SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"My family voted in Iraq again"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:02 am    Post subject: "My family voted in Iraq again" Reply with quote

Forum member Bill Faith and his SmallTownVeteran blog got the attention of blog heavyweight ***** ******** of *********** . Great job Bill ! (although a NAME might have been nice gesture on the part of Mr. ********...sheesh Wink )

Quote:
My family voted in Iraq again.
Via email from Haider Ajina:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
My family voted in Iraq again.

Greetings All,

It seems that a larger percentage of Iraqis voted the constitutional ballot than in the election of January. 65-70%+ are the early numbers.

I spoke to my father last night about 8am his time in Nejaf and he said he was going to go vote at 9am. I did not get a hold of my Grand mother and cousins the lines to Baghdad were busy. I called my father gain around 9am my time. He said he had voted (yes for the constitution) and that the turnout was strong and matters were calm. Security in Nejaf was very good indeed he said. There are a number of neighborhood watches and Iraqi security patrols. He has not seen American soldiers patrolling the street in Nejaf for weeks now. His voice was strong and very very happy almost giddy I would say.

This vote alone was a great blow to the terrorists in Iraq. This was a great step towards a solid democracy in Iraq. The constitution now guarantees Iraqi’s rights and protects them from their government. The rule of law will prevail stronger now. I no longer fear for my Iraqi family from their government. They now truly hold their destiny in their hands, and they can plan for their future. The security issues are being dealt with on a daily basis and progress in Iraq is measurable and evident.

Again the Ajinas in McKinleyville CA and in Iraq owe a great thank you to the men and women of the USA (military & civilians) who are making all of this possible. Thank you for all your sacrifices, all your hard work, and your tenacity and vision and thank you for a bright future.

Regards
Haider Ajina
McKinleyville CA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All together now: Q-u-a-g m-i-r-e! V-i-e-t N-a-m! Bwu-ha-ha-ha-ha!!!!!

Linking to Stop The ACLU's Open Trackbacks post. Also to California Conservative, Holly Aho, The Political Teen, MY Vast Right Wing Conspiracy, Outside the Beltway, Wizbang!, The Indepundit, and The Mudville Gazette

Update: Welcome Instapundit readers and thank you, Glenn! I hope you'll click here to see my home page and come back often. I'm just a tired old vet doing what he can to keep the country he served headed in the right direction. Click here to see some of the other things Haider's sent me over the past few months.

SmallTownVeteran
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q-u-a-g m-i-r-e indeed
Voting at a higher percentage than in the Jan elections, with high probability of passage,,and the MSM (to use an old Daschel quote) are saddened, or at least confused.
They are truly stuck on stupid with superglue

Listening to the morning talk shows, Tommy Franks made a comment, something about the media doesnt know how to report good news.

As disconcerting it may be to the naysayers, Freedom reigns in Iraq.

IraqiGovernment.org
TEXT OF THE DRAFT IRAQI CONSTITUTION
(Translated from the Arabic by The Associated Press)
Bill Faith
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link #1. It's not too uncommon for Glenn Reynolds to just add a quick link like he did to me without mentioning names and I'm not upset; so far he's sent over 1400 people to my blog and I'll probably get a bunch more tomorrow from people who don't read blogs over the weekend.

Gotta brag on Haider Ajina a little more. He's an American citizen who spent roughly the first half of his life in Iraq and still has family there. His father moved back there not too long after the invasion. The first time I heard from him was after I posted about the Kevin Sites/Mosque/Marine incident and he wrote me:
Quote:
Greetings Bill,

I just spoke to my father in Baghdad. I asked him if there is any further mention of the U.S. Marine taped killing the terrorist in the Mosque last month in Felujah. He says there was not much mention at the time and there is sporadic mention of it now. Most of the news about it and what people talk about is in favor to what the Marine did. Most Iraqis including Sunnis are fed up with the terrorists and are very please with the strong stance we are taking against the terrorists. Terrorist who hide in a mosque deserve no sanctuary is the general sentiment. Sunni Mullahs who are still trying to make an issue of it are seeing people leave their mosques. Sunnis also feel that our Marine did the right thing, and wish us to continue to kill these terrorist.

Regards
Haider Ajina

Since then Haider has been sending me a steady stream of email, mostly translations of Arabic-language newspapers he gets via the internet. I probably post more of his stuff than any other blog on the net but Power Line occassionally posts things he's sent them and more recently The Mudville Gazette has started (I give myself credit for e-introducing Haider and Greyhawk). I was very pleasantly surprised to see tha Little Green Footballs posted the same letter from Haider that I did yesterday and hope that indicates a trend -- Haider works hard at getting the word out about the good news coming out of Iraq.
USAF 1970-1974
Viet Nam 1971-1972
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bill,

Added your blog to my favs, definately a nice read. Tell your daughter she is a great writer and should keep on writing. Her obserance of her child giving her faith was refreshing. She sees the world is much larger then the self. Love your Achtung! warning sign, hehe. That is basically your way of saying your commencing a blitzkrieg upon political correctness? If im wrong sorry but clever word usage regardless.
Bill Faith
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, GenXr. I hadn't thought of the Blitzkrieg connnection but I like the thought. Basically, I was just trying to catch all the important languages in that warning (You'll notice I didn't bother with Fwench.) I try to remember that my daughter and my sister read my blog and keep it from getting too out of line but occasionally I just can't help myself; hence the warning post.

I hadn't seen your blog before but I just added it to my Favorites and to my blogroll.
USAF 1970-1974
Viet Nam 1971-1972
wwIIvetsdaughter
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iraqi citizens seem to value the freedom midwifed by American troops moreso than Americans at home value the freedom bought and paid for in blood by American troops for the past two hundred plus years--how else to explain that they vote in a greater percentage (70+ vs just over 50%) than we do?
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The local Daily Diasappointment (Az Rep) a Gannet rag headlined how the high turn out of Sunnis was (hopefully) a vote "no" and end to this whole silly constitution thing.

Arguing where between 60-70% was the voter turnout is humerous in our republic where on average only 32% bother...save the 5% who don't know their polling stations or that they had to be registered.

We've become so blase about the graveyards voting Chicago or the thousands of unregistered votes in King County and Milwaukee, or the cast of Warner Bros. cartoons registered in Ohio.

Sometimes I'm like Dusty and want to grab my trench broom to sweep the streets.

What did Thoreau say? ...who would trust their vote to a popular gamble... any man more right than his constitutes a majority of one? (sic). Then again, Thoreau was the Cindy Sheehan of the Mexican War.

-Wlm Shakespeare
GenrXr

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I B Squidly wrote:

What did Thoreau say? ...who would trust their vote to a popular gamble... any man more right than his constitutes a majority of one? (sic). Then again, Thoreau was the Cindy Sheehan of the Mexican War.

Remember also IB that Jefferson said, "I am not a racist or a sexist" in regards to not granting suffrage to women or blacks. Instead he was afraid of the ignorant majority voting and the dangers a democracy poses. When Clinton was elected I couldnt help but say "we are in the midst of a true Democracy and our country is indeed in peril" We had 8 years of China getting all of our nuclear, GPS, second stage booster, and God knows what else technology and noone who voted for the fool has a clue, yet we have to worry about a whole new group of nations possessing nuclear arms now. It goes way beyond that but it is a start. Dangerous times indeed for our Republic.
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenXr,

Glad to see you hanging, grateful for the directs from your site.

Jefferson's writings allow him to be portrayed as the pre-eminent exponent of republican democracy, avatar of states rights, a tyrant wannabe of the first order, or what-ever you want him to be. He'ld have lost to Adams without Burr. He'd have lost to Burr without skulldugery. He is our first big D Democrat. I trust nothing of him but what's convenient for a sound bite. In his fifty years on the American scene he blew the wind to all quarters, mostly self-serving pusilanimy. True, he had a turn of phrase but that's common among 18th Century writers.

Funny, the to-and-fro of the 19th Century. The progressives wanted an expansion of the electorate while the Tories worried for the dilution of reason and that public libraries spread dangerous pretenses among the unclean.

I've recently reread a compendium of Eric Hoffer. He dramatically contrasts the Old World where nothing is accomplished without the centrallly controlled direction of the 'elites' or presumed elites whether it's the French Revolt and Napoleon or Russia and Lenin, against America where for most of our history the central government was a deliberately fumbling ineptitude and all significant technical, social and economic accomplishment rises from the anarchy of the self-gratifiing criminals, misfits, and failures who escaped Europe. He celebrates an America where 'elites' are rightfully held in disregard and derision. Ivy League degrees, and the title 'expert' immediately subject the holder to suspicion as most of America's greatest moments fall to emigrees of dubious provenance or locals without pedigree.

Before he died this working class Democrat decried the McGovern revolution of a Dr. Spock derived, libertine aberation. He rails against the Sputnik education entitlements that got misdirected from the sciences to radical humanities and a coterie of educational facists.

I don't do him justice. He's a must read.

Is there a thing of which it can be said, "See, this is new"?, no it has been before. -Ecclesiates

-Wlm Shakespeare
jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: "My family voted in Iraq again" Reply with quote

Me#1You#10 wrote:

<SNIP>

[size=12]All together now: Q-u-a-g m-i-r-e! V-i-e-t N-a-m! Bwu-ha-ha-ha-ha!!!!!
<SNIP>

I just can't.
I keep trying for "Quagmire" and "VietNam", but my brain just immediately takes me to "Bwu-ha-ha-ha-ha".

I'll keep trying Laughing
Bill Faith
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't try too hard. You could break your brain and turn into a Liberal.
USAF 1970-1974
Viet Nam 1971-1972
GenrXr

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bill for the Blogroll, I will reciprocate once I get my rolling finished.

I B Squidly wrote:
GenXr,

Glad to see you hanging, grateful for the directs from your site.

Jefferson's writings allow him to be portrayed as the pre-eminent exponent of republican democracy, avatar of states rights, a tyrant wannabe of the first order, or what-ever you want him to be. He'ld have lost to Adams without Burr. He'd have lost to Burr without skulldugery. He is our first big D Democrat. I trust nothing of him but what's convenient for a sound bite. In his fifty years on the American scene he blew the wind to all quarters, mostly self-serving pusilanimy. True, he had a turn of phrase but that's common among 18th Century writers.

Funny, the to-and-fro of the 19th Century. The progressives wanted an expansion of the electorate while the Tories worried for the dilution of reason and that public libraries spread dangerous pretenses among the unclean.

I've recently reread a compendium of Eric Hoffer. He dramatically contrasts the Old World where nothing is accomplished without the centrallly controlled direction of the 'elites' or presumed elites whether it's the French Revolt and Napoleon or Russia and Lenin, against America where for most of our history the central government was a deliberately fumbling ineptitude and all significant technical, social and economic accomplishment rises from the anarchy of the self-gratifiing criminals, misfits, and failures who escaped Europe. He celebrates an America where 'elites' are rightfully held in disregard and derision. Ivy League degrees, and the title 'expert' immediately subject the holder to suspicion as most of America's greatest moments fall to emigrees of dubious provenance or locals without pedigree.

Before he died this working class Democrat decried the McGovern revolution of a Dr. Spock derived, libertine aberation. He rails against the Sputnik education entitlements that got misdirected from the sciences to radical humanities and a coterie of educational facists.

I don't do him justice. He's a must read.

Is there a thing of which it can be said, "See, this is new"?, no it has been before. -Ecclesiates

You are right I B. Blah, I love that quote from Jefferson though because it explains how Clinton got elected.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: