.

-Wlm Shakespeare
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my thoughts on it:
This was NOT done on a word processor in 1978, they didn't exist.
We need to determine when this document was first made available, it could rule out some candidates (i.e if it first appeared in 2001, we can rule out MS2003, etc. as the source).
I still sy it's a fake, looking at the justification and the overlay of the two documents, it's obvious. The font used in the attempt to duplicate it is still not correct,.that's what we're seeing as differences. Once you get a match on the fonts, I'm betting you make a 100% point-for-point match with Kerry's "original".
My opinion, but I was a big supporter of the Rather fake, and we see how that turned out, eh? Documents this close are not coincidence. Typewriters were not nearly as precise as a word processor/printer, even top-of-the-line models that were new.
That leaves ruling out a "typeset" original, which I have no idea how to go about doing.

If all else fails, make Hillary Clinton's office aware of it, she would likely be VERY interested in having ammo like this against her (potential) opponent.
If there is a breakthrough and we come up with an incriminating case, try not to let it get out to the media/Kerry camp. Timing is important, if it was to hit the mainstream now, Kerry would have time to recover from the damage before he's up for re-election/another presidential run. The only exception to that would be information that would lead to his impeachment and removal from Congress.
Essayons
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two things that need to happen to get a 100% identical match.

First is the font:
I used the MS Word 2003 default Times New Roman (TrueType) when I entered the text. Surprising to me is that I got an almost 1 to 1 match with the first few lines of the Kerry text but nothing else lined up. I suspect that the font used in the Kerry document may be Times Roman which I do not have on my computer.

Second:
Once a font match is found then it is just a matter of time to add the additional spaces that were put in the original text and make selected Font/Character Spacing adjustments in Word.

The last adjustment I made was to change the word “promulgated” to “promul-gated” and the last line of paragraph 2 fell into place.

So, if anyone knows where I can find Times Roman font I will load it and see if it matches the original Kerry text.

Regards,
Dick
mtboone
Founder

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Word processing did exiest in 78, I serviced a Savin version in 73 and IBM had them out also but to what extent I do not remember their capapabilities.
FireFox
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to write papers using an editor and a program called runoff that would right justify off of a PDP-11. There were also terminals that were essentially IBM Selectrics that could talk to an IBM 360 and it wouldn't have been much work to use a program that would right-justify.

BTW, we're talking some serious money for these computers back then. Even for a relatively cheap PDP-11. The IBM 360 was many large cabinets worth of computer.
Essayons
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, there were fledgling word processors and software that ran on PDP-11s and IBM 360s available in 1978 that offered right justification. I’ll accept that as fact. Please let’s get off the “what word processor was available in 1978” and concentrate on helping me locate the correct font. I have done some searches and have not found what I need. I suspect the font is an earlier version of Times New Roman and possibly it is called Times Roman.

The number one focus is finding the font!

I would concede that the Kerry document might have been produced by one of the available word processing sources at the time except there is the issue of how I was able to recreate the Kerry text in MS Word 2003.

The issue is that any word processor that invokes right justification does so based on mathematical formulas and that means consistency in how it outputs the final text.

There was NO consistency in my going from typing the Kerry text into MS Word and what I was able to finally produce. I would step all of you through the various adjustments I had to make but it would put you to sleep – boring. And besides, I would have to show 30 or more iterations of the text as I developed it – skipping, of course, the failed attempts.

A synopsis of what I did should help so here goes: The initial input showed the first few lines gave (barring the slight difference in font) a 1 to 1 correspondence through the first line of paragraph 1. Everything beyond that first line of paragraph 1 did not match the placement of the original Kerry document text.

Looking at the Kerry text, I started adding some “spaces” (hit the space bar) in MS Word where it looked appropriate and I had some success in aligning a few of the words/lines but adding “spaces” did not solve the problem.

Highlighting selected text (by looking at the Kerry document) and using MS Word’s Font – Character Spacing I was able to align most of the remaining text to match the Kerry text. This was trial and error and did take a lot of time. It was applied inconsistently to selected text and I used both Expansion and Compression to get the final results. Adding the hyphen to the word “promulgate”, i.e. “promul-gate”, resulted in what I posted.

In summary, it is now my belief that the text in Kerry’s 1978 honorable discharge document was developed using MS Word by adding random “spaces” and Font – Character Spacing adjustments to throw anyone off track who tried to reproduce the text in MS Word.

As a last thought, the Kerry document shows Encl: (1) Honorable Discharge Certificate. That would be his 1978 DD256A Honorable Discharge. Has anyone ever seen this posted? Kerry posted his enlisted DD256A he received in 1966 when he accepted his commission as an officer. Why not his 1978 DD256A?

Regards,
Dick
Harvuskong
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Times_Roman

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Times Roman is a body text, serifed typeface. It is Linotype's licensed version of Monotype's Times New Roman typeface. Times (New) Roman is sometimes said to be based on an older design called Plantin. The design was originally produced by Monotype for the Times of London, around 1929-32. Its readability and economical use of space caused it to be used extensively in American newspapers during World War II to save paper. A digital version of Times Roman was implemented by Adobe Systems in the first Postscript interpreters (also in laser printers), thus making the typeface common. When versions were later used as a system font on both Windows and Mac OS, it became ubiquitous.

The differences between Times Roman and Times New Roman PS are mostly a trademark issue. Although there are subtle stylistic differences, they are invisible in body text at normal reading distances. Although there was a time when Times New Roman had different widths than Times Roman, when Microsoft licensed Times New Roman for Windows, they asked Monotype to match the Adobe/Linotype widths from the PostScript font. So the most common versions seen today have identical widths in common characters.

Microsoft Windows computers feature Monotype's Times New Roman PS while Mac computers have Linotype's Times Roman (simply named ‘Times’). Computers running Open Source operating sytems generally have URW's Nimbus Roman No9 L, which is URW's PostScript version of Times Roman, placed into the public domain.

In digital font systems, Times [New] Roman is usually the first font coded, and the font most often examined to determine the quality of the font system. Therefore, software designers and commercial organizations take particular care with it.

http://www.linotype.com/?PHPSESSID=8e87b1b017bea8e33404d22c163d91cf

The link below will take you to the Linotype main web page. I used the Font Finder (Shop) link to search for Times Roman font.

http://www.linotype.com/advancedsearch.html

The link below is from myfonts dot com website. It should have the information for several variations of the Times Roman font and with purchase information.

http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/linotype/times/roman/

I found all of this stuff plus a bunch more by using the Yahoo Search Engine.

I think that you have a good starting point here for the Times Roman font information that you need.
Essayons
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvuskong: Thanks for the input. I had visited the sites you mention prior to your post and had no luck but you did same me some time as I read through your post and got an idea.

An update:

The good news: The text font in the Kerry document IS Times New Roman (11pt). The initial reason I believed it was a variant of Times New Roman was due to the extent of the character/word/selected-text manipulation done to the original text along with the "Blurring" and other adjustments that were done in Photoshop.

The bad news - because for me it means lots of work: It is possible that the Kerry document was entirely done in Photoshop and is not a combination of MS Word and Photoshop. This, combined with the randomness of the added spaces and text manipulations, will take time to unravel. It is a reverse engineering problem: the input is now known and the output (Kerry document) is known - just gotta figure out what is was in the "Black Box" that links the two.

Hopefully, by this evening, I will have a really close match, and if so, I will post an overlay. For those who question other than a 100% match - forget about that happening. I doubt the original author could reproduce a 100% match unless (s)he recorded every ketstroke used to manipulate the document.

Wish me luck.

Regards,
Dick
SBD
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the PDF doc properties.

<?xpacket begin='' id='W5M0MpCehiHzreSzNTczkc9d'?><x:xmpmeta xmlns:x='adobe:ns:meta/' x:xmptk='XMP toolkit 3.0.1-30, framework 1.6'>
<rdf:RDF xmlns:rdf='http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#' xmlns:iX='http://ns.adobe.com/iX/1.0/'>

<rdf:Description rdf:about=''
xmlns:pdf='http://ns.adobe.com/pdf/1.3/'>
<pdf:Producer>Acrobat Distiller 5.0.5 (Windows)</pdf:Producer>
</rdf:Description>

xmlns:photoshop='http://ns.adobe.com/photoshop/1.0/'>

xmlns:tiff='http://ns.adobe.com/tiff/1.0/'>

xmlns:xap='http://ns.adobe.com/xap/1.0/'>
<xap:CreateDate>2004-06-16T02:55:20Z</xap:CreateDate>
<xap:ModifyDate>2005-05-18T22:16:28-07:00</xap:ModifyDate>
<xap:MetadataDate>2005-05-18T22:16:28-07:00</xap:MetadataDate>
<xap:CreatorTool>PScript5.dll Version 5.2</xap:CreatorTool>

xmlns:xapMM='http://ns.adobe.com/xap/1.0/mm/'>
<xapMM:DocumentID>uuid:855f017f-b9bd-4c50-8284-76de7a918f10</xapMM:DocumentID>
<xapMM:InstanceID>uuid:2cb008e2-4561-42f7-8132-cfb8f691f590</xapMM:InstanceID>

xmlns:dc='http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/'>
<dc:format>application/pdf</dc:format>
<dc:title>
<rdf:Alt>
<rdf:li xml:lang='x-default'>Corel Office Document</rdf:li>
</rdf:Alt>
</dc:title>
<dc:creator>
<rdf:Seq>
<rdf:li>Brion</rdf:li>
</rdf:Seq>
</dc:creator>

</rdf:RDF>
</x:xmpmeta>
<?xpacket end='r'?>
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: