SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DC CBS Report: pic taking control violation of civil rights

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: DC CBS Report: pic taking control violation of civil rights Reply with quote

Well here is my rant for the day. Last night on the local news (CBS, of course) they aired a story here in the DC area that touched a cord with me. I got so mad that I sent them an email. being told to not take pictures of sensitive areas in DC is a violation of our civil rights? This is what was said. They mentioned civil rights many times. There is a link below to the story, but trust me the whole thing was poised as a set up and had no other intention but to harass these people that are there to keep us safe. Here are the cliff notes: This reporter (Dave Statter who should leave and go work with Blather) had a young blonde female intern walking around sensitive areas of DC, acting like a tourist, and taking pictures. In many cases security folks would approach her and tell her to stop. In one situation, she was at a marine barracks entrance and when they asked her to stop taking pictures she questioned them as to 'why' repeatedly, and asked was it posted anywhere. Then the reporter showed up to harrass the marine. They did this over and over and every time the intent was to force the security people into admitting that they could in fact take pictures if they were standing on public property. Now this wasn't a picture of the Lincoln Memorial, or the Smithsonian, or any memorial. These were military installations, etc. You'd have to see the report to get the full infuriating effect, but I just couldn't believe it, especially so soon after the london bombings. How the HE** do they think terrorists plan their missions? I really enjoyed sending that email. Evil or Very Mad Told them not to respond, that I have no interest in dialogue with Americans that fool themselves into thinking they are patriotic all the while not thinking of their country first.

http://www.wusatv9.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=41266

Quote:
Camera Conscious

Written by Dave Statter
Created:7/14/2005 10:42:31 PM
Last Updated:7/15/2005 8:50:08 AM

Even though it has long been considered a potential target for terrorists, no one will stop you from taking pictures of the White House.

But as we first showed you in November snapping pictures elsewhere in a security conscious Washington isn't always easy.

9 News' Dave Statter has a follow-up report that everyone should see before they Point and Shoot.

Dave Statter's Report

With scores of tourists by her side 9 News intern Leah Crane walks right up to the White House gate and begins shooting pictures.

While the secret service may be comfortable that these tourists aren't terrorists plotting the next attack, security elsewhere around town still hasn't warmed to people like Leah armed with cameras.

Officials tell her she can't take pictures without permission.

This last stop is NASA headquarters in Southwest.

A NASA spokesman says while it want its' guards to be vigilant, it is not the agency's policy to restrict picture taking from a public area.

But a building employee let our intern know that these confrontations aren't unusual.

Balancing security and our freedoms after 9/11 isn't always easy.

But you should know despite what you may hear on the street, the Department of Homeland Security and all of the government and military agencies we visited can not come up with any law or regulation that prohibits you from taking a picture of a government building while standing on a public street.

You may have an interest in Marine Corps history But if you take a picture of the 200-year old Southeast barracks the marine guards may take something from you.

Marines on the lookout for those who may harm the corps give no special privileges to news crews.

Nearby the Washington Navy Yard has a similar rich history but the picture policy appears to be a little different.

The police at the Navy Yard quickly realized we were free to point and shoot.

The cabinet secretary mentioned is Norman Mineta and this is the Department of Transportation. You may recall this same security team from our last report.

A DOT spokesman says they will continue to investigate any activity that could lead to or become a threat to the security of its employees but what they won't tell us is what authority these guards have to stop picture taking.

Meanwhile at the Federal Triangle they no longer ban picture taking at the EPA

Though, if you cross the street to the IRS they don't want you to take out your camera.

But yes the IRS will still take your money.

Despite repeated requests the Department of Transportation will not acknowledge that you have the right to take pictures of its building from the public sidewalk. But spokesmen for every other building or agency we visited, including the Marines, admit that security agents do not have the right to ban such picture taking.

In fact the Federal Protective Service-responsible for the safety of numerous buildings-says it used our November report to help train its officers about the public's rights. But do expect that security will want to know who you are if you linger at many of these buildings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: