SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does This Disturb You?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:32 am    Post subject: Does This Disturb You? Reply with quote

The following is a photo that was published in the Manachi Newspaper in Japan. This is another example of the Insensitive Japanese not being concerned with the image they project. I am sure the millions of Asians and Americans who were subjected to abuse by the Imperial Army Occupations feel the same as if Nazi Uniforms were worn through the streets of Berlin today.

LINK HERE: http://mdn.mainichi-msn.co.jp/photospecials/graph/050815yasukuni/1.html

Get a Clue Japan!

Cool Cool Cool

Independent that leans right of center.
MrJapan
PO1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Does This Disturb You? Reply with quote

PhantomSgt wrote:
The following is a photo that was published in the Manachi Newspaper in Japan. This is another example of the Insensitive Japanese not being concerned with the image they project. I am sure the millions of Asians and Americans who were subjected to abuse by the Imperial Army Occupations feel the same as if Nazi Uniforms were worn through the streets of Berlin today.

LINK HERE: http://mdn.mainichi-msn.co.jp/photospecials/graph/050815yasukuni/1.html

Get a Clue Japan!

Cool Cool Cool

Can't agree with you more! The problem is the 'right wing nationalists'... They try to get everyone worked up, but all they do is p*ss the majority of the people off.
They go around in navy blue or black trucks, vans and hummers with the rising sun flag flapping in the wind yelling and screaming at over 60bd up and down the roads all the time. Sometimes they will stop at a large market area or at a park and start to lecture on how things 'should' be. Most of the followers are yakuza types (they are business related) and young men in their early 20's who don't/didn't have any proper guidance in their childhood. I can't count the times I have almost chased one of the trucks down with a basball bat.. but they are also very violent people and very dangerous. Police won't deal with them since they are yakuza related Evil or Very Mad

MJ

Last edited by MrJapan on Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey MrJapan did you feel that earthquake there?
MrJapan
PO1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rdtf wrote:
Hey MrJapan did you feel that earthquake there?

Which one? Laughing

I am on summer vacation now... stayed on the forums/blogs until 8am this morning... so I was asleep when I felt the earthquake today (12pm)... woke me up.. was thinking (sleepily) damn, another one... wow... kinda strong.. nothing's falling.. <went back to sleep>..

kinda normality here, although ther was an alert up north for tsunami's

:/
DLI78
PO3

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Japan,

LOL. Back in 1986 or so Taiwan had a serious earthquake early in the mornng. Being from California i didn't even notice. My wife woke up and woke me. She was really upset that an earthquake was going on. Kinda like she wanted me to do something about it. I yelled out, "You stop that now!" then went back to sleep. We both survived ONLY due to my timely intervention.

Hey, if the earthquake is going to kill you, you won't know about it, will you?
MrJapan
PO1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DLI78 wrote:
Mr. Japan,

LOL. Back in 1986 or so Taiwan had a serious earthquake early in the mornng. Being from California i didn't even notice. My wife woke up and woke me. She was really upset that an earthquake was going on. Kinda like she wanted me to do something about it. I yelled out, "You stop that now!" then went back to sleep. We both survived ONLY due to my timely intervention.

Hey, if the earthquake is going to kill you, you won't know about it, will you?

ROTFL!! That IS funny Laughing And you are right.. if it's gonna kill you, there's nothing you can do about it :/ so I just catch all the zzz's I can while I still have a chance Wink
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This doesn't disturb me at all. I am no lefty PC weenie with a skin so thin that I have a zero tolerance for anything politically incorrect. These guys in their Imperial Army & Navy uniforms are no different than some of the Civil War and Revolutionary War reenactors in the United States. This was part of their heritage and although they lost the war, they are probably hard working stiffs during most of the year, they probably enjoy this opportunity to dress up and do the heritage/reenactor thing. More power to 'um, they're probably having fun.
MrJapan
PO1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the earthquake:

No deaths, but many injuries up north :/ was only magnitude 4+ here, while up north it was 7.2 (ouch)... Lucky there were no deaths, think one of the injuries was an old lady.. broke her pelvis or something >.<

Biggest tsunami was about 60cm high or so.. but there is a warning for the aftershock for the next month or so..

You make a good point BuffaloJack. After all, it is part of their culture.. what IS disturbing though, is the fact where it takes place... that shrine is the WHOLE problem between here and the other Asian countries.. Yasukuni Shrine.. and that particular shrine has some pretty racial and discriminitory things written in Japanese on some the the monuments and documentaries..
MrJapan
PO1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... makes me worry a little...

Radiation leak
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BuffaloJack wrote:
This doesn't disturb me at all. I am no lefty PC weenie with a skin so thin that I have a zero tolerance for anything politically incorrect. These guys in their Imperial Army & Navy uniforms are no different than some of the Civil War and Revolutionary War reenactors in the United States. This was part of their heritage and although they lost the war, they are probably hard working stiffs during most of the year, they probably enjoy this opportunity to dress up and do the heritage/reenactor thing. More power to 'um, they're probably having fun.

Yes I am sure the people here on Guam (Northern Mariana Islands), Marshall Islands, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Micronesia, China, Philippines, Malaysia, Singapore, Korea, Indonesia, Southeast Asia and of course Hawaii would see it as just harmless fun by a bunch of kids.

Unfortunately it is difficult to forget millions of graves and the torture and humiliation they were put thru in some cases for nearly forty years. The Brown uniform and the riding boots of the Imperial Japanese Army are not a cherished image in my neighborhood.

Cool Cool Cool

Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrJapan wrote:
Hmmm... makes me worry a little...

Radiation leak

yep I would too..

Quote:
Aug 17, 10:59 AM EDT

Japan quake causes radioactive water spill from spent fuel storage pools; no leakage outside

TOKYO (AP) -- Water containing small amounts of radiation spilled out of spent fuel storage pools at two nuclear power plants in northern Japan when a powerful magnitude-7.2 earthquake shook the region, the plants' operator said Wednesday.

The water spill from the three pools - two at Fukushima No. 1 Nuclear Power Plant and the third at the separate No. 2 plant - did not leak radiation outside the compounds and workers were not exposed, Tokyo Electric Power Co. said. Fukushima is about 260 kilometers (160 miles) northeast of Tokyo.
BuffaloJack

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few young guys present, but most of these guys look older than most of the Swifties. I don't really see them as a threat.
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BuffaloJack wrote:

There are a few young guys present, but most of these guys look older than most of the Swifties. I don't really see them as a threat.

I seem to recall Chamberlin saying the same things about the Brown Shirts parading around. Only Churchill saw the threat for what it really was.

BTW the picture I posted showed Young Men in Japanese Imperial Army Uniforms; not Geriatrics in Japanese Imperial Naval uniforms. The tales of the abuses at the hands of the Imperial Army are well documented. The "Comfort Women" of China and Korea could tell you what life was like during their occupation.

Cool Cool Cool

BuffaloJack

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhantomSgt wrote:
Quote:
BTW the picture I posted showed Young Men in Japanese Imperial Army Uniforms; not Geriatrics in Japanese Imperial Naval uniforms. The tales of the abuses at the hands of the Imperial Army are well documented. The "Comfort Women" of China and Korea could tell you what life was like during their occupation.

The photo of the geriatrics is part of the same photo set that was posted at http://mdn.mainichi-msn.co.jp/photospecials/graph/050815yasukuni/1.html
There are probably a dozen or more photos in the set. Only one or two show young guys, most are just old vets like us. A year and a half ago, when the crew of the Confederate submarine CSS Hunley were buried, 5 or 6 thousand people showed up in Confederate uniforms for the funeral. The policically correct press had a field day condemning the show of Southern pride. I'm sure that many of the men wearing those same Confederate uniforms were former US servicemen, many highly decorated.
BuffaloJack

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhantomSgt wrote:
Quote:

The photo of the geriatrics is part of the same photo set that was posted at http://mdn.mainichi-msn.co.jp/photospecials/graph/050815yasukuni/1.html
There are probably a dozen or more photos in the set. Only one or two show young guys, most are just old vets like us. A year and a half ago, when the crew of the Confederate submarine CSS Hunley were buried, 5 or 6 thousand people showed up in Confederate uniforms for the funeral. The policically correct press had a field day condemning the show of Southern pride. I'm sure that many of the men wearing those same Confederate uniforms were former US servicemen, many highly decorated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: