SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Persons of the Year"?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: "Persons of the Year"? Reply with quote

About the only consolation I can find in this abject elevation of feel-good leftism is the indigestion that must be occuring over the canonization of the Microsoft monster himself. Laughing (emphasis mine)

Quote:
The Good Samaritans
For being shrewd about doing good, for rewiring politics and re-engineering justice, for making mercy smarter and hope strategic and then daring the rest of us to follow, Bill and Melinda Gates and Bono are TIME's Persons of the Year.
By NANCY GIBBS
Posted Sunday, Dec. 18, 2005

These are not the people you expect to come to the rescue.

Rock stars are designed to be shiny, shallow creatures, furloughed from reality for all time. Billionaires are even more removed, nestled atop fantastic wealth where they never again have to place their own calls or defrost dinner or fly commercial. So Bono spends several thousand dollars at a restaurant for a nice Pinot Noir, and Bill Gates, the great predator of the Internet age, has a trampoline room in his $100 million house. It makes you think that if these guys can decide to make it...

Time - cont'd
AMOS
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Joke Reply with quote

What a joke. What's all this whoop-de-do crap about Bono? What about Tookie?
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the rarefied, guilt-laden atmosphere of an elitist Time editorial boardroom, homage to the wealth re-distributors is a sure bet.
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The list of people who mattered will make you ill.

Included are Momma Moonbat, McCain for the Al Queda Bill of Rights and Harry Reid for nuking SocSec Reform and Geena Davis - for what???

It's a magazine for Moonbats.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time can't understand why I canceled my subscription Rolling Eyes

To me, a good choice would have been Iraqis sporting purple fingers
SBD
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Time really wanted to pick the most famous men of the year, it should have been the US Soldier for their fight against terrorism and bulding a Democracy in the Middle East.

BTW,
The picture looks as if, just before the picture was taken, Bono tried to grab Melinda's A** or something. So she went to hide behind the globe and Bill liked it!!

SBD
GM Strong

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.. and that globe is showing Africa, the world's basket case and center for despots and thugs. A serious move to relieve the poverty would be to counteract the corruption, thievery and brutality of the governments, not throw money at them. Those people need a whole lot more than rich liberal folks giving alms to feel better. Dictatorial gangsters like Mugabe do not make things better for their people.
blue9t3
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are brutal! Maybe It should go to the new iraq police/army. Play it up big-time after al-jazeera becomes a glass lined swimming pool? Shocked
Doll
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pathetic! My mother does all kinds of cheritable works. SHE should of been nominated!

Just another left sickening "spin". Evil or Very Mad

The HILL Chronicles

Soldiers' Angels

"Wednesday Hero - Google It!"
GenrXr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me#1You#10 wrote:
In the rarefied, guilt-laden atmosphere of an elitist Time editorial boardroom, homage to the wealth re-distributors is a sure bet.

The irony to me is Carnegie had guilt shortly before his death and his contributions were more of a personal redemption then anything else, yet we have a story calling gates a philantrhopic predator.

Gates is giving his money at a very young age and his rise to great riches was IBM, DEC and Apple's decision the future was hardware and not software. I have never thought of a rabbit feasting upon a healthy lion as a predator.

The true beauty of Microsoft is that the rabbit ate the lion.

I am very unhappy with the OS, yet it HAS improved everyones life beyond our imagination.

For those people who at one time kept a paper ledger, I am sure there is consensus.

As for who should of been the people of the year?

The coalition soldiers who made possible Iraq's Democracy!

Duh!
wwIIvetsdaughter
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read my Time magazine less and less. Over the past few years, I have noted it's bias and am letting my subscription expire, one I've had continously for 30 years. Any suggestions on a good newsmagazine to replace it? What about the National Standard?
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WWIIvetsDaughter,

A caution about those old Times. They're not absorbent and don't work well in the small room. I cancelled Newsweek 30 years ago and can't recommend a replacement. Here on this site you should realize dead trees should've been left to grow.

Every deadtree, old media you can remember the name of is here on the web. Some want subsriptions but anything worthwhile (and not archived) appears somewhere free.

Local admin does an excellant job linking items of interest. After Drudge this is my daily must read. Townhall, Frontpage, Freepers and on and on reflect my interest. You'l have yours and they're only a keystroke away.

-Wlm Shakespeare

Last edited by I B Squidly on Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total
AMOS
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: The American Enterprise magazine Reply with quote

I canceled Time mag. subscription yesterday, 12/23 and tried to cancel Newsweek, too, but they were closed for the weekend! What service! Where am I?

I'm going to stick with Sports Illustrated and Reader's Digest so I don't get pissed off so much.

How about The American Enterprise magazine?
GM Strong

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two best for the VRWC readers are National Review and The American Spectator.
USAFE5
PO2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the only important things on the last page of the "living" section in my local paper - the colored page on sundays
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: