SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alexander Hamilton on the current day Left

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:10 am    Post subject: Alexander Hamilton on the current day Left Reply with quote

At breakfast yesterday someone at the table commented Hamilton wanted a Monarch as opposed to an executive with the powers given by the constitution. I tried to explain how inaccurate this was and eventually told the person proof would be forthcoming. After buying a paperback edition of the Federalist Papers to give to the person, I decided to read papers 67-70 to mark the main points. It was Hamilton who argued in the papers for our executive branch and its powers as defined by the Constitution and while powerful, they are hardly the powers of a Monarch.

While reading paper 70 Hamilton warns of Kerry, McCain, Pelosi, Dean, Reid & the rest.

As the years pass my fondness for Hamilton grows.

Hamilton writes,

Men often oppose a thing merely because they have had no agency in planning it, or because it may have been planned by those whom they dislike. But if they have been consulted and have happened to disapprove, opposition then becomes in their estimation an indispensible duty of self love. They seem to think themselves bound in honor, and by all the motives of personal infallibility to defeat the sucess of what has been resolved upon, contrary to their sentiments. Men of upright, benevolent tempers have too many opportunities of remarking with horror, to what desperate lengths this disposition is sometimes carried, and how often the great interests of society are sacrificed to the vanity, to the conceit and to the obstinacy of individuals, who have credit enough to make their passions and their caprices interesting to mankind. Perhaps the question now before the public may in its consequences afford melancholy proofs of the effects of this despicable frailty, or rather detestable vice in the human character.

Last edited by GenrXr on Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:32 am; edited 5 times in total
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a remarkable quote genrxr...almost as though he knew the aforementioned intimately.
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me#1You#10 wrote:
Quite a remarkable quote genrxr...almost as though he knew the aforementioned intimately.

Definately.
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh that's good GenrXr. Hamilton was a seer I do believe.

He was damn sure writing expressly about the attitude the Commiecrats are displaying in the halls of Congress at the present time.

Dusty
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In today's "Opinion Journal" Taranto has sport with the reasoning of the Hate America First crowd by quoting another old dead white guy (and everyone's favorite science fiction writer), Robert Heinlein:

Quote:
I found in traveling around the world that a great many people . . ., apparently well educated and sophisticated, were convinced that the people of the United States were in the grip of terror and that free speech and free press no longer existed here. They believed that the United States was fomenting a third world war and would presently start it, with Armageddon consequences for everyone else, and that the government of the United States smashed without mercy anyone who dared to oppose even by oral protests this headlong rush toward disaster.

These people could "prove" their opinions by quoting any number of Americans and American newspapers and magazines. That they were able to quote such American sources proved just the opposite, namely that we do continue to enjoy free speech even to express arrant nonsense and unpopular opinion, escaped them completely.

-Wlm Shakespeare
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quote, GenrXr!!
I appreciate your sense of the history of our country and
the insight and intent of our founding fathers.
IMO, too many of the younger generation have no clue as to the wisdom and prescience of those old dead white men. I blame our deteriorating education system (thanks to the Left). With each new update of history texts, PC and multiculturism has shifted emphasis away from the Founders.
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
3rd gen Navy
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hamilton AND Heinlein...two of my personal faves....if you need a Reader's Digest condensed version of the latter, I reccomend picking up the Notebooks of Lazarus Long...
BS Biology, Business Administration, Nursing
The Deal with Life: Make decisions based on what you might gain, not on what you may lose.
!!!!!! LET THE WILD RUMPUS BEGIN !!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: