SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kerry's secret plan on Iraq

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fortdixlover
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject: Kerry's secret plan on Iraq Reply with quote

From http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/006730.php :

In an interview with the Ron Fournier of the Associated Press yesterday, John Kerry promised to withdraw American soldiers from "the death zone" in Iraq during his first term while preserving American interests there: "Kerry could back antiabortion judge." ( http://www.boston.com/news/politics/president/kerry/articles/2004/05/20/kerry_could_back_antiabortion_judge/ )

... Kerry's Iraq "plan" sounds a little like the secret plan Richard Nixon campaigned on in 1968 to resolve America's involvement in the Vietnam war:

If elected, Kerry said, he will see that virtually all US combat troops will be out of Iraq, away from what he called "the death zone," by the end of his first term...

The message is clear, folks," he said. "We're going to make America stronger at home by being fiscally responsible, investing in health care and education, becoming energy independent, and we're going to make ourselves stronger in the world by restoring America's respect and influence with a better foreign policy. It's that simple."

Kerry said Bush has damaged relations with allies to the point that only a new president can repair them. The problem is evident in Iraq, said the decorated Vietnam War veteran. "It will not be like Vietnam," Kerry said. "I will get our troops home from Iraq with honor and with the interests of our country properly protected."

How soon? "It will not take long to do what is necessary," he said. "I'm not going to give you a specific date, but I'll tell you that I have a plan, and I will put that plan in place."

Republican Richard M. Nixon used similar language during the 1968 presidential race, but the war dragged on for years after his election. Kerry said his goal would be achieved in his first term.

Matters are sufficiently complex in Iraq that Kerry's commitment to withdraw American forces must necessarily have harmed American interests there already. It's that simple.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: