SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Kerry can serve...again—Sue the Swift Boat Vets"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:30 am    Post subject: "Kerry can serve...again—Sue the Swift Boat Vets" Reply with quote

Yet another pundit who just can't figure out John Kerry's folding like a cheap cardtable in response to SVPT allegations. Lessee, this time it's "Libel or slander suits are of no use in the heat of a campaign." One of these days, the Richard Doaks of this world will come to a realization that, quite often, the obvious answer is the correct one. Were John Kerry's CV to have received 1/10th of the media investigatory energy expended on George Bush, perhaps even Mr. Doak might have had second thoughts.

Quote:
Doak: Kerry can serve his country again — Sue the Swift Boat Vets
By RICHARD DOAK
REGISTER COLUMNIST
Des Moines Register
October 10, 2005

John Kerry is scheduling appearances in Iowa again, leaving little doubt he harbors hopes of another shot at the presidency in 2008.

Forget it. Democrats are unlikely to give another chance to a candidate who they think should have been able to beat George Bush, but didn't.

But there is a significant public service Kerry could perform without running for office. He could sue the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth for libel. (me#1/pssst...Mr. Doak...didn't you find it the least bit odd that it took Kerry over a year to sign form 180, even after numerous declarations that ALL his military records had been previously released? Do you actually BUY his excuse that he simply didn't wish to placate his critics when his very reticence to be forthcoming with his records cast a doubt on his veracity and may well have cost him the election?

<snip>

Public officials are understandably reluctant to file libel suits. They are difficult for a public figure to win, and in Kerry's situation, filing a lawsuit would make him look like a poor loser, almost certainly dooming any chances of getting the nomination again. (me#1: to say nothing of what doors might open under discovery or cross-examination)

Still, Kerry might have a plausible case if he has the stomach for trying to teach a lesson to attack groups.

The Swift Boat Veterans for Truth was the group that, among other charges, asserted that Kerry did not deserve the combat medals he was awarded by the Navy in Vietnam. The available evidence indicated the Swift Boat assertions were false. (me#1: Mr. Doak, SOMEONE better introduce you to the "New Media", and you might actually try READING "Unfit for Command" as opposed to "available evidence" presented by the NY Times, the Des Moines Register et al)

<snip>

Does anyone know of any other mechanism that might be used to penalize falsehoods, other than an occasional libel suit? (me#1: I do...you vote for the other candidate)

Of course, most negative-campaigning techniques would be immune from libel law because they don't require out-and-out lies. The half truth, the innuendo, the information out of context, the invention of straw men — the stock in trade of negative campaigns — could continue unfazed.

For them, there is only one remedy — an educated citizenry with a low tolerance for being fed propaganda dung and a willingness to shun politicians and their surrogates who spoon it out. (me#1: Present company, of course, excluded?)

Des Moines Register - cont'd
Anker-Klanker
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah! Mr. Pot, meet Mr. Kettle. Or please look at yourself in the mirror.

He's guilty - in this article, no less - of the very sin he's complaining about.
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerry won't sue because he doesn't want to be seen as a sore loser???
LOL!!

What a piece of propaganda!!

I really wonder how much TERAAAZZA paid Mr. Doak to write this article???
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
Navy wife
Research Director

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what I dream of sending in a letter to the editor!

Quote:
Dear Sir,
In response to the hilarious column by Richard Doak, "Kerry can serve his country again — Sue the Swift Boat Vets," doesn't Mr. Doak realize that the Swiftboat Vets would have disbanded early on if only John Kerry had opened his military records to the general public by signing the Form 180? That, sir, would have either proven their case or not. Since he had to back off the "story" of his first purple heart and the "story" of going into Cambodia, I don't think a libel suit would get anywhere because it would prove the Swiftboat Vets were right!

I have laughed ever since reading this column because seeing as how there was absolutely no mention of the George Sorros and Michael Moore 527 groups which stooped at nothing to defeat George Bush, it made me realize that your newspaper was a supporter of those people.

Thank you for giving me my chuckle of the day!

Sincerely,
Mary
fortdixlover
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Taranto at www.opinionjournal.com has it right:

A Modest Proposal

Maybe Des Moines Register columnist Richard Doak is just being Swiftian, but he offers some advice to John Kerry* that we would love to see the haughty, French-looking, etc., etc., follow:

There is a significant public service Kerry could perform without running for office. He could sue the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth for libel. If he won a verdict and big-money damages, it could send a message to advocacy groups in all future campaigns that they might pay dearly if they stray too far from the truth in their attacks. . . . The Swift Boat Veterans for Truth was the group that, among other charges, asserted that Kerry did not deserve the combat medals he was awarded by the Navy in Vietnam. The available evidence indicated the Swift Boat assertions were false.

The trouble is, that "available evidence"--the official reports of the action that led to the medals--was largely provided by Kerry himself. It is very unlikely that Kerry could prove that the Swift Boat Veterans' charges were untrue, especially since he has acknowledged that some of them (regarding his first purple heart and his tale of spending Christmas in Cambodia ) are true.

Although our view is that Kerry should be given the benefit of the doubt on the matters that remain in factual dispute, we have seen no convincing evidence to back up the assumption, commonly accepted in the media, that the Swift Boat Veterans unfairly maligned him. If Kerry wants to put this assumption to a test in court, then (to coin a phrase) bring it on.

* Two hundred fifty-four days and counting . .

note: Hyperlinks from original post added. I missed them as well until I forwarded the article in HTML/me#1
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the post FDL. Nice to see Taranto got hold of this one!

He's still using the Polipundit "Kerry 180 Clock" like a junkyard dog who's got hold of your pants leg. Laughing
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, speaking of PoliPundit, looks like she's taken note of Mr. Doak's commentary as well. Perhaps he's getting a bit more exposure than he bargained for...

Quote:
Is It Possible That Kerry Would Ever Have To Testify About His Vietnam Days?

Kerry could sue the Swift Boat Vets. That is the “public service” that one newspaper columnist says John Kerry could perform. (Link via Lucianne .) Silly newspaper guy. If Kerry ever did such a thing he would have to testify and show that they lied about his activities in Vietnam. Of course, there are other circumstances under which John Kerry might have to testify about his Vietnam days, but they would not be of Kerry’s choosing.

Update: In case any new Polpundit readers wonder, you can use the search box in the right sidebar, or search the archives from August through November of 2004, to find out the high regard I have for the Swift Boat Vets and, while I am on the subject, I don’t think I will ever forget the “dishonest and dishonorable” slur John McCain made against them.

-- Lorie Byrd

PoliPundit
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for sKerry to file any suit, unless he can trump a reason for others to do it for him.

As for Doak, he's just another leftie Swiftiephobe Laughing Wasn't he listening last year when John O'Neill invited Kerry to file suit?
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noted in the "Lucianne" comments that a poster purporting to be Judy Warner made the following entry...

Quote:
Reply 71 - Posted by: Judy W., 10/11/2005 5:55:49 AM

Information on the lawsuits is at VVLF lawsuits and their press releases and other info are at VVLF info . They need money for legal bills! My husband Jim Warner is one of the guys quoted in the top press release. He was on Gordon Liddy's show on Friday. I hope we can get a transcript to post on the VVLF site.

The reaction on Lucianne was enjoyable to read, but the existence of current libel lawsuits (by Kerry proxies?) went unmentioned throughout the entire list of lengthy comments, save for Judy Warner's. While we, here, understand that the SVPT and the VVLF enjoy both a deep mutual respect, close association and some common membership, it is, primarily (and, perhaps, even arguably more despicably), our POW's (to include MOH Awardee Col. Bud Day ), Carlton Sherwood and Newsmax who are NOW being sued. I would have commented myself (as did Judy), but Lucianne.com registration is closed.

Peggy Noonan wrote:
As much as anyone, the POW wives of Vietnam, who stood against the Democratic nominee for president and for the Republican, can claim credit for the Bush victory. Everyone with a computer in America, and a lot of people with TVs, saw their testimony about the 1970s, and their husbands, and John Kerry. You could not come away from their white-haired, soft-faced, big-eyeglasses visages without thinking: He should not be commander in chief.
Peggy Noonan, "So Much to Savor", Wall Street Journal, Nov. 4, 2004

To Judy and her husband Jim, God bless you both for the sacrifices you have endured and for continuing to stand in harm's way in defending your country from the clutches of Kerry and all that he represents.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here's an item of particular interest from the Court docket in the Campbell v. Sherwood suit...(emphasis mine and case as written)

Quote:
16-MAY-2005
01:46 PM

ORDER - ORDER ENTERED/236 NOTICE GIVEN

IT IS HEREBY ORDERED THAT DEFENDANT'S MOTION TO COMPEL IS GRANTED. PLAINTIFF, KENNETH CAMPBELL, SHALL RESPOND TO DEFENDANTS' INTERROGATORIES NOS. 2(f),9, 10-15, 18-21, 32, 34, 35-37 AND RESPOND TO REQUEST FOR PRODUCTION OF DOCUMENTS NOS. 1, 2, 3-10, 13-16 AND PRODUCE A COMPLETED AND SIGNED FORM 180 PERMITTING DEFENDANTS TO OBTAIN ALL OF PLAINTIFF'S MILITARY RECORDS AND DOCUMENTS FROM THE U.S. GOVERNMENT WITHIN TWENTY (20) DAYS HEREOF OR SUFFER SANCTIONS. BY THE COURT: NEW, J. 05/10/05

Kerry will institute a libel suit on the 12th of never.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, #1. Kerry will only go after others through surrogates. He doesn't want anything to enable the general public to see what is actually in his records. They would have been made public, all of them, long ago if they were squeaky clean.
mtboone
Founder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewWaters wrote:
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for sKerry to file any suit, unless he can trump a reason for others to do it for him.

As for Doak, he's just another leftie Swiftiephobe Laughing Wasn't he listening last year when John O'Neill invited Kerry to file suit?

You have no ideal what is going on at the Swift Boat Sailors Association, who is not involved with SVPT and the legal BS we are going through by intimidation for a Swift (?) officer and discussing actions with the IRS against our group. Swimmer, I hear said he would endorse skerry over harry clinton if he ran again today and I believe he will try. Hope the masses of asses in mass will get rid of both of them. They are both a disgrace to the US and humanity, no morals in either of them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: