SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The FairTax
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FairTaxGuy
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:53 am    Post subject: The FairTax Reply with quote

I'm just curious how many people here know about the FairTax? I was a big follower of this website and these forums back in the election time but as a FairTax supporter lately I've been thinking a lot about how if FairTax.org could get the press time swiftvvets for the truth did the FairTax Act would've been passed the first congressional session the bill was sponsored in. FairTax.org is a non-partisan/non-profit organization however the only cosponsors of this bill are republicans. There were a few democrats who had their name on in previous sessions and even this session but were unfortunately forced to retract their sponsorship by democratic leadership. I'm just curious how many people here even know about the FairTax and the www.FairTax.org website and what your thoughts are about it?

Some other FairTax websites where you can read more about this:

www.FairTaxVolunteer.org
www.MyFairTax.org
www.salestax.org
www.salestaxusa.com
www.fairtaxindiana.net

Last edited by FairTaxGuy on Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:14 am; edited 2 times in total
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: The FairTax Reply with quote

FairTaxGuy wrote:
I'm just curious how many people here know about the FairTax? I was a big follower of this website and these forums back in the election time but as a FairTax supporter lately I've been thinking a lot about how if FairTax.org was like this website/organization, the FairTax Act would've been passed the first congressional session the bill was sponsored in. FairTax.org is a non-partisan/non-profit organization however the only cosponsors of this bill are republicans. There were a few democrats who had their name on in previous sessions and even this session but were unfortunately forced to retract their sponsorship by democratic leadership. I'm just curious how many people here even know about the FairTax and the www.FairTax.org website and what your thoughts are about it?

Works for me. I paid nearly 40K in taxes last year and have nothing to show for it except the knowledge I paid for a Mark 82 to drop on some terrorists somewhere.

Cool Cool Cool

Independent that leans right of center.
AMOS
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: How about? Reply with quote

Has anyone examined the concept of The Automated Payment Transaction Tax?

http://www.apttax.com/
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't even like thinking about taxes but this FairTax plan is a good one. I've been following it's progress and it is emerging as the leading alternative to our present system.
And it does away with the I.R.S. and all this record keeping and makes all the illegals pay taxes too.
Only question I got is, how long before we pass it.

Dusty
FairTaxGuy
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

That's great we've got some FairTax supporters here and it all depends on when this thing gets passed. The goal is for this current session of Congress. This can be helped if the Tax Panel recommends the FairTax as an option to the president. Boortz's FairTax Book should also help since it's coming out August 2nd. Also if the level of grassroots supports continues to grow at the rate it is I think it certainly has a solid chance at passing this session of Congress. The problem is that almost nobody knows about the FairTax and some of the basic details of what it is. Most people know about the flat tax and how that works, and most people have heard of an NRST but think it is merely like a state sales tax and is just going to be added to the current prices of products/services when that's not the case at all. The majority of people (from stats and from my experience) support this plan once the learn the details about it so the problem is the media doesn't cover things like this. Also FairTax.org isn't doing what The Swift Boat Veterans for Truth did and buy TV-spots. Perhaps they don't have enough money yet I don't know, but a few TV-spots and you have millions of more people who will know more about this.

That APT tax is some idea of one single economics professor. It doesn't even compare to the FairTax. The points of collection of the FAirTax would be a 90% reduction from the number of income tax filers are now. If this APT goes through the number of those who would have to file for this APT would increase by numbers I cannot even imagine. The rate would most likely never be a 0.3% and that would also be embedded into the costs of every item/service we purchase now much the same way companies embed their income tax and income tax compliance costs into their product. APT doesn't even have a bill, and certainly doesn't have the research credentials of the FairTax with some of the top economic minds from institutes like Harvard, MIT, Boston University, CATO Institute, Rice, etc. There are currently over 75 economists who've officially endorsed the FairTax too as you can see on their website. THe bill has currently 37 cosponsors and the largest grassroots base out of any tax reform option. The FairTax is the ONLY way to go for the best method of tax reform.
FairTaxGuy
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any other thoughts on this? Neal Boortz wrote a book on this that will be coming out on August 2nd called the FairTax book. It's been on the top sellers list and hopefully Boortz's book will do for the FairTax the same good that John O'Neil's book did for the Swift Vet's cause. It's been a best #10 best seller on Amazon.com: The FairTax Book
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to play Devils Advocate, let me run some cons I can think of. Admittedly, I have not read or studied the issue very much, just some thoughts for debate.

1. Even though I like a consumption tax, let's say we place it on large luxury items, as has been done in the past. Naturally, this is directed at the wealthy since they are the ones most likely to buy expensive boats, cars, planes and such.

Okay, so we now have a tax, a certain percentage, on large purchases. The wealthy see the tax and decide the tax is too large and simply purchase these items overseas. This actually happened a few years ago when a large tax was placed on Yachts. In the end, Yacht builders were forced to close because their products weren't being purchased. Many lost jobs and the government took in even less tax.

2. Fuel will have to be taxed as well, as it is today. This means truckers must pay more taxes than consumers just to deliver the consumer products. Will this make trucking less attractive to them? Indeed, many professions require workers to purchase “tools of the trade.” If they end up costing even more, are we discouraging people from entering necessary professions?

3. How does this play out to "sin" taxes? Currently, any who drink alcohol or use tobacco are paying a much larger rate of tax than others that use products that payers of "sin" taxes might not be using. What else could be labeled a “sin” tax and thereby be hit with an even larger tax charge?

4. Are the states willing to end their taxation of products as well? If not, then we end up actually paying more tax by still paying taxes at the city, county and state level and now have added a federal level. If corporations lose their exemptions, what incentive is there to remain and keep jobs where they are that could easily be moved overseas?

5. In the case of large corporations such as Boeing, are overseas buyers required to pay this tax as well? If so, why would they buy a more expensive aircraft from the US instead of a similar but cheaper aircraft from European builders? If not, is it still a fair tax Boeing workers have to pay when their employer isn't collecting and paying?

6. If it is a "fair" consumption tax, why is spending up to the so-called poverty level exempted and the wealthy are again penalized for spending their money? Is it really fair when some are exempted and some hit heavier? What will be the added cost of monitoring who pays up to that level and beyond? Are we creating another hungry bureaucracy that will need constant feeding?

7. Currently, the top one percent of those with wealth in our country are paying over fifty percent of taxes. Since they have a better ability to purchase “tax free” items from out of the country, doesn’t this end up placing a larger tax burden on the middle class, who doesn’t have the access to overseas “tax free” purchases?

8. What about tourism? Will those who flock to our country every year for vacations simply decide to go elsewhere to avoid paying what they will see as a prohibitive tax on their visit? Why come to Florida for Disney World when they can go to Europe or Japan, see the same things and pay less?

As much as I dislike paying an income tax as well as the IRS, I think we need a healthy debate on possible shortcomings to a “fair tax.” Every issue has two sides and as has been said for years, “the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.” Once across that fence, though, and the grass is bitter, it may be impossible to climb back over.

In the long run, this “fair tax” might end up costing us even more tax then we pay today, especially if the feds, city, county and state all place their tax on each item. Over tax an item and no one buys it anymore. No one buys, the company goes bankrupt, workers lose jobs and we have even less tax revenues necessitating the ever increasing taxes.

Just some food for thought to open a reasonable debate before jumping headlong into matters.
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fine, fair taxes. But what in the Bloody hell does it matter if our borders are not secure and we pissaway more bucks trying to make people like us than securing our own destiny and national security. Big Fg Deal.
FairTaxGuy
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewWaters wrote:
Just to play Devils Advocate, let me run some cons I can think of. Admittedly, I have not read or studied the issue very much, just some thoughts for debate.

Hi Lew, thanks for the response. As immense as this is you should take about 30 minutes and at least read the FAQ on the www.FairTax.org website. Obviously there's many hours worth of reading on there with research white papers showing how this effects every industry too but the FAQ is good for starters and covers quite a bit. I'll go ahead and post some replies to your bulleted points too though.

Quote:

1. Even though I like a consumption tax, let's say we place it on large luxury items, as has been done in the past. Naturally, this is directed at the wealthy since they are the ones most likely to buy expensive boats, cars, planes and such.

Okay, so we now have a tax, a certain percentage, on large purchases. The wealthy see the tax and decide the tax is too large and simply purchase these items overseas. This actually happened a few years ago when a large tax was placed on Yachts. In the end, Yacht builders were forced to close because their products weren't being purchased. Many lost jobs and the government took in even less tax.

The FairTax NRST is placed on ALL new items and services. That's the beauty of this is that there's no exemptions made so there are no special interests. The majority lobbyists are in D.C. specifically for achieving special tax breaks and this is gone. So this doesn't single out and attack the "wealthy" as an excise tax on yachts do. Furthermore, yacht makers, manufactured home builders, to automobile manufacturers, to your local baker will hugely benefit under the FairTax by removing all their income taxes, and income tax compliance costs. Subsequently they will lower their prices making it basically a wash. People argue that companies will want to just pocket the extra profits but businesses charge as much as they have to attain profit margins, businesses also don't pay taxes only people do so they embed all these costs of taxes into their product prices. If they decide not to lower prices when the FairTax is immediately passed competition will force this to occur.

This income tax compliance industry is also very significant. It is estimated that Americans waste upwards of $500 Billion and nearly 10 billion hours every single year just to comply with the tax code of 60,000 pages (in which the bible doesn't even come close to being this long). The IRS also costs us $11 Billion every year and that number has been steadily increasing. There is also $315-$353 BILLION in uncollected taxes the IRS leaves behind. The current system simply does not work and our founding fathers stated this was the case if we were taxed on income. The original income tax was also NOTHING like the mess it is today.

Quote:
2. Fuel will have to be taxed as well, as it is today. This means truckers must pay more taxes than consumers just to deliver the consumer products. Will this make trucking less attractive to them? Indeed, many professions require workers to purchase “tools of the trade.” If they end up costing even more, are we discouraging people from entering necessary professions?

Nope, same goes with the oil industry. Removing their income tax and compliance costs allows them to lower prices. Also business purchases are FairTax free. So trucking companies who buy their trucks, the fuel, pay $0 in the FairTax. Have a look at the research paper Oil and Gas.

Quote:
3. How does this play out to "sin" taxes? Currently, any who drink alcohol or use tobacco are paying a much larger rate of tax than others that use products that payers of "sin" taxes might not be using. What else could be labeled a “sin” tax and thereby be hit with an even larger tax charge?

The FairTax has no effect on excise taxes. It only removes ALL taxes on income. So sin taxes wouldn't be effected, however these companies are also benefited the same way in not having to pay any income tax compliance costs, and the income tax which they embed into their product prices.

Quote:

4. Are the states willing to end their taxation of products as well? If not, then we end up actually paying more tax by still paying taxes at the city, county and state level and now have added a federal level. If corporations lose their exemptions, what incentive is there to remain and keep jobs where they are that could easily be moved overseas?

Why would the states have to end their taxation of products? 7 states currently have FairTax similar system where they raise much of the revenue from a state sales tax and the state has no income tax. They are some of the best economies in the nation if not the world, as well as lower overall tax burdens to their residents. In fact FL and TAX are one of the largest economies in the whole world. TX and FL also are only 43rd and 44th on the listing of states most burdened by taxes.

Also read over the research paper http://www.fairtax.org/pdfs/State_and_local_FairTax.pdf

Quote:
5. In the case of large corporations such as Boeing, are overseas buyers required to pay this tax as well? If so, why would they buy a more expensive aircraft from the US instead of a similar but cheaper aircraft from European builders? If not, is it still a fair tax Boeing workers have to pay when their employer isn't collecting and paying?

The FairTax actually makes US companies more competitive overseas. Exports are not subject to the FairTax because they are not consummed in the US while imports ARE subject to the FairTax because they are consumed in the states. This will greatly help to reverse our trade deficit that currently favors imported goods much more than exported items. In fact companies will be wanting to come HERE and create jobs. Princeton Economics dept. conducted a survey of 500 European and Asian companies and 400 of them said they would build their next factory here in the US if this system was adopted, 100 said they would move their headquarters to the US.

Quote:

6. If it is a "fair" consumption tax, why is spending up to the so-called poverty level exempted and the wealthy are again penalized for spending their money? Is it really fair when some are exempted and some hit heavier? What will be the added cost of monitoring who pays up to that level and beyond? Are we creating another hungry bureaucracy that will need constant feeding?

The monthly paid in advance rebate (prebate) is one of the aspects of the system that makes it fair, it creates progressivity. If a "wealthy" family of four who earns a $1 million decides to spend every single penny on new goods and services they pay a 22.9% rate. If they only consume a total of ~$26k (HHS established poverty limit for a married couple with two children) they pay a $0 tax rate. Much like the poor family of four who only earns $26,000 and cannot afford a 23% rate when they must spend all $26k for items essential to living. As you can see it is fair since based on your spending your rate effectly increases. If your "rich" person decides to spend all their accumulated wealth on brand new goods and services than they should have this 22.9% rate, which is a pittance compared to what their income tax would be anyways.

There is no costs of monitoring anything because based on your family size THAT is the rebate amount you will get, no tracking or receipts and this and that garbage. This is the most fair and easy way to bring progressivity to an NRST. You can see this is truly a non-partisan effort.

Quote:

7. Currently, the top one percent of those with wealth in our country are paying over fifty percent of taxes. Since they have a better ability to purchase “tax free” items from out of the country, doesn’t this end up placing a larger tax burden on the middle class, who doesn’t have the access to overseas “tax free” purchases?

No, you can see this is not the case from previous points mentioned. The FairTax rate as is revenue neutral. It will likely also go down when instituted and all of this was taken into account from static and dynamic studies on this system. Foreign purchases are not any cheaper considering most use a VAT which greatly ADDS to the cost of a product since they tax the sale of the good at EVERY SINGLE STAGE of production, in addition to the income tax. The tax panel is currently considering a VAT to be included on top of the income tax so you better starting contacting them and recommending the FairTax instead. The FairTax is a result of years of research from Americas top economists including Harvard Economics Dept. Chair Dale Jorgenson, Larry Kotlikoff of Boston U., Dave Burton of the CATO Institute, Jim POterba of MIT (currently on the tax panel), and many others. There are also over 75 economists who have publically endorsed the FairTax. You can view them all here: http://www.fairtax.org/pdfs/Open_Letter_President.pdf

Quote:
8. What about tourism? Will those who flock to our country every year for vacations simply decide to go elsewhere to avoid paying what they will see as a prohibitive tax on their visit? Why come to Florida for Disney World when they can go to Europe or Japan, see the same things and pay less?

That is one of the best things about the FairTax is that it's allowing the tax base to be broadened by taxing consumption which is a much larger part of the economy than income. When tourists visit (we visit VAT countries and pay this outrageous price) our country finally they will be contributing to the costs of running our country as they are consuming goods while in our country. As mentioned before the price drop aspect will also make this a non-issue with everybody including tourists. As I mentioned, has this stopped anyone from visiting a country with a VAT that adds more costs (and hides it from everybody) than the FairTax would?

Quote:

As much as I dislike paying an income tax as well as the IRS, I think we need a healthy debate on possible shortcomings to a “fair tax.” Every issue has two sides and as has been said for years, “the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.” Once across that fence, though, and the grass is bitter, it may be impossible to climb back over.

Healthy debates have come and gone for 10 years and the FairTax wins hands down every single time. Don't just listen to me, read about it for yourself. Buy Boortz's book about this, spend the time I took replying to your message in reading a little bit more about the FairTax. Everyone I've personally spoke to about this loves this once they learn the details about it, and really only about 30% of people actually like this system before learning more about it. It's because it's just so simple and it works, and it is most importantly FAIR.

Quote:

In the long run, this “fair tax” might end up costing us even more tax then we pay today, especially if the feds, city, county and state all place their tax on each item. Over tax an item and no one buys it anymore. No one buys, the company goes bankrupt, workers lose jobs and we have even less tax revenues necessitating the ever increasing taxes.

Just some food for thought to open a reasonable debate before jumping headlong into matters.

In the long run what are the costs to Americans if the FairTax is NOT instated? $5 trillion in income tax compliance? A $50 Billion IRS with 10x it's current 105,000 employees? A tax gap exceeding a few trillion which is expected to occur? More revisions to the tax code in which 14,000 have been made since 1986 when essentially a "flat tax" was adopted? A compliance burden much greater than the current 30x that small business bear vs. the larger corporations? When studies have shown a GDP increase predicted to average a 10.5% gain within the first year, and a slightly smaller but steady gains from there on out, this is something that has an extremely beneficial LONG-TERM effect for Americans. This was all icing on the cake for me after I initially learned that GROSS PAY = NET PAY. Thanks again for the response though and hopefully I've answered some of your questions and you will take some time to read abou this and all the research put into it at www.FairTax.org! Smile
carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My real fear with any consumption based tax is that we'll eventually end up with both a consumption tax and the income tax to boot.(see Europe)

Politicians can never have enough money, it seems. The first time consumer buying goes down, some sweetheart will scream to increase the percentage , the products taxed or reinstitute an income tax.

Instead, I prefer a flat tax with the percentage to be determined , but with exemptions of (pick a figure) say $40, 000 to protect the working poor.

Just some rough thoughts.
FairTaxGuy
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi carpro,

Thanks for the reply. I had just written out a long reply to your post but when I submitted the post it didn't go through, hit the back button and now it's gone! Shocked Boy I hate goin back to dialup from having broadband! Well here goes again....

carpro wrote:
My real fear with any consumption based tax is that we'll eventually end up with both a consumption tax and the income tax to boot.(see Europe)

The problem is that the Euro-style consumption tax (VAT) is nothing similar to the FairTax and also no other country has abolished their income tax when instituting their other form of consumption tax, none of which has ever been like the FairTax.

It is also easier, and far more likely, that you will see politicians currently enact some form of consumption tax to be placed in addition to the current income tax mess. The FairTax abolishes all of the taxes on income and nobody who benefits from the FairTax (which is mainly everyone besides the lobbyists, politician's pockets, and the underground economy) would allow 1913 to happen again after benefiting from the FairTax.

Quote:
Politicians can never have enough money, it seems. The first time consumer buying goes down, some sweetheart will scream to increase the percentage , the products taxed or reinstitute an income tax.

Sure, politicians would be able to change the rate just like they currently do all the time to the income taxes. You want them to be able to do so if/when spending is cut the FairTax rate can also fall to still be revenue neutral. At least with the FairTax if the rate IS raised because spending increases, than EVERYBODY knows about it. Even the kid who buys a pack of gum will see it. The federal gov't will be held more accountable finally as revenue increases won't be hidden in some 60,000 page mess of an internal revenue code. And no longer will businesses be able to just pass these costs onto the consumer by embedding them into their product or service prices since businesses don't pay taxes, only people do.

Quote:
Instead, I prefer a flat tax with the percentage to be determined , but with exemptions of (pick a figure) say $40, 000 to protect the working poor.

I too supported the flat tax before I learned about the FairTax. Plus we essentially had a "flat tax" from the '86 tax reforms but look at the mess it transformed itself back into in less than 20 years. The flat tax rate you usually hear about is 17% but they ALWAYS neglect to mention the payroll taxes, which is still another 7.65% deducted from your paycheck, and still another 7.65% deducted on the employers end which many economists believe would have gone to our wages. Nor does the flat tax get rid of filing a return, the IRS, and the hundreds of billions wasted on compliance.

The FairTax is the only way to go, please read more about it at www.FairTax.org
TexAsh
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carpro wrote:
My real fear with any consumption based tax is that we'll eventually end up with both a consumption tax and the income tax to boot.

It seems to me that, since corporate taxes are simply hidden and passed on to consumers in the form of higher prices, we already have both an income tax and a sales tax.

Why not just show the American people exactly what our government costs us at the bottom of every receipt?
Answer: Congress does not want to relinquish the power to exchange tax loopholes for campaign contributions.

In my mind, the #1 reason for the FairTax is to take a giant first step toward restoring Constitutional government and statesmanship in this country.

You owe it to yourself to know more:
www.myfairtax.org
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carpro wrote:

Just some rough thoughts.

Carpo your point of being wary of any tax system because of government fical irresponsibility is seconded. Although, we could do away with a certain agency which deals in taxes. No need to mention their name. I personally do not feel like 4 or 5 audits in a row.
blue9t3
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taxes Crying or Very sad we dond need no stinking taxes! Lets start by not giving tax returns to people who paid nothing. I try not to sweat the small shirt but ya gotta start somewhere! Wink
DLI78
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhantomSgt:

Quote:
I ... have nothing to show for it except the knowledge I paid for a Mark 82 to drop on some terrorists somewhere.

Solving the tax problem is above my pay grade. I get to vote for the senators and congress critters who decide tax policy despite common sense and the wishes of the majority.

That said, thanks for the one ray of sunshine in the tax issue. I'm kinda glad I got to contribute to a Mark 82 to drop on some terrorists. Maybe this year's taxes will go for the one that gets those rat bastards who bombed London.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: