SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More on the Army Corp of Engineers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: More on the Army Corp of Engineers Reply with quote

Well, I am watching the Army Corp of Engineers again on tv.
And I'm still watching dumb stuff.
What we are seeing, it appears to me is a land based construction mentality trying to function in a marine construction envirionment. I've done plenty of both
The guy on tv is saying what I already knew about the canals leading to the sites of the breaks. That there are road bridges across the canals that block access to the breach areas from the canals.
I am going to suggest....so what? When faced with the city being flooded so that the bridges will be useless anyway, get rid of the bridges so marine based equip. can get to the job site. The same pile driving rig on a barge that will drive the pilings can make short work of moving a few bridges out of the way as it progresses up the canal. Once the city is saved, rebuild the damn bridges. To me, that should have been obvous.
I repeat what I have said in earlier posts, the only way to seal a breach like this is to drive pilings to backstop whatever you drop into the breach or you are deafeting your efforts before you even start. And I know the materials and the equip. was readily available locally in the area. Sure it's all privately owned but what the hey, you're the damn government. Commendeer the stuff and get the job done.
That's why I am seriously questioning the experience and even the intelligence levels of those in charge of this project. All of what I'm saying should have been obvious, and even instinctive at the decision making levels.
So now, they are attempting to block the canals at their mouths so no more water can come into them.
They are blocking the only access they will have to some of these areas for a long time. That is from the water. Dry land based construction mentality over marine based experience strikes once again.
This is really blowing me away.
I guess if the Corp of Engineers is tasked to drive a piling cluster for a ship tie up offshore they will have to build a road out to it first.
Makes me really wonder if any of these guys have ever even seen or heard of spud barges.
Now some will say that I don't know because I'm not there. I can tell you that I've been there in New Orleans many times and built many seawalls, bulkheads and piling clusters. A few done from dry ground but most from spud barges on the water side. A spud barge only draws 24" to 36".
And this is not Monday morning quarterbacking just from me. A lot of guys with marine construction experience have I'm quite sure been going nuts watching this take place ever since the first levy breach.
I just want eveyone here to know what the options open to the Corp were and let you look at what they did. Make up your own minds about their competence levels.
I know what I think.
I really hate to point fingers myself and I'm not saying I'm all that smart because I surely am not but I am just totally incensed at the loss of life, pain and suffering because of incompetence and obvious lack of real experience that is evident here. Too much time in the books and not enough time on the equipment maybe. I don't know.
To not allow the city to flood was paramount to avoiding this tragedy.
I'll try not to write on this subject anymore.

Dusty
Tanya
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mvn.usace.army.mil/pao/releases/bridges.HTM

June 3, 1999
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Corps floodproofing 10 New Orleans bridges
1999 is biggest year for these key hurricane-protection projects
NEW ORLEANS --

"The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, New Orleans District, will begin construction this summer on two bridges to improve hurricane protection in New Orleans' Lakeview section.

Beginning late in July, the Filmore and Harrison Avenue bridges will be closed for rebuilding to accomplish floodproofing. This permits vital roadways, now sandbagged during a storm, to remain open.

This is floodproofing's biggest year, with construction beginning on five bridges. In all, 10 bridges are being floodproofed along three drainage canals in Orleans and Jefferson parishes. Total cost is about $25 million.

Floodproofing of bridges is an indispensable portion of the four-parish, $732-million Lake Pontchartrain and Vicinity Hurricane Protection Project. It is being built by the Corps and four levee boards, in Orleans, Jefferson, St. Bernard and St. Charles pa

In floodproofing, the original bridge is demolished. Each replacement bridge will have steep, concrete sides. This continues the floodwall from one side of the canal to the other.

The two Lakeview bridges span the Orleans Avenue Canal, which lies between Lakeview and City Park. Angelo Iafrate Construction has a $2.36 million contract for the two-lane bridges."

more at above link:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: