SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Diners have sweet surprise for soldier and girlfriend

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:15 am    Post subject: Diners have sweet surprise for soldier and girlfriend Reply with quote

After reading last weeks account of two Soldiers being severely beaten in the Seattle area, finding this story makes my heart glad.

Quote:
Diners have sweet surprise for soldier, girlfriend
By Susan Gilmore
Seattle Times staff reporter

When Chris Yanez wanted to take his girlfriend out for a special dinner to celebrate their one-year anniversary, he chose the venerable restaurant Canlis, perched high above Lake Union.

Yanez, a soldier returning from Iraq, knew the dinner would be pricey. What he didn't expect is that it would be free. And he also didn't expect that when he walked out, the place would be in tears.

Rest of Story
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a great story Lew.
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know why it is because Thanksgiving Day as an idea had been around for some time but it was 1863, the us army lay prostrate before Missionary Ridge at Chattanooga when Lincoln signed off on the national holiday, Thanksgiving Day.

Before the end of the extended weekend the confederates were in full rout with no chance to recover. More than Vicksburg or Gettysburg, Chattanooga was the end of the Confederacy!

Turkey Day is the great and unique US HOLIDAY that aggravates the natives, excites the no-nothings and shares nothing with european sensiblities.

And, it is Turkeyday that brings out the remonstrative, pro-americans.

However undeserving I was and have been strangers took me in, introduced their families, abused my knowledge of weaponry, corrected my sense of US war dead and all agreed on the enemy, especially the enemy that was within our grasp. Whether it was HongKong, Korea, Edo. or Manila they wanted us there more than the US Government.

-Wlm Shakespeare
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only than God that there are still Americans who appreciate our neighbors, sons and daughters in uniform.
The people who inspired this article show that paitiotism hasn't died in the USA.
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good one. Thanks Lew.
Good one to send around.

Dusty
Deuce
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lew,
That is and will remain special...just when I was about to give up on Seattle, which I really didn't want to do. You have made a couple of discoveries...Who'd a thunk the Seattle Times was up to the task! The city paper has a heart after all....and Now I can return 'kayaking Lake Union' back to 'good memories' where it belongs!
I thank you for posting that, I owe you! oh, and Dusty, I'll second that, the article is on its way to the kids as I speak!

Deuce
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: