SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Did you ever think you would hope to pay $2 for gas
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nutso
PO3

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: Did you ever think you would hope to pay $2 for gas Reply with quote

As I watch the prices jump around I was hit by the idea that I would love to see gas come down to $2.00 a gallon. Whats so absurd is that a short while ago if someone would have said you were going to spend that for gas you would have had them commited. Just an observation - maybe I DO have to much time on my hands.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How quickly we can be made to feel that $2/gal is acceptable. A cynic might think that it was a grand scheme.
FireFox
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gasoline prices are a lot higher in other countries and given the fundamentals
of energy production and use in the US, it's surprising that prices have been
so low for so long.
blue9t3
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pay a dollar ninty eight for milk. I think two buck gas would start a riot! Wink
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here I am wanting to go back to 15 cents a gal. and a free tankful with a oil change and lub job.
I need to buy a mule and buckboard wagon and forget the damn car.
But I would gladly go back to 'Just' 2 bucks a gal. Laughing

Dusty
jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK: Here I am, your willing target!

I HOPE GAS STAYS AT 3 BUCKS!

If oil stays at or above it's present price ($65+ per barrel), it is profitable to drill and pump the stuff from the reserves we have here in the continental US.

Which means we will (due to profit motives) re-deploy and continue to develop the wells that have been doing nothing for years. The break even price, I've been told, to pump OUR oil out of OUR dirt is right around $50.00 per barrel.

AND, American (largely) carmakers (GM, Ford, Chrysler) will continue to be forced to concentrate on building/designing the more efficient models.

My theory is that if the Middle Eastern and South American cartels continue charging exorbitant prices, not only do we become self-sufficient, the monies largely stay here in the country.
blue9t3
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, I say it's time to stick a flag in it! meaning If we give blood, its ours. I've heard enough. Its time to kick ass and take names, there is some worthless **** like the french that hate us. I am not willing to sit around being bad mouthed by scum, what good is it to have a big stick if everyone laughs at it?........I said what I meant, and I meant what I said. If you dont like it!..........die of something else! Evil or Very Mad
Snipe
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about shale oil. Some time ago I heard that it wouldn't be
economically feasible to process oil from shale with oil prices below
$30 a barrel. I think that it's time to start wringing oil out of the rocks.
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snipe wrote:

The fly in the ointment of anything we want to do to produce oil in this country or refine it is called E.P.A.

Dusty
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone remember what it was back in the 70's and everyone panicked and we had to ration gas? It was still under $2, wasn't it?
Snipe
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rdtf wrote:
Does anyone remember what it was back in the 70's and everyone panicked and we had to ration gas? It was still under $2, wasn't it?

Oh yeah it was under $2. It was under $1! The wisdom at the time was
when it went over $1 a gallon, there would be plenty of oil around. At
that time I was going to work at Long Beach Naval Station on a '71
BMW R60/5 that got 50 MPG.
jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dusty wrote:
Snipe wrote:

The fly in the ointment of anything we want to do to produce oil in this country or refine it is called E.P.A.

Dusty

E.P.A. is an "additional refinery" requirement problem (I think we operate at 90+ % capacity, already). I don't think the E.P.A. has much to do with existing (but stopped) oil rigs ... at least, I hope not. We've got tons of small oil rigs here in Colorado, as well as Wyoming, Nebraska, Utah, and Kansas doing a whole lot of nothing because up until recently, it cost more to operate the things than they would produce from the ground. My wife followed a T.V. "mini-series" which was done by this guy who took a busload of students from coast-to-coast for some school function: he was giving gas prices and interesting factual items on a daily basis for about two weeks on the trip. The man gave the impression that if we fired up ALL our oil rigs, we could make up for the large majority of our dependencies on foreign oil.

HEADS UP for anybody who's tax monies have gone for "open space" projects: We had an article in the paper (here in Colorado) that indicated the mineral rights for open space was not transferred when a city or county purchased a parcel of land for "open space" purposes. Which means, of course, that whoever has mineral rights for land the taxpayers paid for has every legal right to go back on that land and drill for oil!
jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snipe wrote:
Rdtf wrote:

Oh yeah it was under $2. It was under $1! The wisdom at the time was
when it went over $1 a gallon, there would be plenty of oil around. At
that time I was going to work at Long Beach Naval Station on a '71
BMW R60/5 that got 50 MPG

I think I remember hearing (probably Rush or an equivalent right wing extremist Laughing ) that allowing for inflation, the price then (It was just over a buck-thirty in my area) would have been around $4.00 in today's dollars.

Long Beach Naval Station ... 50 MPG, huh? You obviously were in the department of secrecy department, and had access to the magic carburetors we all knew the government was hiding and/or the auto makers had secretly purchased the patent rights to so they could keep making gas guzzlers. I had to settle for a '71 Chevy Vega which I bought on my last cruise back ... Chevy flew a rep aboard the carrier between Hawaii and California, and I paid $1700 cash for it, brand new. It only got 30 MPG ...
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In '71 I pumped gas for about 27 cents a gallon of ethel, regular or no-lead. We checked the oil, cleaned the windshield, gave NFL glasses with a $5 fillup and gave trading stamps with every purchase.

In the '73 crunch prices jumped into the 50 cent range. Ethel, full service, trading stamps and some 3000 gas stations went bye-bye.

In the '79 'mis-allocation' prices jumped to $1.50 when you could find it everyother day.

With inflation those prices are comparable to $3.00 today.

-Wlm Shakespeare
Armybrat/Armymom
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid $2.69.9 a gallon the other day thinking I was getting an especially good price after passing a couple of gas stations with $2.86.9 advertised then my husband came home and said he saw $2.65.9. Oh well. Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: