SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Bush Doctrine: We Win, They Lose

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: The Bush Doctrine: We Win, They Lose Reply with quote

http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/Printable.asp?ID=18652
Quote:
The Bush Doctrine: We Win, They Lose
By Michael Reagan
FrontPageMagazine.com | July 5, 2005

When someone asked my dad, Ronald Reagan, what his strategy was for fighting the Cold War, he gave a simple answer: “We win; they lose.”

Boiled down to its essence, that’s pretty much what President Bush said last Tuesday night in his speech at Ft. Bragg, and it drove leftists up the wall. Winning wars doesn’t matter to them; the only thing that matters is winning elections, and it also drives them up the wall that all they’ve done lately is lose.

In a calm and persuasive manner, Bush described the strategy for victory in the war against Islamic terrorism, making it clear that the struggle in Iraq and that war are the same thing – an obvious fact the Left can’t seem to grasp. He stressed that the three steps being taken are partnering U.S. and Iraqi units, embedding U.S. advisers with Iraqi troops and helping Iraqi ministry officials to coordinate antiterrorism operations.

As he has often done, he invoked the specter of 9/11, and it seems to have unhinged the Democrats, who abhor making any connections between 9/11 and the war in Iraq, ignoring the fact that it was al-Qaeda that attacked us on 9/11 and it is al-Qaeda’s thugs who are the main enemy in Iraq.

West Virginia’s Sen. Jay Rockefeller was aghast at the president’s use of the September 11 theme: "I can't explain him or his policies. I think it's a natural cycle: You go through the various scenarios that don't work, and then you go and start back at the beginning and see if the American people are willing to buy that. They won't."

Wanna bet, Senator? Americans know the truth when they see it.

"What the president was talking about was that September 11 taught us important lessons," presidential spokesman Scott McClellan said. "It taught us that we must confront threats before they full materialize, before they reach our shores." He drew the connection between the 19 al-Qaeda terrorists who hijacked four airliners and the insurgents fighting in Iraq.

"These are the same kind of people," he said. "They are terrorists who seek to dominate the Middle East...and the president made the decision that we could no longer ignore these emerging threats that were building in the Middle East."

To get around the obvious 9/11 connection, the Democrats claim that it is only because we went to war against Saddam Hussein that al-Qaeda came into the insurgency there, and it is therefore President Bush’s fault that we are now facing what amounts to a guerilla war being fought there largely by non-Iraqis.

It doesn’t occur to them that the best strategy in warfare is to fight on the ground of your own choosing. That’s what we’ve done by going into Afghanistan and Iraq. If al-Qaeda is allowed to pick the battleground it would be where they started the whole thing, in places such as New York and Washington and Pennsylvania.

The common complaint among Hill Democrats – unjustified by the facts – was the allegation that the president had failed to lay out a coherent strategy. According to House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, "The speech the president made could have been made one year ago, two years ago. It really wasn't anything new. What we were looking for last night was for the president to take initiative for a strategy for success, with specific plans on what the milestones were so our troops can come home safely."

I guess she wasn’t listening very carefully to the president when he explained in terms simple enough for even Congressional leftists to grasp: that the initiative for success was to teach the new Iraqi military how to defeat the terrorists and help them until they can handle the job themselves. This, he said, will take time, but wars are not won overnight, even if the left-wing's representatives think they should be.

None of that was good enough for Wisconsin Sen. Russ Feingold who complained about the president's alleged refusal to discuss an exit strategy.

Once again, the president has an exit strategy: We win; they lose.

If the Democrats will allow us to, that is.

“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

“We win; they lose.” I like it !!
The only thing I'd add it "And we do it on our terms."

I actually think that fighting terrorists in Iraq is the best strategy we could have engaged in. Afghanistan is a terrible place to wage war. Nobody's had a lot of success in a thousand years because of the terrain. Iraq is a perfect magnet to draw the terrorists out and concentrate them in one place and that one place lacks all the natural hiding places and inaccessible areas that Afghanistan has; and we got rid of Saddam to boot.

My compliments to the chef, Mr. Bush. Your strategy is well thought out and brilliant.
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the distinct impression that some Commiecrats don't care a bit who wins the war, they only want to win elections.
If a very self admitted stupid person like me can grasp the situation, then it must be for some other reason than how to win the war that they continue to rail against the only strategy that makes sense.
Again, I apologize for the Commiecrat moniker but I got to call em like I see em and until the Democrats take their party back from the Communists then the moniker fits as far as I'm concerned.

Dusty
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BuffaloJack wrote:
Iraq is a perfect magnet to draw the terrorists out and concentrate them in one place and that one place lacks all the natural hiding places and inaccessible areas that Afghanistan has; and we got rid of Saddam to boot.

My compliments to the chef, Mr. Bush. Your strategy is well thought out and brilliant.

Jack...

That's almost poetic in its brilliance...I hadn't really considered the element of favorable terrain. Thanks for pointing it out.
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me#1You#10 wrote:
BuffaloJack wrote:
Iraq is a perfect magnet to draw the terrorists out and concentrate them in one place and that one place lacks all the natural hiding places and inaccessible areas that Afghanistan has; and we got rid of Saddam to boot.

Jack...

That's almost poetic in its brilliance...I hadn't really considered the element of favorable terrain. Thanks for pointing it out.

Jack you were reading my mind. I was having a conversation about this just this weekend. Iraq was a much better place strategically to attract all the terrorists in the middle east. It would be much harder for them to come from all over to Afghanistan to fight us. In Iraq they are slipping across different borders, and my guess is that is exactly what was anticipated.
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rdtf said
Quote:
In Iraq they are slipping across different borders, and my guess is that is exactly what was anticipated.

You got it! I have to laugh at sKerry decrying that the terrorists are pouring
across the borders into Iraq, and Bush is doing nothing to stop it.

Duh! That is the plan, John Boy!!

Stupid Mama T's boy!
What is it you don't understand about "We will fight the enemy in Iraq so that we don't have to fight them here at home"???
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
Bill Faith
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different borders, indeed. The ones that slip into Iraq aren't strolling into the U.S. from Mexico.
USAF 1970-1974
Viet Nam 1971-1972
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: