SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another U.S. Soldier Acquitted

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 1:42 am    Post subject: Another U.S. Soldier Acquitted Reply with quote

U.S. Soldier Acquitted in Iraqi's Death
By ANGELA K. BROWN
Associated Press Writer

FORT HOOD, Texas - An Army staff sergeant was acquitted of murder Thursday in the death of an unarmed Iraqi he said he shot to save a fellow soldier.
A jury of four soldiers and two officers deliberated for less than three hours before finding Staff Sgt. Shane Werst not guilty of premeditated murder. He had faced a maximum of life in prison without parole.

Before the jury announced the verdict, the judge, Col. Theodore Dixon, found Werst not guilty of obstruction of justice. Dixon said he decided to rule on that count, but did not give an explanation.

Werst's family shrieked, cried and hugged after the verdict was read.

"Soldiers have to be able to know that they're not being second-guessed in the battlefield and in close-quarters combat," defense attorney David Sheldon said.

Prosecutors said the killing of Naser Ismail, a suspected insurgent, was in retaliation for an Army captain's death earlier that day. Werst, 32, said he only shot Ismail because he was lunging for an unsuspecting soldier's weapon during house raids in Iraq.

Werst testified Thursday that he doesn't regret gunning down Ismail, but admitted his actions afterward in making the slaying look like self-defense were wrong.

"I would still to this day fire on that man, sir," said Werst.

Werst said he and a fellow soldier went into a house with Ismail because he thought the Iraqi would turn over more weapons.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Soldiers have to be able to know that they're not being second-guessed in the battlefield and in close-quarters combat," defense attorney David Sheldon said.

AMEN! Thank heavens!

This isn't rocket science, is it? Or have I missed something?

How in hell have we gone so wrong that we are now prosecuting men right and left for making war on the enemy? Sad
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navy_Navy_Navy said
Quote:
How in hell have we gone so wrong that we are now prosecuting men right and left for making war on the enemy?

Good question, EJ.

With the rash of murder charges being brought against our soldiers, I am concerned about the effect this has on the psyche of men when caught in a situation requiring that split-second decision.

Do all these prosecutions cause a moment of doubt, resulting in them hesitating a few seconds too long, and causing their own death or the death of a fellow soldier???

I really question if this HAS happened or WILL happen!
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shawa wrote:
Do all these prosecutions cause a moment of doubt, resulting in them hesitating a few seconds too long, and causing their own death or the death of a fellow soldier???

I guess the only thing we can do is support the civil rights of those who are prosecuted to the best of our ability and pray, pray, pray that the prosecutions are NOT interfering with the soldiers' ability to engage in combat.

Just the possibility of losing someone to a hesitancy because of these bullsnit harrassment prosecutions makes me sick to my stomach.

I hope that this trial and the trial of LT Pantano made a big impression on whatever brass might be pushing for these unjust charges - are they trying to appease the media or Amnesty International, or what?

Is this what our military has come to? Accusing the innocent of war crimes just to "prove" that the military is taking care of its own justice? Where the hell is the justice in THAT?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: