SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Corpsman Up!"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RogerRabbit
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: "Corpsman Up!" Reply with quote

http://www.mountainjournalnews.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=732&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

Quote:

"Corpsman Up!" is the desperate cry for help answered by the finest of the U.S. Navy.

Dr. Thomas Dimitry

For over 100 years the Hospital Corps has provided medical care to Navy and Marine Corps personnel anywhere, anytime and under the most arduous and harrowing conditions. More than one hospital corpsman has given his life so that his patient might live.

The hospital corpsman's job in war is the only job to preserve life, not take it. They are truly "men of mercy". Many corpsmen were killed by enemy soldiers while treating the wounded. Navy Corpsman have performed their duty without a physician's supervision, under enemy fire and alone except for their skills, training and courage.

The only group in the history of the US Navy to have received a blanket commendation from the Secretary of the Navy was the Hospital Corps for its heroic work during WW II.

Since the Boxer Rebellion in 1900 members of the Hospital Corps have been awarded 27 Medals of Honor (24 to enlisted men), 174 Navy Crosses, 31 Distinguished Service Crosses (the Army equivalent of the Navy Cross) and 943 Silver Stars. Bronze Star Medals, Navy Achievement Medals and Navy Commendation Medals with "V" device for valor have also been awarded in large numbers. Thousands of Purple Heart Medals have also been awarded to corpsmen.

Often advancing with little or no cover or suppressing fire FMF corpsmen have braved intense, withering and accurate enemy fire to reach the wounded. At times corpsmen have suffered a greater percentage of casualties that the marines they supported. During WW II, primarily in the South Pacific, FMF corpsmen suffered over 1,100 killed and thousands more wounded. At Iwo Jima, 4th Marine Division corpsmen suffered over 35% casualties. A percentage rate higher than the marines they treated. More than 630 hospital corpsmen were killed in action in Vietnam and more than 4,500 awarded the Purple Heart Medal.

During the Vietnam War the services made allowance for the first award of the Good Conduct Medal for individuals killed on active duty or separated from service due to wounds or disability incurred in combat. The Air Force, Army, Coast Guard and Marine Corps made that allowance. The Navy did not.

The Army and Marine Corps participated in the majority of the ground fighting in Vietnam. If a Navy corpsman, attending a wounded marine, and both on their first enlistments, were both killed by enemy fire only the marine was eligible for the Good Conduct Medal. The corpsman was not eligible for the first award of the Good Conduct Medal.

Of the 638 enlisted medical personnel killed in Vietnam 621 were in the ranks of E-2, E-3, E-4 and E-5. Most, if not all, were on their first enlistment. Over 4,450 medical personnel were wounded and most were probably in the lower enlisted ranks. The overwhelming majority of enlisted Navy casualties in Vietnam were members of the Hospital Corps. If they were discharged as the result of injury due to combat they were not eligible for the Good Conduct Medal regardless if their conduct and performance ratings were exceptional. The Navy, in May of 1974, changed its policy and now conforms to the other services. But, those who served in Vietnam and possibly other conflicts are not eligible.

Corpsmen attend the Field Medical Service School (FMSS) and upon completion of the class-work, field segment, physical qualifying element and relentless 'tough-love' from the US Marine Corps instructors they are awarded the designation HM 8404. Field Medical Service School is attended by both officer and enlisted personnel.

An Army medic who has attained and demonstrated a high degree of medical skill and passed a number of required tests may be awarded the Expert Medical Badge. For respect, recognition and tangible evidence of assignment and having performed medical duties in combat and having the appropriate designation a qualified Army medic may be awarded the prestigious Combat Medic Badge. Officers and enlisted may be awarded the badge.

It has been said, "Greater love hath no man than to lay down his life for his fellow man." Corpsmen have done that consistently. Corpsmen have never asked for, nor have they received all credit due them. Do they deserve less tangible recognition than their Army medical counterparts?

The stroke of a pen could authorize eligibility for the first award of the Good Conduct Medal to those killed or discharged for combat injury from Vietnam and other conflicts not currently covered. That same pen could authorize the Expert Medic Badge, Combat Medic Badge, Fleet Marine Force Insignia and FMF ribbon to all eligible officers and enlisted personnel from WW II, Korea, Vietnam and other conflicts not covered.

A Navy that prides itself in its skilled personnel, both officer and enlisted, and awards insignia denoting special qualifications and achievements has overlooked its oldest and most decorated group of personnel, who for over 100 years have served with honor, valor, dignity and distinction. The Hospital Corpsman. And there is a special element to corpsman; they take a pledge.

The Hospital Corpsman Pledge

solemnly pledge myself before God and these mightiness to practice safely all of my duties as a member of the hospital corps.

I hold the care of the sick and the injured to be a privilege and a sacred trust and will assist the medical officer with loyalty and honesty. I will not knowingly permit harm to come to any patient

I will not partake or administer any unauthorized medication. I will hold all personal matters pertaining to the private lives of the patients in strict confidence. I dedicate my heart, mind and strength to the work before me. I shall do all within my power to show in myself an example of all that is good and honorable throughout my Naval career, so help me God.

The Marine Corps has recognized the special training and qualifications of its Hospital Corpsmen by giving them a distinct privilege and honor. They allow their corpsman, 'Men of Mercy', to wear the US Marine Corps uniform.

lthrneck
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup we love our Docs.

Semper fi
uuurah
Carry On!!
NavDoc
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get a chill up my spine every time I hear or say that pledge Very Happy
baldeagle
PO2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lthrneck wrote:
Yup we love our Docs.

CORPSMAN - Usually a young, long haired, bearded, Marine-hatin' Sailor with certain medical skills, who will go through the very gates of Hell to get to a wounded Marine.
More here
http://www.montney.com/marine/corpsman.htm
"In a word, I want an American character, that the powers of Europe may be convinced we act for ourselves and not for others; this, in my judgment, is the only way to be respected abroad and happy at home." --George Washington
roughfun
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corpsman Rule. Told to me at An Hoa Combat Base 1967. A marine was badly wounded and pinned down by heavy small arms fire. The doc ran out in the open to get to him and the grunt opens up on the corpsman. Now hes got the NVA and the wounded guy shooting at him. He pulled it off and came out of it OK. Just a part of his day. Semper Fi
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

God bless em, the Navy's finest.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: