SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question for a Navy Veteran/Active Duty

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wwIIvetsdaughter
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:46 pm    Post subject: Question for a Navy Veteran/Active Duty Reply with quote

Recently, my friend's layabout daughter entered the Navy. I was hopefull the Navy could whip this lazy, undisciplined individual into shape. A big party was held for her before she departed. Just over a month later, her mother told everyone she was being discharged and shipped back because it was discovered she had scoliosis. Scoliosis is a curvature of the spine. I suspect this was hogwash for several reasons 1) she had never had any back problems before 2) although the scoliosis announcement was made in the middle of the month after her induction, she wasn't sent home till the following month 3) no mention of any medical care for the scoliosis since her return 4) her lazy, whining nature. I think she proved to be insubordinate and unfit for duty and the Navy decided to get rid of her. I also think she was in the brige as punishment for some infraction hence the delay in her return. Could anyone comment? Are not Navy recruits given a physical BEFORE enlistment? Thanks!
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever reasons she had for leaving the service are her own business. Any comment or speculation by anyone else including the Navy is inappropriate. It's probably best to give her the benefit of the doublt and let it be.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been lots of people that couldn't make it through Basic Training over the years. Whatever the reason, she did at least go in. If she mustered out for any reason of insubordination or whatever, let it go. Let her and her Mom work it out.

On the other hand, if she is as lazy and all as you say, just be glad she isn't your daughter Wink

Seriously, like BuffaloJack said, I wouldn't make a big deal over it, unless you no longer wish to have your friend. Let it stay between them.
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could very well be the scoliosis wasn't detected right away. It is a progressive condition that doesn't become evident except over time or by physical stress. Could be. Bummer.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have severe scoliosis. 54 degree curve in my spine and 35 down below.
when i enlisted in '72 i was asked to go back and get another chest x-ray at the induction.
i knew they seen my backbone and wouldn't take me so i never went back to get the xray. i just stayed in the line i was in.
kinda snuck in the navy if you will.
after two years i had enough and went to sick bay. figured i'd go home instead of taking crap off an e6 who i didn't get along with too well. when the doctors found out
they couldn't discharge me fast enough.
docford
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have worked in the medical section of recruit intake. If the scoliosis was bad enough to be a problem, it would have been caught and she never would have passed the physical. The Navy is not desparate for warm bodies. Something like that would not have been ignored. She may have scoliosis (as I do) that is mild. If she was administratively discharged from boot camp it was for another reason.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: