SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

USCG Nam vet looking for Swiftboat crew

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Looking for a shipmate?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
perkybearzulu32259
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: USCG Nam vet looking for Swiftboat crew Reply with quote

I was on the USCGC Halfmoon when she was deployed in Nam in 1967 (operation market time). I took volunteer patrols on various swiftboats. I am embarassed to say that I do not remember any of the vets on the boats. I think the PCFs were out of An Thoi and sometimes they came aboard the Halfmoon to change crews, etc. and that is when I went on patrol with them I recall some particular incidents I ask you to please see if you recall them. I am an African-American. I was an E-6 Radioman. one trip you took me ashore to a special forces camp to repair their radio; on another trip we dropped a couple of SEALS off at some unknown point to me; on another trip some troops asked for fire support and we advised them that we were bouncing around and no stability to provide support, but they insisted because they were in real hot situation and we delivered the first WP mortar round and it hit their radioman. I am having problems with this because I don't know if he lived or not; who he was; where he was from. Can anyone help?
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am embarassed to say that I do not remember any of the vets on the boats.

Perky, hello and welcome. As embarrassing as it may be, I have found that many of us Viet Nam Veterans suffer from similar lapses in memory. Although I was Army, not Navy, I find that I can't remember but one or two names of guys I served with closely during my time there.

As for your request, hopefully one of the Swift Boat Vets will stop by and be able to help out. Another place you might check would the Swift Boat Sailors Association. Persuse the link below and hopefully, they will be of help too.

http://www.swiftboats.org/
mtboone
Founder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewWaters wrote:
Quote:
I am embarassed to say that I do not remember any of the vets on the boats.

Perky, hello and welcome. As embarrassing as it may be, I have found that many of us Viet Nam Veterans suffer from similar lapses in memory. Although I was Army, not Navy, I find that I can't remember but one or two names of guys I served with closely during my time there.

As for your request, hopefully one of the Swift Boat Vets will stop by and be able to help out. Another place you might check would the Swift Boat Sailors Association. Persuse the link below and hopefully, they will be of help too.

http://www.swiftboats.org/

Lew, we call it CRS, Can't Remember S**t.
BillM
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whew! I thought it was just me.
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Perky,

Your screen name is very reminiscent of the Market Time call signs. I was there from 12/69 thru 12/71 and I recall Perky Beer as being the designator for a group of the operational areas with each unit getting a different phonetic letter tacked on the end. Perky Beer Alpha, Bravo and Charlie would have been PCFs and Perky Beer Zulu would have been one of the bigger vessels like your Cutter.

There are lots of crews that check this and the other swift sites from time to time. An Thoi was Division 11 of Coastal Squadron 1. Like Lew said, check out http://swiftboats.org, http://pcf45.com and the links that are at those sites, I'm sure you'll hookup with a few of the An Thoi boys. Also check out http://brownwater-navy.com/, sign in as a guest and leave a message.

Jack
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Looking for a shipmate? All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: