SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Was Kerry's 1978 Honorable Discharge Altered?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Essayons
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kate and all:

I need more time before going to "experts" to correlate what I now believe believe is the MS Word source for the "boiler plate" of the Kerry honorable discharge that was posted on Kerry's web page.

It is understandable that my progress has been confusing but reverse engineering is NOT a science. It is a hunt and peck approach that leads down many false paths. Tenacity is the key.

Today I did an overlay (red text over the original document)of the Kerry document.

You can view it at: http://15thengineer.50megs.com/kerry_1.htm Click on the third thumbnail.

There are some problems I need to overcome to prove my case that MS Word was the source document and that manipulating the MS Word text in Photoshop produced the final Kerry document that he posted on his web site.

Regards,
Dick
Harvuskong
Seaman

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that part of the answer to this discharge is the blacked out strip in the upper right corner of the document.

Why was it necessary for it to be blacked out??

After 25+ years, why would it need to be blacked out??

Word Information

After doing a bit of digging into Word, I have found that the docs can be saved as Web Page, Web Page filtered or Web Archive.

Perhaps that is part of how the text was manipulated.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Essayons wrote:
It is understandable that my progress has been confusing but reverse engineering is NOT a science.

No, it sure isn't - especially for someone who isn't an expert in typology - it's more like groping in the dark.... at least for me, it is. I know what you mean about the endless false paths and "try this." No, try that.

But, dannnnnng..... looking at the latest incarnation, your hunting-pecking trial-error system sure seems to be yielding fruit.

Now, the next big question - are the results evident because word processing is so advanced that we can replicate old documents with precision and authenticity or are we looking at an attempt to replicate an old document that has left "unfortunate accidents" of a modern word processor in its traces?

I can't help but think of the contemporary document of the exact same type that has no justification.

I wonder if that document could be replicated, as well? (It being a known authentic, right?) I haven't even tried - if only I had TIME, right now, I would dig into that and see if it can be done.

Hang in there - I have the feeling that your brand of tenacity is going to settle it one way or the other.
dcornutt
PO3

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The numerics are different. Take a look at the 6. The top of the 6 in the oriignal document has a small serif (dollop) on it. Yours does not.

Probably a different version of the font.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvuskong wrote:

Perhaps that is part of how the text was manipulated.

Admin note: Harvus and all interested parties

A gentle reminder, if you please. This is an exercise in looking at a document to determine IF there may be cause to question authenticity. Let's be careful to avoid making unsupported allegations in these deliberations.

Thanks/Me#1
SBD
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have a perfect match. Any areas that might be off are most likely due to being too tired to fix the spacing. I read a post from someone who was commenting on the Rather Docs and she said that the font looked more like Bookman Old Style, so I decided to give it a shot. What I found was a perfect fit, as I typed, the letters just started matching.

http://www.swiftboatarchives.com/hondisres.pdf

SBD
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong, I've been bragging about this to the usual sites but, what have we proved? We can replicate? or That Kerry forged?

-Wlm Shakespeare
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SBD wrote:
I think I have a perfect match. Any areas that might be off are most likely due to being too tired to fix the spacing. I read a post from someone who was commenting on the Rather Docs and she said that the font looked more like Bookman Old Style, so I decided to give it a shot. What I found was a perfect fit, as I typed, the letters just started matching.

SBD...it looks close, but the number zero, for one, looks very different to me.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible that the Bookman Old Style might be the font used, but if you take a look at the original, you can almost cut butter with the straight edge down the right side of the text block - so you might need to do the same kind of tweaking as Essayons is doing in order to get that very clear straight edge.

Good luck!
Essayons
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SBD-

You sure got my hopes up early this morning.

When I got back this afternoon I did a comparison of fonts with the original text and unfortunately there is no match.

While I do not have the time now to show the proof of what I am saying I will produce it either late tonight - which I doubt - or tomorrow. Basically the problem is with a number of font letters not matching and the numbers 2, 3 and 6 are not even close.

I sent you some of my documents as you requested but I have not heard back from you. Obviously you know how to produce a .gif text transparency and I would appreciate it if you would help me in that area.

Time to go, t'storm on the way.

Regards,
Dick
Harvuskong
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just some questions here.

What computer systems are you using??

Windows 95? to ??????

Mac

Linux

Red Hat

Which word processor system and etc. Word, Notepad, Wordpad and/or etc??

Could any of the above have enough differences in fonts licensed to the many different operating systems and applications to have some display differences??

I think that one would to consider that fact a Mac could be the answer to completing this research project.
Essayons
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvuskong-

The t'storms are over.

I run two computers. A 2 GHz Dell 8500 laptop and a 2.8GHz Dell desktop. Both connected by a 100Mb Ethernet crossover cable. Both are connected to the Internet via broadband – the 8500 is connected via a Linksys wireless at 54Mbs.

While I have built my own personal computers since 1996 and have been involved with computers since 1962 I still consider myself a novice.

My oldest son is the technical director for the largest school district in Pennsylvania and is a converted Win/Intel to Apple aficionado. I still think he is full of sheet and tell him so. I will agree that Apples OS 10 is a major step forward and is a solid operating system.

I have used Adobe Photoshop since version 4. Currently I have Photoshop CS and CS2 mounted my two computers (CS on the 8500 and CS2 on the desktop).

I use MS Word 2003, Access and other MS Office products.

I run a large web site for my 15th Engineer Vietnam compatriots using MS Front Page using Front Page Extensions – over 130 pages and 70 MB in size. Go to: http://15thengineer.50megs.com/

Adobe’s recent CS2 release is about equal in functionality in its release on the Win/Intel and Apple platforms.

20 years ago I wrote a “white paper” that was panned by almost everyone in the computer industry. I stated that Unix (today’s Linux and Red Hat, etc,) would NOT be the dominant operating system of the future.

Today, I stand by my prediction of 20 years ago.

And your question was?

Do your homework and do not ask questions without rearching the issue you propose.

Regards,
Dick
Harvuskong
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Essayons,

Did not know exactly what your background was. Nor was I attempting to make any negative statement on your expertise.

I know that I sure am not an computer expert.

Looking over my previous post, which was done with a lot of holiday company around, I realize that I should done it a bit differently or at least saved it in Word and edited it later.

But any way, I have noticed on some newspaper's websites, there are several oddities in the looks of the webpages and text leads me to believe that they are done with Macs and/or other than MS systems. Which made me think of the Mac and/or other non MS systems as an option.

I am sorry to have caused you any anger or problems.

Now as to the discharge itself, after looking over again for the fourth or more time, I have just formed another opinion or theory on it.

As I have said, I am not a military person. I have in years past seen a lot of things used in various business and govt offices with regards to documents.

Is it possibe that the discharge could be a standard pre-printed form with the logo and a standard text body with blank spaces left for a clerk using a typewriter or a system with a daisy wheel printer to fill in the blank lines??

I have also noticed in the lower left corner, that the copy was part 4.

I also found that the lower right corner across from the big black arrow, the notice that it was for the officer's jacket.

I finally realized upon seeing the above 2 items, why the two lines in the upper right corner just under the big blacked out spot and also after the two lines, titled To: and Via: on the left side and the two lines on the lower right side under the text body are so hard to read, they could be the result of typing through 3 carbons.

I have also noticed that top and bottom edges of the discharge have the look of perforations. I still use impact printers some, so I think that it just has to be perforations on the upper and lower edges of the discharge.

Also on the lower lefthand corner there is what I think is an sort of an document identification tag just above the part 4 id. If I am reading it right, it is NAVPERS 1926/2 (Rev. 3-77). I think that means that the form was revised March of 1977. NAVPERS has to be Navy or Naval Personnel.

Well, where are parts 1, 2 & 3?? Probadly some where deep inside a huge storage building or buildings.

Well, I think that probadly NAVPERS 1926/2 (Rev. 3-77) was printed in the hundreds of thousands.

Does anyone have a NAVPERS 1926/2 (Rev. 3-77) document of their own that we could look at??

It would be interesting to see what a non-Kerry NAVPERS 1926/2 (Rev. 3-77) form looks like for a comparsion check against Kerry's NAVPERS 1926/2 (Rev. 3-77) document.

I would really like to know just what would be in the blacked out block in the upper right corner of Kerry's NAVPERS 1926/2 (Rev. 3-77) document. Why did some one feel the need to black it out???
SBD
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking for NAVPERS 1926/2 (Rev. 3-77) but haven't found it yet. It would definately save all of us some time since the document would have to be an exact match or it would be exposed as a fraud outright.

Essayons, can you send me a note that says exactly what you want me to make. I will send it right along as soon as I get a better understanding of what you need.

FYI, I was opening the PDF files in Photoshop and typing over the letters right in Photoshop without using Word at all for the examples.

SBD
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been following this thread but since I am a total novice, not computer savvy, I didn't jump in. However, my over-riding thought was "Why do they think this is forged?"
Like Harvuskong, I too noticed the "copy 4" and perforation lines and thought the document looked like a a four part standard form, with the individual's identification TYPED in.
However, I figured you guys are more expert about recreating documents.

The question in my mind was "Why would Kerry forge THIS document, and put it on his website". It would seem to me, that if he were to forge a document he would have altered the 1972 "dishonorable discharge document" to "honorable", and put that up on his site, instead of this "board of review" document that would raise questions.
READ LIPSCOMB'S ARTICLE::
Quote:
Mystery Surrounds Kerry's Navy Discharge
BY THOMAS LIPSCOMB
October 13, 2004

An official Navy document on Senator Kerry's campaign Web site listed as Mr. Kerry's "Honorable Discharge from the Reserves" opens a door on a well kept secret about his military service.

The document is a form cover letter in the name of the Carter administration's secretary of the Navy, W. Graham Claytor. It describes Mr. Kerry's discharge as being subsequent to the review of "a board of officers." This in it self is unusual. There is nothing about an ordinary honorable discharge action in the Navy that requires a review by a board of officers.

According to the secretary of the Navy's document, the "authority of reference" this board was using in considering Mr. Kerry's record was "Title 10, U.S. Code Section 1162 and 1163. "This section refers to the grounds for involuntary separation from the service. What was being reviewed, then, was Mr. Kerry's involuntary separation from the service. And it couldn't have been an honorable discharge, or there would have been no point in any review at all. The review was likely held to improve Mr. Kerry's status of discharge from a less than honorable discharge to an honorable discharge.

A Kerry campaign spokesman, David Wade, was asked whether Mr. Kerry had ever been a victim of an attempt to deny him an honorable discharge. There has been no response to that inquiry. (Of course, they can't lie on the record, because the truth may come out.)

The document is dated February 16, 1978. But Mr. Kerry's military commitment began with his six-year enlistment contract with the Navy on February 18, 1966. His commitment should have terminated in 1972. It is highly unlikely that either the man who at that time was a Vietnam Veterans Against the War leader, John Kerry, requested or the Navy accepted an additional six year reserve commitment. And the Claytor document indicates proceedings to reverse a less than honorable discharge that took place sometime prior to February 1978.

The most routine time for Mr. Kerry's discharge would have been at the end of his six-year obligation, in 1972. But how was it most likely to have come about?

The Nixon administration ran FBI surveillance on Mr. Kerry from September 1970 until August 1972. Finding grounds for an other than honorable discharge, however, for a leader of the Vietnam Veterans Against the War, given his numerous activities while still a reserve officer of the Navy, was easier than finding "dirt."

For example, while America was still at war, Mr. Kerry had met with the North Vietnamese and Viet Cong delegation to the Paris Peace talks in May 1970 and then held a demonstration in July 1971 in Washington to try to get Congress to accept the enemy's seven point peace proposal without a single change. Woodrow Wilson threw Eugene Debs, a former presidential candidate, in prison just for demonstrating for peace negotiations with Germany during World War I. No court overturned his imprisonment. He had to receive a pardon from President Harding.

The "board of officers" review reported in the Claytor document is even more extraordinary because it came about "by direction of the President." No normal honorable discharge requires the direction of the president. The president at that time was James Carter. This adds another twist to the story of Mr. Kerry's hidden military records.

Mr. Carter's first act as president was a general amnesty for draft dodgers and other war protesters. Less than an hour after his inauguration on January 21, 1977, while still in the Capitol building, Mr. Carter signed Executive Order 4483 empowering it. By the time it became a directive from the Defense Department in March 1977 it had been expanded to include other offenders who may have had general, bad conduct, dishonorable discharges, and any other discharge or sentence with negative effect on military records. In those cases the directive outlined a procedure for appeal on a case by case basis before a board of officers. A satisfactory appeal would result in an improvement of discharge status or an honorable discharge.

Mr. Kerry has repeatedly refused to sign Standard Form 180, which would allow the release of all his military records. And some of his various spokesmen have claimed that all his records are already posted on his Web site. But the Washington Post already noted that the Naval Personnel Office admitted that they were still withholding about 100 pages of files.

There are a number of categories of discharges besides honorable. There are general discharges, medical discharges, bad conduct discharges, as well as other than honorable and dishonorable discharges. There is one odd coincidence that gives some weight to the possibility that Mr. Kerry was dishonorably discharged. Mr. Kerry has claimed that he lost his medal certificates and that is why he asked that they be reissued. But when a dishonorable discharge is issued, all pay benefits, and allowances, and all medals and honors are revoked as well. And five months after Mr. Kerry joined the U.S. Senate in 1985, on one single day, June 4, all of Mr. Kerry's medals were reissued.

http://www.nysun.com/article/3107

I think Kerry had no choice but to put the "amnesty" discharge
up, because it was the only 'Honorable" discharge he had.

My question now is, since he has signed the 180, does that mean he has
had the 1972 "dishonorable" discharge TOTALLY EXPUNGED from his records?
Or maybe it was EXPUNGED in 1978 under Carter's executive order.

Does anyone know what the January,1977 Presidential Executive Order 4483 said
about this??? Or maybe the Defense Department Directive??(March,1977)
Did it authorize EXPUNGING the Dishonorable from the record. If so,
the only discharge Kerry has is the "board of review" discharge.
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: