SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where are the Louisiana elected officials?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ohio Voter
PO2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:22 am    Post subject: Where are the Louisiana elected officials? Reply with quote

Anyone know where the Louisiana elected officials are? I heard on the news that the mayor is conducting business from one of the nearby cities, Baton Rouge maybe. I have not seen any Louisiana officials helping on the streets. The people are pitiful, black and white alike, babies are dieing from heat and dehydration.

But the Democrats are busy blaming President Bush for not being there. The last I heard New Orleans and Louisiana are run by Democrats. So seems to me they are failing in their job and trying to place blame on a Republican president.

I don't understand why a truck can't take food and water to the convention center and the Superdome. Or an airplane drop it on the airport runway. If the media can get there why can't they carry water and food?

And where are the buses?

Corruption is still alive and well in New Orleans.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't understand why a truck can't take food and water to the convention center and the Superdome.

This disaster actually transcends politics. Democrat or Republican, local government needs to be present and in charge. Without them, we will continue seeing the looting and shooting at rescuers.

Even though it may be a small group of thugs shooting and looting, how does a rescue crew know who is who until it's too late?

People there need to make some hard and difficult decisions. It may be difficult, but they could possibly walk out of there, if healthy enough. Demanding someone else come feed you and rescue you only goes so far. As we learned in the military, self reliance comes into play, and that doesn't mean looting, gouging prices, hampering rescue operations (possibly to steal the supplies and sell them back at an inflated price) or sitting back demanding someone else do for you.

Those sitting on their porch complaining about dead neighbors and no one coming for them, get your shovel out and bury them, marking the spot. If for no other reason, sanitation.

Sometimes, you just have to take care of yourself until help arrives.
LimaCharlie
PO2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me of about twenty-five years ago when Louisiana spent millions to build a new state-of-the art emergency management control center in the basement of the capitol building in Baton Rouge. Of course, their first emergency was a flood.
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen them on the news today still blubbering and not leading
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewWaters wrote:
Quote:
I don't understand why a truck can't take food and water to the convention center and the Superdome.

This disaster actually transcends politics. Democrat or Republican, local government needs to be present and in charge. Without them, we will continue seeing the looting and shooting at rescuers.

Even though it may be a small group of thugs shooting and looting, how does a rescue crew know who is who until it's too late?

People there need to make some hard and difficult decisions. It may be difficult, but they could possibly walk out of there, if healthy enough. Demanding someone else come feed you and rescue you only goes so far. As we learned in the military, self reliance comes into play, and that doesn't mean looting, gouging prices, hampering rescue operations (possibly to steal the supplies and sell them back at an inflated price) or sitting back demanding someone else do for you.

Those sitting on their porch complaining about dead neighbors and no one coming for them, get your shovel out and bury them, marking the spot. If for no other reason, sanitation.

Sometimes, you just have to take care of yourself until help arrives.

Well said Lew. On the dead bodies I wonder if they might end up having to do what they did in Galveston 1901. Burn them.
Ohio Voter
PO2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree, we should all just be Americans, not democrats or republicans. I have heard media reporters interview those politicizing the rescue, including Al Sharpton and some CNN commentators. Of course the Slate news article is being quoted on CNN. If you haven't heard it, someone at Slate has brought race into the mix saying if this happened in a white neighborhood....yada yada yada.

That is why I am asking where the New Orleans and Louisiana officials are? I haven't seen them. The only one that seems to get any blame for the suffering is President Bush, FEMA, and the Iraq war.

I did finally see a New Orleans citizen ask were the local government is.

LewWaters wrote:
Quote:

homesteader
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Their whole concept of governance for everyday life is based on dependence on the Federal Government, is it any surprise that is where they look when the unusual happens?

Except for the post hurricane flooding, the infrastucture of N O fared much better than farthur east where everything was flattened. I would bet that Mississippi is going to get things back together much faster under Haley Barber than LA under whats-her-name.
Ohio Voter
PO2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I know. I am wondering if the media thinks the whole world begins and ends in New Orleans. You would think from the news that NO is the only town in need of help. And if the federal government didn't send all the help to New Orleans then it must be because the residents there are 65% black. Twisted Evil [tongue in cheek]

homesteader wrote:
When Their whole concept of governance for everyday life is based on dependence on the Federal Government, is it any surprise that is where they look when the unusual happens?

Except for the post hurricane flooding, the infrastucture of N O fared much better than farthur east where everything was flattened. I would bet that Mississippi is going to get things back together much faster under Haley Barber than LA under whats-her-name.
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gov. of La. needs to keep hiding out. She's gonna get mobbed if she sticks her head up. As well she should.
Haven't seen her since Tuesday. Don't ya'll reckon the new media have been trying to get her on tv? But she's a no show. You screw up that bad, you better run and hide.
That's my home state folks. I now live in Texas and damn glad I moved across the river 30 some years ago. What a difference a river can make.

Dusty
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: