SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Documents = Nixon Deception on Cambodia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kimberly
PO2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:21 pm    Post subject: Documents = Nixon Deception on Cambodia Reply with quote

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051116/ap_on_re_us/nixon_papers

WASHINGTON - Even after Richard Nixon's secret war in Cambodia became known, the president persisted in deception. "Publicly, we say one thing," he told aides. "Actually, we do another."

Newly declassified documents from the Nixon years shed light on the Vietnam War, the struggle with the Soviet Union for global influence and a president who tried not to let public and congressional opinion get in his way."
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you're at war, you have to try to deceive the enemy as long as you can.
Good thing we didn't have the same 'expose the U.S. Government's deceptions to the enemy every time we get the chance just because we can' mentality during WWll. We would all be speaking German now.
The criminal activity was not Nixon's, it was the people who exposed his secret strategies to the world.

Dusty
kimberly
PO2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dusty wrote:
When you're at war, you have to try to deceive the enemy as long as you can.
Good thing we didn't have the same 'expose the U.S. Government's deceptions to the enemy every time we get the chance just because we can' mentality during WWll. We would all be speaking German now.
The criminal activity was not Nixon's, it was the people who exposed his secret strategies to the world.

Dusty

thanks dusty....sometimes I have difficulty with this stuff....does this change anything we have discovered about Kerry as relates to his Cambodia stories?
Kimberly
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was not Nixon's war as the Lib's would have us believe. It was Robert McNamara's, the Sec of Defense under Kennnedy and Lyndon Johnson (Democrats for the historically challanged). Richard Nixon inherited this in 1969 and did his best to conclude it honorably, but the Libs and John sKerry did their best to make it FUBAR with considerable success. We are still paying the price in many ways.
mtboone
Founder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GM Strong wrote:
This was not Nixon's war as the Lib's would have us believe. It was Robert McNamara's, the Sec of Defense under Kennnedy and Lyndon Johnson (Democrats for the historically challanged). Richard Nixon inherited this in 1969 and did his best to conclude it honorably, but the Libs and John sKerry did their best to make it FUBAR with considerable success. We are still paying the price in many ways.

This war goes back to Truman, then Eisenhower, then Kennedy who started the troop insertion before Johnson and Nixon who just **** on the people of Vietnam and left them to die in great numbers because the American people did not have the strength to stay the course against Russia and China. Viet Nam was to me, screwed by both the repubs and the dems.

Now Iraq is becoming the same type of situation as VN as the media would like. It is like here we go again and if the people of the US go along with it, I hope the voters go against the wrong ones and the leftist against our troops.
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtboone wrote:
GM Strong wrote:

This war goes back to Truman, then Eisenhower, then Kennedy who started the troop insertion before Johnson and Nixon who just s**t on the people of Vietnam and left them to die in great numbers because the American people did not have the strength to stay the course against Russia and China. Viet Nam was to me, screwed by both the repubs and the dems.

Now Iraq is becoming the same type of situation as VN as the media would like. It is like here we go again and if the people of the US go along with it, I hope the voters go against the wrong ones and the leftist against our troops.

mtboone is correct in that it starts with Truman. Goto any liberal website today and see how they view Truman, he is nothing short of the Anti-Christ. Why? Because Truman believed in containment of evil communist scum, and he threw 2 nuclear bombs on the Japanese to show he meant business. The sad fact is only America has bled blood since WWII for humanity as opposed to any other country. We are strongly reluctant to goto war, yet still do to save the life of the innocent even though we are villified for not acting correctly within the liberal mindset? The left should observe why people such as Hitchens and Horowitz are beginning to find God as opposed to their panties being tight. Maybe then they will see some truth in this world we live in.
kimberly
PO2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a 'jr high schooler' in the late 60s and paid little if no attention to the politics, current or historical. Now I find myself learning alot from you all and am saddened by my lack of interest. I suppose 'boys' were more important at the time.

That being said, I am forever grateful for the work done here to defeat sKerry! Just as I was breathing a sigh of relief, however, it's as though we are suddenly on the brink of a political civil war that is being waged by the democrats. Its like a war that we must win at home, while we are already at war! I keep expecting at any moment now for the Iraq War version of sKerry to step up to the plate. For those of you who actually 'lived' through this before, it must feel like serious deja vu. The media seems intent on supporting the democrats position, making mountains out of mole hills if necessary. Yesterday I heard Pelosi, in an argument for San Fran vs. O'Reilly, mention a draft. Is that a 'threat' they will use next? I am glad that the administration seems to be coming around, though I don't know if what they do is effective. I'd be interested in knowing this from you all....you have had 35plus years to reflect on all that was Vietnam/Kerry. Since that time have any 'should of, would of, could of's' come to mind? You know, aside from the obvious, anything else that you wished 'we' had done differently then, things perhaps that should be done today. In other words, how do we begin to win, on behalf of our troops, the 'war' at home?
kimberly
PO2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see an actual transcript of this.....I get the impression that Wilson might just think he's the next sKerry.

http://baltimorechronicle.com/2005/111605Hughes.shtml

Joe Wilson Rips the Bush-Cheney Administration During Lecture in Baltimore
by William Hughes

Speaking of the Bush-Cheney administration, Wilson charged, “These guys are ‘Brownshirts!’ We are talking about a small group of people who masquerade as Republicans, but are not Republicans at all. They are radicals...”Only a stone’s throw from fabled Penn Station in this historic port city stands the University of Baltimore. It is best known nationally for its School of Law. On Nov. 14, 2005, ex-U.S. Ambassador Joseph C. Wilson spoke in the Lansdale Library there, at a “citizenship forum.” His lecture was cosponsored by the school’s public affairs department and the Randolph B. Rosencrantz Memorial Fund. Wilson was in top form and held little back in his remarks. He was also enthusiastic in his praise of the Iraqi war-related exposé--“The Downing Street Memos.”

In a wide-ranging talk entitled “Speaking the Truth to Power and its Consequences,” Wilson reviewed for the record how his wife, Valerie Plame Wilson, was “outed” by members of the Bush-Cheney administration. This, he said, came only after he had revealed, in a July, 2003, New York Times Op Ed piece, how President George W. Bush misled the nation in his “State of the Union” address in January 2003, about Iraq’s supposedly attempting to secure “yellowcake uranium” from an African country in order to build a nuclear bomb. The yarn about the alleged Niger uranium, Wilson, emphasized, was needed by manipulators in the administration in order to wrongly mesmerize the American people with the frightening image of a phony smoking gun in the form of “a mushroom cloud.”
The powers that be want to make people who work in the government “very afraid, and, indeed, people have been afraid” to speak out, Wilson reported.....

Wilson called his Op Ed piece an “act of civic duty,” made necessary because the Bush-Cheney administration had no intention of “coming clean” with the American people. He added that the Establishment has been "making my life miserable ever since, by making me into a political adversary.” Somewhere along the line, Wilson speculated, the Bush-Cheney group has decided that the best way to take him out was “to also take my family out. He suggested that the Bush administration was publicly battering him in order to send a message to others that they would suffer a similar fate as he and his wife have if they were to dare to “step forward into the public square and to challenge the way this government took us to war.” The powers that be want to make people who work in the government “very afraid, and, indeed, people have been afraid” to speak out, Wilson reported........

Wilson continued his comments by talking about Judy Miller, the controversial ex-New York Times reporter. He said, “With respect to Judy Miller: Was she trying to protect [Dick] Cheney? It’s just all too murky for me to try and figure out...I just want to talk about the fact that she spent 85 days in jail because Lewis Libby was too cowardly to step forward and accept responsibility for his own actions. ,......

I find him [Libby] really a slime ball. The fact that he would allow, that he would go, first of all, after my wife, and then allow Judy Miller to spend 85 days in jail, and then, now, he says he want to clear his good name. This is a serial abuser...”

He was also incensed about what he labeled an "egregious” attack on his family by [Rep.] Peter T. King, a congressman from Long Island, NY. He said that King, “in his blind ambition to be named the next chair of the [House] Homeland Security Committee, had stepped out to say of my wife, ‘She got what she deserved!’”.......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: