SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Noble Cause....Wish Bush had said this...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rparrott21
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Noble Cause....Wish Bush had said this... Reply with quote

eak: Draft of Bush Answer to Cindy Sheehan
by Scott Ott

(2005-08-24) -- An internal White House memo, leaked today, indicates how President George Bush initially planned to address Cindy Sheehan's question: What "noble cause" did my son die for?

The draft memo includes suggestions from White House communications staff, followed by several paragraphs apparently handwritten by the president.

While handwriting experts from CBS News continue to pore over the document to verify its authenticity, here is the text of the president's alleged response to the grieving Mom whose protest has captured the hearts of America's journalists.

Dear Mrs. Sheehan,

You have asked me to identify the noble cause for which your son died. I have not answered you personally out of respect for the nobility of your son's sacrifice.

Being president forces me into the spotlight, but I would rather stand in the shadows of men like Casey Sheehan.

Directing national attention on my response to your protest creates a distraction from what matters. The focus of our attention, and our admiration, should rest on people like Casey Sheehan, who stand in the breach when evil threatens to break out and consume a helpless people.

The running story on the news networks should be the valiant efforts of our troops -- the merchants of mercy who export freedom and import honor. They trade their own lives for the sake of others.

As a result, we live in a nation where a woman can camp outside of the president's house and verbally attack the president for weeks on end without fear of prison, torture or death. And the number of nations where such protest is possible has multiplied thanks to the work of our military.

You ask for what noble cause your son died?

In a sense he died so that people like you, who passionately oppose government policies, can freely express that opposition. As you camp in Crawford, you should take off your shoes, for you stand on holy ground. This land was bought with the blood of men like your son.

Now, 25 million Iraqis cry out to enjoy the life you take for granted. Most of them will never use their freedom to denigrate the sacrifice of those who paid for it. But once liberty is enshrined in law, they will be free to do so. And when the Iraqis finally escape their incarceration, hope will spread throughout that enslaved region of the world, eventually making us all safer and more free.

The key is in the lock of the prison door. Bold men risk everything to turn it.

Mrs. Sheehan, everyone dies. But few experience the bittersweet glory of death with a purpose -- death that sets people free and produces ripples of liberty hundreds of years into the future.

Casey Sheehan died that freedom might triumph over bondage, hope over despair, prosperity over misery. He died restoring justice and mercy. He lived and died to help to destroy the last stubborn vestiges of the Dark Ages.

To paraphrase President Lincoln, the world will little note nor long remember what you and I say here. But it can never forget what Casey Sheehan did during his brief turn on earth. If we are wise, we will take increased devotion to that cause for which he gave the last full measure of devotion.

Our brave warriors have blazed a trail. They have entrusted the completion of the task to those of us they left behind. Let's, you and I, resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain.

Let's finish the work that they have thus far so nobly advanced.

Sincerely,
George W. Bush
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In a sense he died so that people like you, who passionately oppose government policies, can freely express that opposition. As you camp in Crawford, you should take off your shoes, for you stand on holy ground. This land was bought with the blood of men like your son.

Now, 25 million Iraqis cry out to enjoy the life you take for granted. Most of them will never use their freedom to denigrate the sacrifice of those who paid for it. But once liberty is enshrined in law, they will be free to do so. And when the Iraqis finally escape their incarceration, hope will spread throughout that enslaved region of the world, eventually making us all safer and more free.

Powerful stuff, wish we had a prez who would actually say something like this. Many conservative writers have been saying Bush should come out and say things similar to this to raise the patriotic mood of America and I agree.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the president has said this - different words, but there was no mistaking his intent. Wink
GenrXr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navy_Navy_Navy wrote:
Actually, the president has said this - different words, but there was no mistaking his intent. Wink

I want to hear what politicians are afraid to say! I want to hear what we think and say in conversation. Smile
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's his most recent speech:
Text of President's Speech

A snippet:
Quote:
There are few things in life more difficult than seeing a loved one go off to war. And here in Idaho, a mom named Tammy Pruett --

(applause) -- I think she's here -- (laughter) -- knows that feeling six times over. (Applause.) Tammy has four sons serving in Iraq right now with the Idaho National Guard -- Eric, Evan, Greg and Jeff. Last year, her husband Leon and another son, Eren, returned from Iraq, where they helped train Iraqi firefighters in Mosul. Tammy says this -- and I want you to hear this -- "I know that if something happens to one of the boys, they would leave this world doing what they believe, what they think is right for our country. And I guess you couldn't ask for a better way of life than giving it for something that you believe in." America lives in freedom because of families like the Pruetts.

Right on Pruett's! We're grateful to you and love you! Lord, please protect all of our men and women in harm's way.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget, anything said by Bush to Sheehan and her band of loons will be twisted and focus placed on what they are saying is failures there. Sheehan herself has said she really doesn't want Bush to speak with her. If he did, she has received what she initially asked for and has no reason to keep her deathwatch up.

The words above and true and powerful, but in the hands of the crafty communist inspired loons alongside this woman, they just get twisted and misrepresented. Never forget how these dope smoking hippies aligned themselves with the communist North Vietnamese and anything said or done by pro-freedom (not pro-war) advocates was twisted to make our efforts in South Vietnam look like we were the agressors and war criminals.

I think Bush is doing what he needs to do, not directly addressing any of them and prosecuting this liberation best he is able. If the truth about our successes there would get reported, maybe you would see far different poll numbers.
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said, Lew.
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
Stevie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is that really a draft of a Bush letter ? or someone's version of what they would like him to say ?
be arrested, exiled or hanged.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As you camp in Crawford, you should take off your shoes, for you stand on holy ground.

This one line suggests to me that this is just over-the-top rhetoric that SOMEONE wishes the President would say...not that I don't agree with the sentiment.

On edit: Scott Ott, the author, is the owner of "Scrappleface", a decidedly tongue-in-cheek website (not that there's anything wrong with that Smile )
jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me#1You#10 wrote:
Quote:
As you camp in Crawford, you should take off your shoes, for you stand on holy ground.

This one line suggests to me that this is just over-the-top rhetoric that SOMEONE wishes the President would say...not that I don't agree with the sentiment.

On edit: Scott Ott, the author, is the owner of "Scrappleface", a decidedly tongue-in-cheek website (not that there's anything wrong with that Smile )

The exact article is archived here:
http://www.scrappleface.com/MT/archives/002289.html

When I read that (I check the site daily), I had the same sentiments as the rest of us. Fortunately for you people, I'm not presidential material, because I don't think it's over the top at all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: