SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Has Anyone You Know Ever Recieved a Polling Call?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:39 am    Post subject: Has Anyone You Know Ever Recieved a Polling Call? Reply with quote

I was curious if anyone here has recieved a call from a person taking a National Poll and what were the questions?

It would also be interesting to find out what areas of the country were polled.

Geography can slant a poll in whatever direction the pollster desires. If NBC conducts a poll and asks questions of people from NY, LA or Chicago exclusively, the results would be biased against the current administration.

Cool Cool Cool

Independent that leans right of center.
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought polls were completely BS prior to the 04' election. I could not believe that Kerry was close to Bush in votes. Then the numbers came in and there was a seperation of maybe 4 million with the highest turnout since WWII, yet the red/blue map was basically all red?

I have a feeling the polls are very unscientific and the left cheats and stuffs the ballot boxes in the districts they control.

Lets face it.

No way in hell there are as many crazies as supposedly voted for Lurch in 04'.

But then again maybe I am just delusional. I thought no way in hell would New Yorkers vote for a democrat when the terrorists are trying to get a nuke into their state to blow up Manhatten. Yet they did vote for Kerry lock step or stuffed the boxes as they have never done in the past. To this day I have trouble understanding how the left can invite their own death by an enemy they align themselves with.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only polling calls I've ever received were for products and services. I do answer surveys from Zogby's occassionally in email, but I also hear reports of his poll results that were not questions on polls I received.
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a clue as to the accuracy of polls is the fact that we are constantly introduced to "Democratic Pollsters" or "Republican pollsters" on talk shows. These guys know every zip code in the country and whether they're red or blue. They can easily shape results through design of questions and therefore get pretty much what their masters want.

A lot of polling is done, I'm afraid, to drive opinion rather than to assess it. It could be that pollsters like Zogby, Gallup, Harris, Marist, etc. are straight but who knows?

And no, I've never been polled on national matters.

Schadow
GM Strong

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only poll I ever got was one on TV viewing. I told the pollster I don't watch much TV and she said "That's OK, we need your kind of input too." For fun I went along. At the end the pollster exclaimed "You weren't kidding when you said you don't watch much TV!" My average monthy TV viewing is between 0-1 hrs.

I did have someone call recently on what was apparently a political poll (they called it a survey) and when I told them I would not vote for John McCain, it ended. I wonder who it was for??
BuffaloJack

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received a call after the last election asking if I was satisfied with the recent election process. I answered and then they asked if I believed that George Bush was lying more or less than he did before the previous presidential election. I promptly hung up. Isn't that like the old trick question, "Are you still beating your wife?" These liberals are shameless.
Uisguex Jack
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Isn't that like the old trick question, "Are you still beating your wife?"

Thru the years I've answered quite a few pollitcal polls on the phone... and more often than not this is the sort of questions you get non stop. Me thinks this might have something to do with why polls rarely reflect the reality of the ballot boxxes...... ever!
GM Strong

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uisguex Jack wrote:
Quote:

Thru the years I've answered quite a few pollitcal polls on the phone... and more often than not this is the sort of questions you get non stop. Me thinks this might have something to do with why polls rarely reflect the reality of the ballot boxxes...... ever!

Usually the Libs feel good when answering these "push polls" as they get to vent their anger and frustration. Mostly, more reasonable people decline to participate or just hang up.
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BuffaloJack wrote:
I received a call after the last election asking if I was satisfied with the recent election process. I answered and then they asked if I believed that George Bush was lying more or less than he did before the previous presidential election. I promptly hung up. Isn't that like the old trick question, "Are you still beating your wife?" These liberals are shameless.

So it is not only geography that determines a polls outcome, it is how a question is presented to a respondent.

It would seem that a pollster could simply not turn in negative responses and shape the result to their own or a client's personal preference.

Is there a chance the liberal MSM shapes the outcome to shore up their own liberal agendas?

Anti-War, Anti-Bush and Anti Christ.

Cool Cool Cool

GM Strong

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhantomSgt wrote:
BuffaloJack wrote:

So it is not only geography that determines a polls outcome, it is how a question is presented to a respondent.

It would seem that a pollster could simply not turn in negative responses and shape the result to their own or a client's personal preference.

Is there a chance the liberal MSM shapes the outcome to shore up their own liberal agendas?

Anti-War, Anti-Bush and Anti Christ.

Cool Cool Cool

This is what is meant by a "Push Poll". It's loaded and biased to push an agenda or conclusion.
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope! Never been contacted.
Polls are BS.
As evidenced by the last election where all the major polls had Goofball ahead by a comfortable margin yet he seems to have lost by almost 4 million votes.
But boy do the news media love to quote em. Like they really mean somthing. Bad new is that a lot of the American public falls for the BS apparently.
Dusty
baldeagle
PO2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GM Strong wrote:
Uisguex Jack wrote:
Quote:

Usually the Libs feel good when answering these "push polls" as they get to vent their anger and frustration. Mostly, more reasonable people decline to participate or just hang up.

I've been called a couple of times and that was my response, as soon as they said "poll", I say "not interested" and hang up. I figure there's a lot of folks like me that tends to skew the polls, so thats the reason I don't put much stock in them.
"In a word, I want an American character, that the powers of Europe may be convinced we act for ourselves and not for others; this, in my judgment, is the only way to be respected abroad and happy at home." --George Washington
Nutso
PO3

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been polled a number of times over the years both locally and nationally.
For a while about 20 yrs ago I would get calls asking me questions and then a number of times I was brought in to focus groups on things such as local news, where they paid me for my time. It actually was fun sometimes.
The one I wanted I never got, it was for grad students at the time. they would be given new cars along with expenses paid to drive for a month and then do an evaluation on it. A good friend was into this until they gave him a Volvo to test - 13 yrs later he was still driiving it.
The strangest one I ever got was one where they asked my wife and I to take a national psychological test they were recertifying. It came through my college at the time. They told us that they had to give it to many tens of thousands of people to recertify the test. We agreed and showed up at another college campus to take the test.
It took us about 2 hours to take it for which we got something like 50 dollars each. What really made me mad is this group of people administering the tests had a lot of the students from this college taking the test and they would sit down and never open the test book - just race through and fill in the spots on the answer sheets as fast as they could, and no one said anything, but pay them and they would leave.
It really shows the honesty of some people.
On the up side if you are ever told you are insane - don't sweat it, they are basing it on me!!!!
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is surprising that not one person in this forum have said they had been contacted by Zogby, Gallop or any other of the well known "national" pollsters.

Do they call the same thousand people each time? Are the selected respondents loaded in speed dial?

Take for example if I was a pollster contracted by the DNC to gauge presidential support. The DNC asked for the result to include the President's home state of Texas.

If I limited my polling to the area around Austin I'm positive we could gather the result my client was looking for.

Cool Cool Cool

LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zogby surveys by email also and includes questions about your political affiliations, age, state and such, no names. I've been doing Zogby for a couple years now, but based on some results I hear, either the questions weren't asked of me or they were so skewed that I didn't recognize them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: