SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A former POW speaks on Torture, John McCain & SKerry

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
docford
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:27 am    Post subject: A former POW speaks on Torture, John McCain & SKerry Reply with quote

From former POW MAJOR MARK A .SMITH,USA,RETIRED

http://greasyonline.com/article95.html

Torture, ex-POW Maj. Mark Smith Speaks out
Posted on December 20, 2005

Introductory Note:
I have had the honor to associate with Maj. Mark Smith over the years both in the U.S.A. and in S.E. Asia. I have been in the company of Senators John McCain and John Kerry. Maj. Smith has proven to be a man of honor. The senators have proven not to be.

/s/ Danny "Greasy" Belcher, Executive Director Task Force Omega of KY Inc. Vietnam Infantry Sgt. 68-69 "D" Troop 7th Sqdn. 1st Air Cav

Letter from Maj. Smith

Dear Sir,
I have watched with interest as the unschooled and untrained comment on the recent "McCain Amendment" dealing with the use of torture.I stand totally behind the scrupulous adherence to international and United States laws governing the treatment of enemy POWS.But,this legislation only blurs the line on who is covered.The Law Of Land Warfare and the Geneva Convention are very specific about who is covered as combatants and who may be treated as war criminals,without statute protection.

My fellow returned POW John McCain,once again sets himself up as an "expert"on something he seems to know little about.His time as a POW gives him no special insight into the type of prisoners/detainees under discussion.His cohort John Kerry has even less reason to comment on this issue.Frankly,both seem to come off as rank amateurs in the realm of war under discussion.These detainees,captured in civilian clothing and using the civilian populace as shields and even targets, require no special laws to protect them and quite frankly may be shot outright as spies/saboteurs.McCain himself was a victim of a country which did not adhere to even the most basic of acceptable behavior in their treatment of uniformed POWs.Yet,John wishes terrorists and those suspected of being terrorists to be treated as a uniformed Soldier must be treated,under international law.This is not only wrong,but,downright stupid.This discussion certainly makes strange bedfellows as McCain lies down next to those who said John and I deserved no decent treatment and deserved to be killed as war criminals.But,John at this point seems beyond shame in who he will ally with to further some personal agenda.

I am sorry the President felt compelled to sign into law a piece of legislation with no practical meaning except to burden our already over regulated warriors.Our Soldiers,Marines,SEALS and civilians know the rules of war and who is covered by them.It is shameful the media,legislators and even veterans,including at least one former POW do not.Frankly,this latest advice by McCain and Kerry is almost as silly as these two Sailors commenting on how many troops are required to fight a ground war and the following insurgency.It is time for the two Johns to simply shut up as they are out of their league and frankly these latest actions have no honor and are shameful.

/s/ MAJOR MARK A .SMITH,USA,RETIRED 2723 WEST 179TH STREET TORRANCE CA 90504,TEL;310-366-7231/FAX;SAME
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well written letter.

I am becoming convinced that McCain is trying his best to move the Republican Party further to the left and unfortunately, he is being aided by a few RINOs.

Going to the left has all but destroyed the once great Democrat Party. Can we allow them to do the same to the Republican Party?

I can only hope that neither of these 'Johns' ever makes it to POTUS!
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maj. Smith wrote,

Quote:
Frankly,this latest advice by McCain and Kerry is almost as silly as these two Sailors commenting on how many troops are required to fight a ground war and the following insurgency.

Ouch Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: