SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

American soldier tries to get Pepsi to answer a question!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SBD
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: American soldier tries to get Pepsi to answer a question!! Reply with quote

The Straight Story
An American soldier tries to get PepsiCo to answer a simple question.
by Scott Johnson
06/03/2005 12:00:00 AM

WHEN THE HARVARD-YALE FOOTBALL GAME was played in Cambridge last fall, Yale students pulled off one of the great college pranks of all time. During the game a fake Harvard pep squad wearing red and white face paint distributed 1,800 pieces of construction paper on seats covering the Harvard side of the stadium. When turned over in unison by the occupants of the seats, they were purportedly to spell out "Go Harvard." Instead, they spelled out "We suck." (See the Harvard Sucks website for the back story and multimedia presentations.)

The Columbia Business School MBA recognition ceremony took place at Madison Square Garden on May 15. Those in attendance might have been forgiven for wondering if they were the victims of a similarly inspired prank. The commencement speaker was PepsiCo president and chief financial officer Indra Nooyi. Nooyi's speech didn't rise to the level of sophomoric genius achieved by the Yale pranksters, but it was incredibly sophomoric.

In her speech, Ms. Nooyi likened the seven continents of the world to the five fingers of the hand. It was a funny start for the chief financial officer of a major American corporation, but she was just warming up:

This analogy of the five fingers as the five major continents leaves the long, middle finger for North America, and, in particular, The United States. As the longest of the fingers, it really stands out. The middle finger anchors every function that the hand performs and is the key to all of the fingers working together efficiently and effectively. This is a really good thing, and has given the U.S. a leg-up in global business since the end of World War I.

However, if used inappropriately--just like the U.S. itself--the middle finger can convey a negative message and get us in trouble. You know what I'm talking about. In fact, I suspect you're hoping that I'll demonstrate what I mean. And trust me, I'm not looking for volunteers to model.

Discretion being the better part of valor . . . I think I'll pass.

What is most crucial to my analogy of the five fingers as the five major continents, is that each of us in the U.S.--the long middle finger--must be careful that when we extend our arm in either a business or political sense, we take pains to assure we are giving a hand . . . not the finger. Sometimes this is very difficult. Because the U.S.--the middle finger--sticks out so much, we can send the wrong message unintentionally.

Unfortunately, I think this is how the rest of the world looks at the U.S. right now. Not as part of the hand--giving strength and purpose to the rest of the fingers--but, instead, scratching our nose and sending a far different signal.

At Power Line we first posted reports of the speech sent to us by audience members on May 17 and contacted PepsiCo vice president of external relations Elaine Palmer to ask for a copy of Ms. Nooyi's speech. At that time Palmer declined to release the text of the speech, but sent us the following message:
    Thank you for checking with us on Indra Nooyi's speech at Columbia. We saw the item on your blog and are shocked to see that you took Ms. Nooyi's comments to be anything but pro-American and supportive of the United States and its role as a global leader. The characterization of Ms. Nooyi's remarks could not be more off the mark. No one is prouder of the U.S. than Ms. Nooyi, who has elected to make this country her home. Ms. Nooyi was simply encouraging the U.S, and Americans to be all they can and should be, which is something we all strive towards.

In her remarks Ms. Nooyi stated:

"This analogy of the five fingers as the five major continents leaves the long, middle finger for North America, and, in particular, The United States. As the longest of the fingers, it really stands out. The middle finger anchors every function that the hand performs and is the key to all the fingers working together efficiently and effectively. This is a really good thing, and has given the U.S. a leg-up in global business since the end of World War 1 . . .

"This land we call home is a most-loving, and ever-giving nation -a 'promised land' that we love dearly in return. And it represents a true force that--if used for good--can steady the hand--along with global economies and cultures."

We encourage you to set the record straight and explain that Ms. Nooyi was talking to the students about the necessity of working together in the world.

Palmer's message adroitly omitted the most offensive elements of Ms. Nooyi's speech, but on May 18 PepsiCo released a statement from Nooyi together with the text of her speech. In her statement Nooyi wrote that her remarks had been "misconstrued."

PepsiCo subsequently issued an apology from Ms. Nooyi. In her apology Ms. Nooyi no longer blamed others for misconstruing her speech, but rather blamed herself for "unintentionally depict[ing] our country negatively and hurt[ing] people." Ms. Nooyi's apology reads:

Following my remarks to the graduating class of Columbia University's Business School in New York City, I have come to realize that my words and examples about America unintentionally depicted our country negatively and hurt people.

I appreciate the honest comments that have been shared with me since then, and am deeply sorry for offending anyone. I love America unshakably--without hesitation--and am extremely grateful for the opportunities and support our great nation has always provided me.

Over the years I've witnessed and advised others how a thoughtless gesture or comment can hurt good, caring people. Regrettably, I've proven my own point. Please accept my sincere apologies.

PERHAPS THE MOST ELOQUENT CRITIC of Nooyi's speech is "Major E." (as he asks to be identified), the military officer who wrote to Power Line from Camp Victory in Baghdad. Major E. sent us a copy of the message he had sent to PepsiCo:

I found Ms. Nooyi's graduation comments offensive, not to mention off-base, because the central theme of her speech was that America is, in essence, "flipping off the world."

I am in Iraq, and served previously in Afghanistan. Many Americans have given their lives to liberate those nations from tyranny. In that light, I offer a few examples of "fingers" in those places that might present Ms. Nooyi a more substantive representation of American presence abroad than a trivial story of a rude traveler.

For example, she could ride on a combat patrol here and use her fingers to return the waves that I see on every mission from some of the over 8 million Iraqis whose fingers were stained with purple ink following voting in the first democratic elections after decades of tyranny. She might notice her fingers moistened by sweat as she unconsciously gripped her armrest, noticing a tinge of fear from attack by a roadside bomb--the same fear felt by myself and every other American on Iraq's roads.

In Afghanistan, many children and parents stick their thumbs straight up when Americans pass, demonstrating gratefulness for no longer living under the Taliban. I drove by Kabul University a while back and saw two young girls using their fingers to carry the books that represent the freedom to pursue education now enjoyed by Afghan women.

Now, a question that begs an answer: Does Ms. Nooyi consider that freedom an example of America "giving the world the finger," or "giving the world a hand?"

In the meantime, I will stop consuming PepsiCo products and encourage others to do the same. Please remember, it is this country, and the brave men and women who defend it, that provided the free enterprise system that allowed your company to become a global corporate power. I would hope that Pepsi senior executives would show more respect for this great country. Perhaps the troops who enjoy your products would hope so as well.

I respectfully ask for a serious response, not the "promised land" public relations pabulum response offered on behalf of Ms. Nooyi. Please mail it to my address here in Baghdad.

Major E. first received a form response from PepsiCo public relations. He responded:

Thank you for the email form letter response to the letter that I submitted. I am disappointed that you did not answer the single question that was posed.

In her apology, Ms. Nooyi admits making a "thoughtless comment," but the fact is that this was a prepared speech that had a carefully-crafted theme about America's role in the world, with an extended metaphor of the fingers. These were not spontaneous remarks, which is the main cause of my concern. The underlying values indicated by the speech surprised me, especially when the nation is involved in a shooting war and U.S. troops are dying in the effort to stabilize the newly-freed nations of Iraq and Afghanistan. Not surprisingly, the email reply did not answer my one question: Does such U.S. sacrifice constitute "lending a hand" or "giving the finger" to the rest of the world?

I have attached a photo [omitted here] that I took when patrolling in a Baghdad neighborhood just a few days before the January 30th elections. As you can see, the children are running towards our vehicle waving and smiling. To be candid, the kids probably like candy and toys at least as much as their new freedom, but they were not running and smiling previously when insurgents were terrorizing their neighborhood. That change is due to the efforts, and sacrifices, of U.S. troops to make their neighborhoods safe. Still, does PepsiCo consider the effort that U.S. troops have made in these neighborhoods, including taking casualties, as "lending a hand" or "giving the finger?"

Sorry to repeat myself, but as someone who has served in Iraq and Afghanistan, among other places in the war on terror, I would like to know how the leadership of PepsiCo answers that rather clear question. Since your president, in a prepared public speech to a high-profile university, clearly, methodically explained a point of view, I am asking if that represents the view of PepsiCo Board of Directors. If I may be so bold, I think you owe an answer to the troops on the ground.

I respectfully ask for a personal reply. If that is not possible, then I simply thank you for the form reply that you distributed and the opportunity to be heard.

At this point Major E. received a personal reply, though not one that answered his question. Suzanne Gooley of PepsiCo public relations responded that "we understand that you feel Indra's apology is not satisfactory. We will share your sentiments with her, and deeply regret that you have been disappointed in this way."

Major E. responded:

Thank you for your message. Ms. Nooyi is certainly entitled to her detailed opinion that the United States these days is "giving the finger" to the rest of the world, rather than "lending a hand." Having friends who have recently graduated from Columbia, I would imagine that the audience found her remarks pleasing while I, on the other hand, did not because of the underlying values and obvious political subtext. Without question, the dominant issue of American involvement in the world is the Global War on Terror, including the liberation and continuing stabilization efforts in Afghanistan and Iraq, where myself and over 130,00 other Americans are serving.

The question that I have asked since my first communication on this topic is whether PepsiCo agrees with the values that underlie Ms. Nooyi's statement made as the president of PepsiCo, not as a private citizen, since she is the company's president who made the remarks from a prepared text before a high-profile graduate school with media present. In regard to our relations with the rest of the world, does PepsiCo believe that America is "giving the finger," or "lending a hand?"

This is the third time I have asked the question and though it seems quite straightforward, I have yet to receive an answer, only polite responses promising to "forward" my message. Please advise whom I can contact to find out if PepsiCo accepts or rejects Ms. Nooyi's assessment. If getting such an answer continues to be a challenge, I am prepared to beg if necessary.

Giving up PepsiCo products has constituted a special sacrifice for Major E. Until Ms. Nooyi's speech, he had counted on PepsiCo's Gatorade to replenish himself after the drenching sweat he experiences while serving in his tank. Pending a response to his question from PepsiCo, he relies on an unsatisfactory combination of fruit punch and water. It would be nice if they'd just answer his question.

Scott Johnson is a contributor to the blog Power Line and a contributing writer to The Daily Standard.

SBD

The Weekly Standard
note: Link Added/Text Formatted/me#1
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ms. Nooyi is welcome to leave the USA if she finds that she can't stand our policies and we are free to give her the long straight middle finger as she leaves.

BOYCOTT PEPSI! JUST SAY; NO PEPSI PLEASE!

Remember to include Taco Bell, Pizza Hut and KFC in your boycott.

I've written AAFES to take into consideration Ms. Nooyi's comments when renewing contracts for Pepsi on-base services. Do we really want to do business with a company headed by this woman?

Cool Cool Cool

Independent that leans right of center.
ocsparky101
PO1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The e mail address for PepsiCo.

BoardofDirectors@Pepsi.com

Indra Nooyi
Columbia University's Business School speech May 15, 2005.

I plan on telling them I support Major E and his boycott of Pepsi products.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Any particular reason why? A search of the internet only revealed a call for and an end to that boycott against Taco Bell by farm workers in Florida and another call for boycotts against these three and several other companies for not supporting marijuana legalization.

Question Confused
ontheright
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another good reason to drink Coke! Cool
vet_supporter
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewWaters wrote:
Quote:

Any particular reason why?
Question Confused

These companies are owned by Pepsico.

VS
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
These companies are owned by Pepsico.

I'm afraid you're misdirecting the call for boycott;

Quote:
Taco Bell went public in 1969 and was acquired by PepsiCo in 1978. In October of 1997, PepsiCo spun-off KFC, Pizza Hut and Taco Bell thereby forming Tricon Global Restaurants Inc., the World’s largest restaurant company with revenues in excess of $22 billion. In May of 2002, Tricon Global Restaurants Inc. changed its name to YUM! Brands, Inc., after acquiring Long John Silver's and A&W All-American Food Restaurants.

http://www.franchising.com/tacobell/

Novak blames some of the lingering problems at the restaurants on former owner PepsiCo (see story, p. 16), which he says emphasized marketing at the expense of quality vittles, service and atmosphere. "It wasn't our schtick," PepsiCo President and Chief Financial Officer Indra Nooyi says of the restaurant business.

http://www.forbes.com/global/2003/0120/020.html

Pepsico actually owns;

Quote:
PepsiCo, Inc. is a global snack and beverage company. It manufactures, markets and sells a variety of salty, convenient, sweet and grain-based snacks, carbonated and non-carbonated beverages, and foods. The Company is organized in four divisions: Frito-Lay North America (FLNA), PepsiCo Beverages North America (PBNA), PepsiCo International (PI) and Quaker Foods North America (QFNA).

http://www.answers.com/topic/pepsico-inc-1

They also recently announced;

Quote:
Pepsi and Yahoo! Partner to Bring Unique Original Programming to Music Fans With 'Smash on Yahoo! Music' - (June 2, 2005) - Pepsi and Yahoo! today announced that they are partnering to launch a new program and microsite for Smash on Yahoo! Music ( http://smash.yahoo.com ) which will feature original video programming from some of today's hottest musical artists.

http://www.pepsico.com/

Seems to me there is going to be an awful lot of things our troops, as well as we ourselves, will be denied in this boycott that all enjoy.

Don't get me wrong, I do not support what this woman said at all. I think strong measures need to be taken over her words too, but if a boycott of everything Pepsico owns is called for, then everything they own should be boycotted, including a partnership with Yahoo.

Boycotts are okay in my book, we can well afford to do without a few luxuries. But, what about our troops? Do we deny them some of the very things they may well desire over those words?

I think a strong public outcry would work as well and yes, not buy Pepsi itself (I can't stand it myself, prefer iced tea I make at home). If we push to deny every product Pepsico owns to be purchased by the PX system, aren't we also denying our fighting troops what they may very well wish to have available and indirectly, hurt them?
Deuce
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhantomSgt wrote:
Ms. Nooyi is welcome to leave the USA... Cool

Sarge,
looks like she's taking your advice...

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=78265&p=IROL-NewsText&t=Regular&id=715362&

Be nice to hear some Vet asking some pertinent quesions in Paris...perhaps she could negotiate a response in French...

It would be much more acceptable there!

Deuce
Stevie
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can someone steal her passport?
well, I say we should do what we can.... may not be able to boycott ALL products, but some and/or most.

I don't normally drink pepsi, so giving that up wouldn't be 'help' from me; but I can give up some other products. I don't use a lot of them, but will
check thru them and give up what I do.

I don't think we sacrifice enough (any?) in support of our troops.

every little bit will put a bite in their profits.

does another company make some type of drink we can send
this wonderful guy fighting for us?

and we can ALL send emails to Pepsi.
be arrested, exiled or hanged.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: