SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cold War Veteran would like to join American Legion
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coldwarvet
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Cold War Veteran would like to join American Legion Reply with quote

When I came home to Minneapolis, MN after graduating from boot camp on 12/31/75 I quickly learned that I should have worn my civilian clothes rather then my USAF uniform. As I see the support of this generation of troops being undermined by MSM and educrats I thought it is time for me to join an organization that stands in support of the troops. I received an invitation to join the American Legion a couple of years ago and thought perhaps it is time for me to plug in and get involved in supporting the troops and other Veteran issues. However when I went on line to join I discovered I did not qualify since my service dates where from 11/75 thru 11/79. I understand that I do not qualify for the VFW since my four years of service was state side providing security for the Strategic Air Command. I do not understand all of the politics of the American Legion any of you members out their please advise me of why Cold War Veterans should not be allowed to participate in supporting the mission of the American Legion.

Thank you,

"Peace is our Profession"
Strategic Air Command - Motto

USAF 75-79 Security Police
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coldwarvet, while I don't make the rules of the VFW or the American Legion, I can understand what you are saying. To me, at least the American Legion should open to any Honorably Discharged Veteran of any branch of the Military.

Here is one you may also be interested in and you defintely should qualify for membership;

AMVETS.ORG
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

A dozen years ago, I ran into this situation with the American Legion, myself. A buddy of mine and me were going to join together. It turned out that I qualified and he didn't. His term of service was in the '75 to '80 time frame. Both of us balked and then we found out that the American Legion has a Charter that is Issued by Congress and the service years are clearly spelled out in the charter (and excluded my buddy). Neither of us joined, but it wasn't anything to do with the guys from the American Legion; they would have loved to taken us. Blame Congress. I have no idea why Congress excludes some time periods and allows others in the AL Charter but they do.

Jack
coldwarvet
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent letters to my congress men regarding the rules of the American Legion. It seems to me it would be very advantages for one of them to start the debate on allowing non combat Veterans who have served honorably to participate in the mission of the American Legion. I would very much appreciate it if any of you out their drop a note to your congress persons.

Thank you,

LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider it done, coldwarvet. For any others interested in contacting their elected officials, here is a site that lets you email all of them at one time. Simply enter your zip code and all of your Federal Officials, the Presidnet included, will receive your email.

http://www.congress.org/congressorg/pyv/
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll send a letter to my representatives too. Although, I don't hold out much hope since the congressman and senator representing my voting district are both super liberal anti-military types. I'll try anyway though.

Jack
coldwarvet
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your support.

I did check into my local Amvet chapter last summer and attended one of the meetings. I met three great veterans 2 from WWII and one from Korea. However that was the problem their was only three of them. I was hopping I could get involved with a larger organization that can have a larger impact on public opinion.

SpookGroup_Stache
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found out about the "Dates" criteria when I came home to NY state and tried to put in for the Veteran's property tax discount. American Legion qualification is by dates of service. If congress had voted that we were in conflict then those dates are eligible. Vietnam cut off 5/9/75 Panama and Grenada opened a limited window and then the Gulf War in '90 and the current conflict. VFW membership is strictly by "Combat/Theater Awards" My "peacetime service" during the Cold War does not qualify me for American Legion membership but any one of my three Navy Expeditionary Medals qualify me for the VFW. How did I get three "Combat Medals" during Peacetime?? If I told you I'd have to kill you.
Check into membership in Unit type organizations. I belong to both USSVI and to NCVA
US Naval Security Group
www.SpookGroup.org
Theresa Alwood
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coldwarvet...while I understand your need to stand up for our troops and support them...like most vets I feel the same way..like you I would not qualify because I served from 1979-1983 (regardless of the fact that I stood behind my man while he served from 78-01)

In my little world of what I have seen with these so called vet organizations it is not what they appear to be. Was in not the VFW that would not allow Viet Nam vets to be allowed members? It was also the VFW, I believe, who allowed John Kerry to address then. As a former vet I was appalled. I feel within all my heart this man should be sitting in a jail cell for treason. Yet the VFW honored him. I was moved by the few men who turned their backs on him. So why be part of a organization that does not HONOR ALL VETS!!! We are all equal in each other eyes. There are some who I hold in higher regard than my little ole self who only did 4 years....my discharge does say with HONORABLE conditions and I am proud of that.

If they would allow this 46 year old women to go back active duty and stand side by side with these great young men and women...I would do it. I have never been prouder to consider myself a vet!
SpookGroup_Stache
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theresa (and others),
#1. Thank you for your service.
#2. If you read the rules for membershi in either organization you will see that they have specific criteria that qualifies someone for membership.
The American Legion goes by dates of service, the VFW by campaign or Combat awards. There are other organizations that have different membership criteria. ALL Vietnam Era Vets are eligible to join the American Legion whether or not they ever left CONUS, all they needed to be was in uniform between February 28, 1961 to May 7, 1975 (Vietnam War). VFW is open to Vietnam Era Vets who were awarded a Vietnam Service Medal between July 4th 1965 and March 8, 1973 and also other combat medals or awards may also make them eligible. Basically you had to be on Foreign "soil" and "in harm's way" to join the Veterans of Foreign Wars.
Regarding John Kerry addressing the membership of the VFW, I too was upset at first. But then more rational thought allowed me to agree that as a candidate for President he should have been given the opportunity to speak to the group. It would have been nice if in his speech he made an apology or offered his Form 180. However, his prescence did allow the membership to stand and turn their backs on him.

The real shame is that it was not a unanimous gesture.
US Naval Security Group
www.SpookGroup.org
Theresa Alwood
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coldwarvet

After making my post I recalled back into this old brain of mine that I read where some vets were actually volunteering at VA hospitals, reading to vets, just visiting with them. We do have a VA hospital near St. Louis and once my daughter is finsihed and gets her license that is something I plan on doing. It is a down right shame the way some of our bravest men and women and be treated in our own VA hospitals. I know my husband had to to down to get evaluated on his disability and he told me if it ever came down to going to the VA I was to shoot him first.

There plenty of ways to actually do more for veterans than joining a group who had little to do with our Vietnam brothers and sisters when they returned for war...and it still darn well ticks me off! I am sure they will start wanting us to join once these vets are gone and will be open to those of us who were lucky enough to serve during peace time...but I feel that should not penalize us either. We served with just the same pride, we wore the same uniform and the threat of war is always there.

Coldwar - you did a great service to this country and from one vet to another..I say Thank You
LimaCharlie
PO2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theresa Alwood wrote:
Coldwarvet

After making my post I recalled back into this old brain of mine that I read where some vets were actually volunteering at VA hospitals, reading to vets, just visiting with them. We do have a VA hospital near St. Louis and once my daughter is finsihed and gets her license that is something I plan on doing. It is a down right shame the way some of our bravest men and women and be treated in our own VA hospitals. I know my husband had to to down to get evaluated on his disability and he told me if it ever came down to going to the VA I was to shoot him first.

There plenty of ways to actually do more for veterans than joining a group who had little to do with our Vietnam brothers and sisters when they returned for war...and it still darn well ticks me off! I am sure they will start wanting us to join once these vets are gone and will be open to those of us who were lucky enough to serve during peace time...but I feel that should not penalize us either. We served with just the same pride, we wore the same uniform and the threat of war is always there.

Coldwar - you did a great service to this country and from one vet to another..I say Thank You

There was an article in our local newspaper about the free daily shuttle bus from our city to the Portland VA hospital being in trouble and possibly closing due to the lack of volunteer drivers. They were down to three drivers and some of them had medical problems that might make them unable to continue. I called the number and volunteered to drive the shuttle bus. The woman told me she had forty-three volunteers including me. The VA hospitals have a volunteer coordinator, just call them if you have time to volunteer.
jalexson
PO3

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewWaters wrote:
Consider it done, coldwarvet. For any others interested in contacting their elected officials, here is a site that lets you email all of them at one time. Simply enter your zip code and all of your Federal Officials, the Presidnet included, will receive your email.

http://www.congress.org/congressorg/pyv/

Those who served after Vietnam definitely deserve to belong to the American Legion. they are all volunteers who had no idea when they joined if the country might send them into combat.
"That awful power, the public opinion of a nation, is created in America by a horde of ignorant, self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditching and shoe making and fetched up in journalism on their way to the poor house."
-- Mark Twain
streetsweeper95B
PO2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Attention all cold war vet's! Reply with quote

Hey coldwarvet & others that served 1945-1991. I went searching and found something right up our ally's.

I am truly sorry the American Legion rules don't included the time you served. My tour was 9/74 - 12/75. Legions cutoff date is 5/75

Frigging sucks, man.

Anyway's------I found there is an association for people like us! Yah Baby!
Check it out bro's n sis's; their working on trying to get us a "cold war medals" & "certificates" by the way.

www.coldwarveterans.com
Theresa Alwood
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since my husband is retired from the Air Force I did see in the Afterburner where members of the military can now apply for the Cold War Recognition Certificate. All members of the Armed Froces can apply and even qualified government civilian personnel who "faithfully and honorably served the United States anytime during the Cold War era - defined as Sept 2, 19745 to Dec 26, 1991." Fax the application with supporting document to 1-800-723-9262 or mail to

US Army Human Resources
Cold War Recognition Program
Room 3N45
ATTN: AHRC-CWRS
200 Stovall Street
Alexantria, VA 22332-0473

It says acceptable supporting documents include any official government or military document that contains the recipient's name, SSN or Military Service Number of Foreign Service Number showing at least one day of service during the Cold WAr ERa

For any other info check the following website www.hrc.army.mil/site/active/TAGD/coldwar/default.htm

It does say it will take about 2 months but down from the 6 month wait.

I guess my DD214 should work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: