SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

National Geographic on 9/11 (Able Danger?)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: National Geographic on 9/11 (Able Danger?) Reply with quote

Did anyone watch this Special??
National Geographic has produced a 4-Part Special on 9/11.
Parts 1 & 2 aired Sunday and Monday.
I didn't see it, but a reader at TKS sent Jim Geraghty this transcription of a section that refers to Able Danger.
I'm wondering is this THE CHART that is supposedly now missing, or was this just a re-enactment for the this Special.

http://tks.nationalreview.com/archives/073883.asp

Quote:
TKS [ jim geraghty reporting ]
[ home | archives | email ]

WHAT THE NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC SPECIAL SAID

TKS reader Stan recorded the National Geographic special on 9/11, and he transcribed the section that seemed to be referring to Able Danger:

“AT THIS AIR FORCE BASE IN TAMPA (Picture of Entrance Gate to MacDill Air Force Base), MEMBERS OF THE U.S. ARMY SPECIAL OPERATIONS COMMAND ARE REVIEWING AN UNUSUAL CHART THAT REPORTEDLY IDENTIFIES BOTH ATTA (picture ID of Atta shown) AND AL-SHEHHI (picture ID of Al-Shehhi shown) AS LIKELY MEMBERS OF AN AL-QAEDA TERROR CELL OPERATING WITHIN THE U.S. THE OFFICIALS DECIDE THEY CANNOT PASS THIS INFORMATION ALONG TO THE FBI, IN PART BECAUSE THE MEN ARE HOLDING VALID U.S. VISAS AND MAY BE OFF LIMITS FROM INTELLIGENCE GATHERING BY THE MILITARY.” The next segment discussed terrorist training camps in Kandahar, Afghanistan.

Thanks, Stan.

[Posted 08/23 02:26 AM]

“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
Deuce
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shawa,

Yes, I caught Part 2 last nite [during the Cubbie game]....Time Warner in Orlando area carried it on the 'TV Guide' channel in lieu thereof, since we don't have the Nat'l Geographic channel. So they didn't pre-empt any regular programming (unless you can call TV guide same). The parts I watched were of course riveting, and had a lot of fill where 30-second sound bites were what we normally saw during the news coverage following 9/11/2001. Even the saner of the liberals who watch this special would tone down their current rhetoric I'm sure of it. You can't watch it and not understand that we are at war...and who the enemy is, etc. Just 1 or 2 left handed compliments on Bush' reactions to detract from otherwise well done coverage. It's good to see that perhaps this 9/11 we won't relegate the War against Islamoterrorists to the back pages...

As to your question, yes they did show 'a chart' with Atta and others on it. along with some of the sound tapes of Atta and other pilots making their insane comments (which they thought were being broadcast back to the passengers, but instead were going out over the airwaves). Apparently, the cockpit recorders have not yet been 'declassified'. To be honest, I don't remember specificly what was said about Able Danger on that show.

I recommend the special to all who can take the time to watch it. My only complaint is there's a minor touch of Blair Witch Projectitis in it as the editing jumps around from plane to plane and onto the ground....perhaps in some sense of chronological order, minute by minute, but that's a small complaint and was good to timeline the whole show with current interviews with those at the WTC/Pentagon at the time. Some of the heroes....and wives of heroes....

Deuce
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw it too last night and thought it was fantastic. Fair and respectful. Very powerful ending. Didn't know it was 4 parts...

I wish I had seen the part you are asking about, I missed it.
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also - It must have been a re-enactment? Weldon also had one.
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for verifying, I wondered if the trancript was right.
Sorry, I misunderstood. It was a 2 part not a 4 part special. Darn, I was hoping to see 3 and 4.

Jim Geraghty posts a couple other comments he got. They all say it was apparently Able Danger that was referred to in the movie. Remember LTC Shaffer said he delivered the chart to SOCOM in Tampa.

http://tks.nationalreview.com/
Quote:
TKS [ jim geraghty reporting ]
[ home | archives | email ]

DID THE NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC SPECIAL ON 9/11 REFER TO ABLE DANGER?

This is interesting. I don't get the National Geographic channel out here, but more than one TKS reader has e-mailed in, reporting that Part One of the two-part NG special on 9/11 made a reference to what sounded like Able Danger.

Reader SK puts it:

They made an oblique reference to Able Danger. They state quite clearly that sources at McDill had identified some of the hijackers and were unable to pursue due to operational constraints of the DIA and CIA operating on US soil. Sure sounded like a description of Able Danger to me. Able Danger was a spec ops operation so it would have been run out of McDill. I would like to know more about NG's source for this info and whether they could flesh out any more info on this subject.

And DD remembers the gist of the wording:

In a bit about the various hijackers taking flight training, the show mentions in passing that at the same time, military intelligence analysts at McDill AFB (if I remember correctly) were "looking at a chart that identified Atta and [another hijacker whose name I can't remember - either proving or disproving Mark Steyn's point] as likely members of al-Saeda. They felt they could not share the information with the FBI at least in part because the men had valid visas..."
I would note that in an account to the New York Times, a former defense intelligence official (which we can now pretty safely assume is Tony Shaffer), said that he himself had “delivered the chart in the summer of 2000 to the Special Operations Command headquarters, in Tampa, Fla., and said it had been based on information drawn from unclassified sources and government records, including those of the Immigration and Naturalization Service.” Special Operations Command Central is located at MacDill Air Force Base,
Tampa, Florida.

From the transcript:

Quote:

“AT THIS AIR FORCE BASE IN TAMPA (Picture of Entrance Gate to MacDill Air Force Base), MEMBERS OF THE U.S. ARMY SPECIAL OPERATIONS COMMAND ARE REVIEWING AN UNUSUAL CHART THAT REPORTEDLY IDENTIFIES BOTH ATTA (picture ID of Atta shown) AND AL-SHEHHI (picture ID of Al-Shehhi shown) AS LIKELY MEMBERS OF AN AL-QAEDA TERROR CELL OPERATING WITHIN THE U.S. THE OFFICIALS DECIDE THEY CANNOT PASS THIS INFORMATION ALONG TO THE FBI, IN PART BECAUSE THE MEN ARE HOLDING VALID U.S. VISAS AND MAY BE OFF LIMITS FROM INTELLIGENCE GATHERING BY THE MILITARY.”

Isn't it something that National Geographic felt this was important enough to put in their movie, but the 911 Commission didn't find it important that Gorelick's Wall kept them from getting the chart to the FBI!!

Maybe National Geographic will run it again. Please POST IT if anyone hears about a rerun.
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
wwIIvetsdaughter
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've commented on Part I before and what I picked up an Able Danger reference from Part II. There was footage I had never seen before 1) the patio area between WTC 1 and WTC 2 strewn with debris while the Towers were stil burning. Muzak was playing in the background. 2) A last ditch attempt by a poor soul to climb down WTC 1. This was the person who waved a coat/tablecloth wildly to attract attention 3) the special closed with footage of OBL talking to a foreign reporter as US bombs hit fairly closeby. The reporter asks what is the difference between you and the United States? OBL replies (turning towards the sound of the blast and probably somewhat rattled by it) " We love death and the United States loves Life."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: